Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Tesla Model S Battery Extended Service Plans from 057 Technology

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is awesome news. When I was looking at buying a Tesla, the only reason I bought it was after talking to you guys about the affordable cost in case I bought one and had a battery failure as the only thing I could afford was an older high mileage car.

So I ended up buying a 2014 P85+ with 86k miles about 4 months ago. I now have 96k miles.
I have SMT and also had my battery diagnosed by Tesla and it’s very healthy and only lost 9% since new.
My battery warranty runs out this month, I would like to purchase the warranty but you said the dongles are sold out and up to 2-8 weeks, what do I do in my case?
I also have the car for sale and would maybe sell it’ll the price made sense, as I wanted a newer one with autopilot.

How can purchase the warranty I get coverage if I cant get a dongle in time, and also is the warranty transferable? I read the FAQ’s and didn’t see anything about if it is transferable, it’s a great selling point to add to a high mileage car with little warranty left.

Last edited:
Reactions: GeoG
We're considering doing some addons, one of which would bump the mileage limit.

We're mostly concerned with the health of the pack, and that does wear with mileage. But since mileage is a crude proxy for real wear, we were considering making a custom metric for pack health and wear that would take more into account... kind of like Tesla's new safety score thing, but for how you treat your battery pack.

Unfortunately it'd be complicated, and I'm told probably too complicated to comply with relevant NC law if it replaced mileage.

So... the thinking is to make an addon where you can earn bonus miles or time in addition to the base mileage/term that's based on actual battery care.

Probably not happening any time soon, but an addon for more miles will probably come shortly after Model X support.
That would be fantastic. Adding bonus miles would be a great addon/ option.
I like what @Boeingpilot said, however, I am the opposite. I will probably drive under 8,000 miles a year.

This is awesome news. When I was looking at buying a Tesla, the only reason I bought it was after talking to you guys about the affordable cost in case I bought one and had a battery failure as the only thing I could afford was an older high mileage car.

So I ended up buying a 2014 P85+ with 86k miles about 4 months ago. I now have 96k miles.
I have SMT and also had my battery diagnosed by Tesla and it’s very healthy and only lost 9% since new.
My battery warranty runs out this month, I would like to purchase the warranty but you said the dongles are sold out and up to 2-8 weeks, what do I do in my case?
I also have the car for sale and would maybe sell it’ll the price made sense, as I wanted a newer one with autopilot.

How can purchase the warranty I get coverage if I cant get a dongle in time, and also is the warranty transferable? I read the FAQ’s and didn’t see anything about if it is transferable, it’s a great selling point to add to a high mileage car with little warranty left.

While the service plan doesn't officially activate until after the BMD is installed, in the event you have a battery failure in that time period we're not going to leave you hanging out to dry, although the process will be a bit more involved as we'll need to use the vehicle's own logs to rebuild the failure. If the failure was the result of something that happened before the service plan began, or the battery wouldn't have qualified for the service plan in the first place... there's not a lot we can do besides our normal paid replacement route.

That said, the plan is refundable, so you've got nothing to lose either way.

It is transferable, as noted in the terms.

That would be fantastic. Adding bonus miles would be a great addon/ option.
I like what @Boeingpilot said, however, I am the opposite. I will probably drive under 8,000 miles a year.

Nothing wrong with that. Right now our plan is to base renewal pricing on actual battery usage and wear over the original plan period, so something like driving only 8,000 miles per year will likely be a win at that point.

While the service plan doesn't officially activate until after the BMD is installed, in the event you have a battery failure in that time period we're not going to leave you hanging out to dry, although the process will be a bit more involved as we'll need to use the vehicle's own logs to rebuild the failure. If the failure was the result of something that happened before the service plan began, or the battery wouldn't have qualified for the service plan in the first place... there's not a lot we can do besides our normal paid replacement route.

Nothing wrong with that. Right now our plan is to base renewal pricing on actual battery usage and wear over the original plan period, so something like driving only 8,000 miles per year will likely be a win at that point.
I am surprised at your response times and the time you actually take to respond to everyone's questions. Hats off to you Sir!!!!

Thank you, I see the price is the same for expired or not so all good. My battery is very healthy so I’m pretty confident nothing would happen to it while waiting for your dongle. And sorry, I read the FAQ’s and not the terms. So that’s great it’s transferable and a great selling feature for OEM out of warranty batteries.
Thanks again and I’m in 👍

Reactions: wk057 and GeoG
We're considering doing some addons, one of which would bump the mileage limit.

