Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 vs Chevy Bolt

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Will a base $37,500 Bolt come with a quick-charge port? If not, how much will it cost as a stand-alone option? Or, do you think you might have to purchase a bundle of options in order to be able to recharge at 50 kW?
Fast charging is optional:
"Bolt EV also features an optional DC Fast Charging system using the industry standard SAE Combo connector. Using DC Fast Charging, the Bolt EV battery can be charged up to 90 miles of range in 30 minutes. Outside temperatures may affect charging times."
Drive Unit and Battery at the Heart of Chevrolet Bolt EV

Fast charging costs $750 in the Spark EV, so expect similar.

Anyone choosing to drive a GM can't honestly complain about the quality of Tesla... or most other cars, at any price range. It clearly isn't a priority for you.
So far, I didn't need to have any drivetrain replaced on my MY2012 Ampera (107.000+km). I'm also still on my first 12V battery.

Oh, and I don't have to wait 3-4 months to get my car serviced.

So far, I didn't need to have any drivetrain replaced on my MY2012 Ampera (107.000+km). I'm also still on my first 12V battery.

Conan-OBrien-Sarcastic-Clap-and-Thumbs-Up.gif

My gm products have also proven very reliable. The fit and finish has been on par for vehicles of their vintage, with only one exception, but that one was also cheaper than the competition, more reliable, more power, and better gas mileage. There are better cars than gm products, but imo, they beat chrysler and ford handily in drivetrain reliability, and the engines are usually fairly refined comparatively.

My gm products have also proven very reliable. The fit and finish has been on par for vehicles of their vintage, with only one exception, but that one was also cheaper than the competition, more reliable, more power, and better gas mileage. There are better cars than gm products, but imo, they beat chrysler and ford handily in drivetrain reliability, and the engines are usually fairly refined comparatively.

OK then. I guess they went through chapter 11 bankruptcy and were bailed out by the Fed's because they have a better product line than Ford? Oh wait! Ford is the only LARGE NA automaker that has never gone bankrupt. Bear with me. I'm having a bad morning and apoligize in advance.

P.S. I have a grade 11 education and I think break is spelled brake (nothing to do with this post). Like I posted, I'm having a bad day

OK then. I guess they went through chapter 11 bankruptcy and were bailed out by the Fed's because they have a better product line than Ford? Oh wait! Ford is the only LARGE NA automaker that has never gone bankrupt. Bear with me. I'm having a bad morning and apoligize in advance.

P.S. I have a grade 11 education and I think break is spelled brake (nothing to do with this post). Like I posted, I'm having a bad day

Historically, the original Ford car company is now known as Cadillac today, so yes, the original Ford filed bankruptcy. So it's Ford R2 that never filed.

In any case, Ford currently (har) is doing lousy in the EV field, which is what this topic is about.

The Volt, Spark EV, ELR, and upcoming Bolt and CT6 EREV all exceed what Ford can offer, or what Ford has in the pipeline.

Just like in 1996, Ford is going to be drug kicking and screaming into the EV market and will make the least possible effort.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: AndY1
Historically, the original Ford car company is now known as Cadillac today, so yes, the original Ford filed bankruptcy. So it's Ford R2 that never filed.
not accurate (or at the least, misleading). Ford's 1901 company, "Henry Ford Company" didn't go bankrupt, but the shareholders didn't approve of his interest in racing vehicles so he left months after the company formed and it was rebranded as Cadillac. He then started FoMoCo in 1903 as it current exists today.

In any case, Ford currently (har) is doing lousy in the EV field, which is what this topic is about.

The Volt, Spark EV, ELR, and upcoming Bolt and CT6 EREV all exceed what Ford can offer, or what Ford has in the pipeline.

Just like in 1996, Ford is going to be drug kicking and screaming into the EV market and will make the least possible effort.

True. Way behind on EV's. Also Fords break. However when stopping one you use the brakes. I'm going back to bed. Bad day.

• Disagree
Reactions: voip-ninja
not accurate (or at the least, misleading). Ford's 1901 company, "Henry Ford Company" didn't go bankrupt, but the shareholders didn't approve of his interest in racing vehicles so he left months after the company formed and it was rebranded as Cadillac. He then started FoMoCo in 1903 as it current exists today.

