Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 vs Model S comparison slides

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you drop the number of paint choices to five (red, white, blue, black, silver), there are more possibilities. For example,
5 paint
1 battery
1 RWD
3 interior material/color combos
2 one binary choice separate from option packages (wheels, roof, audio ...)
3 option packages
total: 90

They can also keep buildable combinations down by tying different options together, like red paint has to take leather seats, or leather seats needed for option package #3. That lets you get more apparent options, without exploding the resulting number of permutations that can be ordered. Budget-conscious buyers may have to compromise, but you force less price-insensitive buyers to spend more by tying things they don't care about to things they want. Granted, that all sounds like the legacy OEM way of doing things, and I'd hope Tesla does better, and maybe that's just by providing fewer options.

I bet at launch there is only 1 battery choice and only RWD, as we know. Then I bet they bundle a lot of upgrades into a single, or perhaps 2, performance or convenience packages. Greatly simplifies everything, seems to show less customization, yet that doesn't mean that certain features won't be available in the large bundle(s).

I'll go with:

1 Battery (large first)
1 RWD
7 Paint
3 Convenience packages (basic, upgraded [white interior], upgraded [black interior])
2 Performance packages (basic, upgraded)
2 Wheel sizes

Totally agree it MUST be combinations at launch, otherwise your options are

2 battery
3 RWD/AWD/P
2 AP (maybe they drop EAP)
2 wheel sizes
4 paint colors (the RC colors we've seen)
---

no possible sunroof, everyone gets the same seats, everyone gets the same trim, everyone gets the same sound system, no premium package, no subzero package.

I don't see that happening.

I also find it odd they have a specific 0-60 time but don't have a specific range.

Tesla is sticking to most of the information they've already put out for now. The details will be held out until the July final production roll out and test drives. The specific 0-60 time was given out at last years roll out. It's the minimum number.

Reactions: T34ME
I wonder why Tesla posted 5.6 in the first place. Were they trying to downplay the Model 3 again?
The context of that slide is that it is a training document for Tesla personnel to help upsell the Model S. It's obviously going to be biased to make the Model S look good and Model 3 look worse.

The consumer facing spec sheet would likely be different (for one, there would the actual EPA range, rather than the same 215+ we have seen for a while).

Reactions: croman
I have trouble believing something that can't accelerate a smaller vehicle more quickly than the base Model S would be used in the Tesla Semi...
Semi may have 6 or more of these motors.

Where does it say for base ?
Just a guess because initial rollout will not have AWD or performance versions. Maybe we won't even see a bigger battery in July.

• Disagree
Reactions: dhanson865