We're mostly concerned with the health of the pack, and that does wear with mileage. But since mileage is a crude proxy for real wear, we were considering making a custom metric for pack health and wear that would take more into account... kind of like Tesla's new safety score thing, but for how you treat your battery pack.

Unfortunately it'd be complicated, and I'm told probably too complicated to comply with relevant NC law if it replaced mileage.

So... the thinking is to make an addon where you can earn bonus miles or time in addition to the base mileage/term that's based on actual battery care.

Probably not happening any time soon, but an addon for more miles will probably come shortly after Model X support.
Appreciate you thinking about it. Just have to decide to pull the trigger now and see what you come up with or wait

I am surprised at your response times and the time you actually take to respond to everyone's questions. Hats off to you Sir!!!!
Thanks! Definitely easier to do stream-of-consciousness forum replies than most any other type of formal communication. :)

I see the price is the same for expired or not so all good.

Limited time!

Appreciate you thinking about it. Just have to decide to pull the trigger now and see what you come up with or wait

Once addons do launch, they should all be available as "upgrades" for existing service plans, so, shouldn't be an issue either way.

Reactions: Jasper7821 and GeoG
Thanks! Definitely easier to do stream-of-consciousness forum replies than most any other type of formal communication. :)

Limited time!

Once addons do launch, they should all be available as "upgrades" for existing service plans, so, shouldn't be an issue either way.
How do I decide if I should sign up now or wait for the price modifications? The suspense is killing me😉.

Reactions: wk057

Limited time!

Yes, sorry I didn’t say limited time offer. I made an account but didn’t receive an email yet. I want to purchase the warranty.

Yep, we recycle them as best possible. Many of the modules end up in solar projects like mine, in EV conversions, RV off-grid projects, and whatever else people come up with for using them. Modules that can't be used as a whole (usually several of these from a bad pack) get broken down by a vendor/partner of ours and individual cells used for other projects entirely.

Yes, sorry I didn’t say limited time offer. I made an account but didn’t receive an email yet. I want to purchase the warranty.
Looks like there was some issue with the web interface to our accounting software's API earlier today, which caused a few issues.

Might need to try again on the registration if you still haven't gotten that far.

Sorry about that!

Reactions: Jasper7821
Working now, thank you very much.
Looks like there was some issue with the web interface to our accounting software's API earlier today, which caused a few issues.

Might need to try again on the registration if you still haven't gotten that far.

Sorry about that!
Ok, signed up and paid, Thank you. Glad to have piece of mind.
Question, I’m pretty OCD and always monitoring with SMT and have my iPad setup in the car and always looking at watts and cell voltages and whatnot. Will my OBDlinkMX reader not be able to be used anymore and I can’t monitor my battery data?

Reactions: raphy3
Ok, signed up and paid, Thank you. Glad to have piece of mind.
Awesome! 😊
Question, I’m pretty OCD and always monitoring with SMT and have my iPad setup in the car and always looking at watts and cell voltages and whatnot. Will my OBDlinkMX reader not be able to be used anymore and I can’t monitor my battery data?

At the moment the BMD will take up the connector needed by whatever CAN reader you're using. You'd have to fabricate a splitter of some kind to still use that setup.

That said, I'm adding more and more to the BMD dashboard, and have plans to update the BMD to be able to emulate a bluetooth device like one used by SMT and other 3rd party apps.

Do you have plans for a west coast facility?

Not likely. I honestly don't know how anyone affords to run a business out that way. It's insanely expensive.

If we did do a west coast facility, the prices would easily be 3x what they are now... which isn't practical.

That said, there is a shop out that way that we do business with quite a bit, and depending on the situation may be able to outsource some service to them to save on transport... but no guarantees there.

Awesome! 😊

At the moment the BMD will take up the connector needed by whatever CAN reader you're using. You'd have to fabricate a splitter of some kind to still use that setup.

That said, I'm adding more and more to the BMD dashboard, and have plans to update the BMD to be able to emulate a bluetooth device like one used by SMT and other 3rd party apps.

Not likely. I honestly don't know how anyone affords to run a business out that way. It's insanely expensive.

If we did do a west coast facility, the prices would easily be 3x what they are now... which isn't practical.

That said, there is a shop out that way that we do business with quite a bit, and depending on the situation may be able to outsource some service to them to save on transport... but no guarantees there.
Ok thank you, hopefully some day I’ll still be able to monitor the battery.
And being able to have a West coast company be able to swap a battery (doubt I’d ever need it) would be great as I’m in AZ. Probably 2-3k to ship the car to you and back.
Thanks again for all the assistance and talking me into buying a Tesla in the first place 😁