Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 UK Manual Towbar Accessory Limit of 55Kgs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I spoke to my Insurer, Direct Line, today @KendoNagasaki ... the only policy wording they spoke about related to towing a wheeled trailer, but they did confirm that a bike rack accessory was fine to use on the car and did not count as a modification.

However, they did state that the bike rack needed to be used properly and in accordance with the guidelines from Tesla, and they said that they would not determine this (though I suspect they might want to get involved in this determination if it came to a claim!)

So things do seem to hinge on whether the quote you found from the Tesla manual about conflicts between the manual and the Certificate of Conformity / Hitch Plate applies.

Unfortunately not much clearer than before :(

Interesting position for DirectLine to take. Sounds like it is customer service passing the buck without sending to legal or an assessor for a view but it would worry me.
If they have said you have to act in accordance with Tesla guidelines, I’d worry they will say the 55kg is a guideline you should have followed despite the statement that the CoC is formally the max load.

I’ve asked the same question of Admiral and will share what they respond.

So I thought I would do an experiment on a kitchen scale... I have a fairly fancy electric one which states things to the nearest gram. So I placed an object right in the middle of the scale and noted the weight (it was 1025g)... and then I moved the object so nearly half of the object was over the edge of the scale, sort of cantilevered out... and the weight was still 1025g. So my little kitchen experiment seems to indicate that nose weight for Bike Carriers really can (and should) be calculated by adding up all the weights of the bike plus the Rack (just like the sellers were telling me).
@KendoNagasaki spotted above.

As you are on kitchen scales they are taking the average of their points of contact under them - not a point load like on a towball. To re-create the towing example you would need to glue the feet to your table, then hang your weight beyond its balance point off the side, and glue it to the scales too, to get an equivalent situation.

An more representative experiment for at home is go and fill a bucket of water (or just wait till next time you are washing your car...). Hold the bucket in at your chest. Pretty easy, could do for a while, pretty easy to walk around, up/down stairs etc. (baring some slight slop). Now hold it out at arms length and see how long you last? Try up and down a few steps (equivalent of say a speed bump). Same weight, much bigger forces for the same set of muscles to deal with - same things on the car.

I suspect the numbers are all related. 100kg static weight or nose weight is a vertical weight. 55kg is making some assumptions about the off-center weight, distance that it is applied from and so on. Do some sums, and it come out ~55kg?

On the insurance side, a) try not to have an accident b) really try not to have an accident that involves the towbar failing c) unless b happens, is anyone really going to go and weigh your bikes after the fact and invalidate any claim? At worst as a standard part of the process you might be asked 'were you using any accessories?' yes - 'were you using them all as designed?' - yes, I had 4 bikes on my 4 bike carrier.

That said, I wouldn't be putting 4 20kg ebikes on the back.

I've only just shopped this thread and while I can't unfortunately help but I did find it interesting that they list details for vehicles with 20" wheels. Does that mean that is Performance owners can now have a tow bar?

Although both would imply towing a caravan?

My understanding is that, yes, the towing capacity for something with its own wheels is 1,000 Kg. This figure of 1,000Kg is also an in the R- value of the Hitch Type Approved plate.

I do not believe the Manual contradicts these figures, and in any case, @KendoNagasaki quoted a part of the manual that specifically gives the CoC and Hitch Plate precedence over any figures in the manual.

Having said that I think there are other considerations towing anything over 750Kgs.

I've only just shopped this thread and while I can't unfortunately help but I did find it interesting that they list details for vehicles with 20" wheels. Does that mean that is Performance owners can now have a tow bar?

I have a LRAWD which definitely can.

I think the tow bars are meant to be factory fitted (though in my discussions a tow bar fitter I spoke to disagreed).

And I believe the weight restrictions are lower for 20''

Certainly the Accessories page in the manual speaks of a lower Accessory weight of 20Kg if only front seats occupied.

And the Tow Hitch plate also has a lower value of 500Kg i believe.

So it appears to me that it can tow, albeit at a reduced level.

Reactions: m3gt2
Getting a bit OT now, but anyway.

Officially, only those built from Tesla are approved to tow. If yours wasn't, check the cert of conformance and it will have a towing weight of 0.

If ordered from Tesla:
  • Sr & LR AWD towing weight of 910
  • P- towing weight of 500
  • P+ not avaliable
  • Additional restrictions for 20" wheels, presumably on the basis any of the above might fit these?
As far as I know, Tesla are the only ones that have the 'factory or nothing' option. From a practical POV I'm sure a retro fit would be fine, my concern would be insurance, especially while actually towing - both the car and the thing you are towing may not be covered. You are of course in a unusual situation in that the car is approved, but your one isnt. If you didn't mention it was a retro fit you may be able to get insured fine, if your fitter can get the bits.

Tesla have def some something weird here.