The Henry Ford Company was interested in high end cars which causes a rift. Cadillac went on to become the tech leader in the early days based on the HFC business goals.

Chevrolet was one of the few automotive companies actually started by a world class auto racer that persisted. Chevrolet still has a keen focus on performance cars that take a lot of abuse without breaking. In fact, Chevrolet is one of the very few companies today that will warranty your car if it's used for off-highway high performance driving. You take you Corvette/Camaro to an Open Track Day, or a dragstrip for test-n-tune, and they will cover it if it blows up. It's not just that Chevrolets are stupid fast, which they are. It's that they are stupid fast and survive abuse. They aren't Ferraris, Porsches, AMG's, or ///M's. They survive at full power without modifications because that's how they test them.

• Informative
Reactions: CoastalCruiser
True. Way behind on EV's. Also Fords break. However when stopping one you use the brakes. I'm going back to bed. Bad day.

Something to note about spilling airs today. Some autocorrupt autocorrect software routines in web browsers molest your words into the wrong spelling. You hit the wrong key and it can pick a spelling that is wrong to correct it.

At first I thought it was just me getting senile, until my I actually observed it once.

In any case, with the Bolt, we will probably just use Regen for most the "breaking".;)

Some autocorrupt autocorrect software routines in web browsers molest your words into the wrong spelling. You hit the wrong key and it can pick a spelling that is wrong to correct it.

Yep, annoying when that happens. On the Mac it shows you that it changed a word by underlining it in red. At that point you can either hit escape to cancel the correction, or just keep typing to accept it (at which point the red underline goes away). Problem is I type so fast, over 100 WPM, that the red line is displayed too briefly to be noticed.

I ended up tracking down the setting, Apple Menu->System Preferences->Keyboard->Text->Correct spelling automatically, and turned it off. Now if something's typed wrong it stays underlined with a dotted red line:
Screen Shot 2016-06-05 at 1.17.47 PM.png

and I can go back and right-click on the word to select the correct spelling:
Screen Shot 2016-06-05 at 1.18.00 PM.png

Teslas break too and are a relative newcomer in the automotive world. We honestly don't know if they will be around in 12-15 years to service these cars and they don't allow independent shops or owners to service them and parts are tough (impossible?) to get so I wouldn't start dancing on the graves of the "legacy" automakers just yet.

I haven't had to wait 3-4 months for my Tesla either. It appears the Model S is about on par with the Cadillac ATS and the Cadillac CTS, as well as the Acura TLX according to TrueDelta's relatively simplistic metrics. It's also probably indistinguishable from the BWW X5, X6, or Jaguar F-Type. The BMW i3 is much worse, but there really hasn't been that much hoopla outside of owner's forums over the i3's terrible service record.

More than half of the Model S reported repairs are body and trim, which really isn't reliability in most people's minds. It is annoyance for sure.

We just went through a period of historic recalls by a number of automakers and in 2014, GM went through a recall level that hit 60% of all recalled cars.

GM recalls: The numbers tell a surprising story

One of the big problems with using such statistics is that it really doesn't tell us about reliability of the major components nor the expected costs and downtime and very importantly, the chance of unexpected downtime. Tesla owner's may be in the shop more often, but it is more often that it's a sunroof or door seal, a squeak or two. Tesla has had about 4 stealth recalls... the door handles through early 2013, 12 volt battery and DC to DC converter issues which are often interrelated, the drive unit milling sound that hits mostly 2013 and early 2014 owners, and the battery contactors that are mostly 2012/early 2013. If these were treated as recalls rather than "normal repairs" the stats would be jumbled up, as the way various outfits account for recalls versus repairs is not very clear. Otherwise, other automaker's stats would be far worse.

Last edited:
The 2017 model won't. It is likely the 2018 model will. Of course they could change their minds between now and release...

I think it remains to be seen. The famous "no ACC for Bolt" is from an interview that says the Bolt will not have blended brakes. This has puzzled a lot of people. And there is spy shots of 2 Bolts with full autonomy systems on them in San Francisco. One is a zebra stripped test mule, the other a tradeshow car.

Could 'No ACC' be both true and false? Yes. GM's next generation of ACC is not called ACC. It's called SuperCruise.

If they DON'T offer ACC, it will be really puzzling since the Volt has it now.