A few 'rogue' performance vehicles made it on inventory in Europe but only in 'stealth' form. I am not aware of any 20" 'PUP' models with tow hitch, but manual adds some seemingly theoretical 20" specification.

iirc only the official tow hitch supplied vehicles have a tow weight on V5 (below) and type approval to do so. Other vehicles I believe have 0 weight so retrospectively adding a hitch needs to work around that.

upload_2020-6-5_8-37-16.png

Last edited:
4 bikes on a model 3 is quite a lot of extra gubbins on quite a small car. Wrong car for the job ?
Only if you see a model 3 as a small car? I've had 4 bikes or a boat on a trailer, and a roof box on the old leon, and the '3 is bigger than that. If there had been an estate version I'd have had it, but there isn't. Accessories cover the gap, all be it at a cost.

Unfortunately an all electric hypercar with the load carrying ability of 18 wheeler didn't exist, so we had to settle for a model 3.

Interesting position for DirectLine to take. Sounds like it is customer service passing the buck without sending to legal or an assessor for a view but it would worry me.
If they have said you have to act in accordance with Tesla guidelines, I’d worry they will say the 55kg is a guideline you should have followed despite the statement that the CoC is formally the max load.

I’ve asked the same question of Admiral and will share what they respond.

Did Admiral respond yet? Interested to hear what they say.

Did Admiral respond yet? Interested to hear what they say.
Another non-answer response:

“We can confirm that with regards to the weight and size regulations it is the customer’sresponsibility to ensure their vehicle complies with the Construction and Use regulation“

My read is it’s ok legally, the Tesla manual is guidance but is clear that the factual limit is the CoC figure. Insurance don’t have a view. Definitely intending to not have an accident involving a bike rack if I can avoid it though.

new thread time - best 4 bike tow hitch rack for an M3 SR+?

Roofbox.co.uk and choose your price point. No association, just a long history of good customer service.

I have the Strada, which is expensive but lovely to use. If you go that way our tow balls seem slightly small so you need a 'shim' accessory (search function finds it on the site).

I didn't like our previous hanging model, as it was a sod to get the bikes all on and lined up and nestled together. But the style is way cheaper, folds smaller and takes up much less of your rated weight if that matters to you.

Reactions: KendoNagasaki
I have been in contact with a lawyer who has seen a number of cases relating to nose-weight. He seemed to be very much of the opinion that the law is vague on what the actual legal limit is (though he seemed to imply the Certificate of Conformity and its 100 Kgs should "win"). But he said he would definitely not exceed the 55 Kg limit that Tesla have given. He said that his experience litigating cases has shown him how sensitive cars can be to nose-weight. And he made the point that @VanillaAir_UK and others have made earlier (ie that the weight itself is one thing, but the forces acting on a weight projected out behind the car are another, especially when being thrown about in an emergency situation)

He recommended staying well within the 55 Kg limit suggested by the Tesla manual (and presumably it's engineers!) and perhaps getting a roof rack to supplement the load being towed.

I think I now need to look into getting:
a.) a 3-bike tow bar mounted carrier (I will look at roofbox.co.uk given other positive experiences mentioned above)
b.) the Tesla Roof rack (I assume people would recommend the Tesla one for £430 as opposed to any others?)
c.) a fourth bike carrier for the roof along with a small roof-box (again roofbox.co.uk look like a good place to shop for those). I imagine the roof rack will also have weight limits - with all that glass. But hopefully a bike of 12 Kgs, and a suitcase of 20 Kgs (plus the weight of the rack itself etc. will fall safely within those weight limits.

The other alternative (which the other half does not like the thought of) is an actual wheeled trailer with bike racks added to the top of the trailer. But I did not have a good answer as to "where are you going to store that? Not in my garden thank you very much!" o_O

I am not sure we had ever considered using the Tesla for both bikes and additional storage, but this lockdown has made us re-evaluate what we can carry with us on what looks like being a Summer Staycation in the UK somewhere.

Reactions: Avendit
Thanks for update.

he other limitation I will throw into the mix is max limit of 375kg fo all occupants and cargo (incl. nose weight), Your limit may differ, but its written on the label on passenger door reveal.

Unfortunately the Model 3 is a bit of a light weight - would be interested to know how the Model Y compares.

@gidster99 - that is super helpful, thanks.

I wonder if the low nose weight is related to the centred point of balance in the car - no engine out the front to keep the front wheels on the ground could cause steering problems in emergency situations with a big lever out the back? Equally that center of balance move will put more weight as a % on the back wheels - which will quite rapidly get to the per wheel loading which I think where the 375kg comes from. I definitely drive at the limit for the allowance with 2 adult MTB's and 2 kids bikes, but I do stick it in chill and drive very defensively.

I believe the official tesla bars are the only ones so far. But they are just Yakima whisperbars with special 'feet' (their term). So if you have whisper bars already (like I do), my hope is to be able to get just a foot kit for ~£40, eventually.

The other alternative (which the other half does not like the thought of) is an actual wheeled trailer with bike racks added to the top of the trailer. But I did not have a good answer as to "where are you going to store that? Not in my garden thank you very much!" o_O

I am not sure we had ever considered using the Tesla for both bikes and additional storage, but this lockdown has made us re-evaluate what we can carry with us on what looks like being a Summer Staycation in the UK somewhere.

haha- I think you may actually be me(or vice versa). I got the same response when I suggested a trailer! I suspect it would be a better option for limiting range loss. A bike rack and a roof rack is going to have a hefty hit on an SR+ real world range. At least it’s summer though