Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Tesla Model S Battery Extended Service Plans from 057 Technology

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The points being made, yes, while in the past, are that he had a viable operating business long before he became a TMC Vendor just last year.
Yeah, this is the distinction that needs to be emphasized. He was operating just fine for quite a while before and did a lot of work and battery replacements when it was just pay as you go service. Plenty of satisfied customers. The accusations of it being a fly-by-night startup or a con artist or a scam or whatever are totally out of line. It's just with the recent creation and implementation of the prepaid warranty program that everything went wrong and it brought down his business.

We don't know if that is true or not, that is just your guess as to what happened.
Um, no. I'm just going by customer feedback. There was a steady flow of reports here on the forum of people getting battery replacements done. They contacted, got it done, paid the bill, and were fine. No muss, no fuss, no drama, no complaints. Everything was just going fine. Once things started going with the warranty program, the forum started to fill with problems and complaints of all kinds. And almost all of the customer complaints were about the warranty program.

That's really straightforward. No, of course I don't know all of the details of what all contributed and how and why and how much, but this is just a simple timeline thing, how operations were fine before, and then fell apart when this was instituted.

It's more than that. Reports here of satisfied work being done and no complaints showed business operating fine. Then, large amounts of customer complaints all about this new program--witness testimony.

That's saying it's raining because you see the raindrops--not guessing.

That's a few data points. It's far from enough to draw conclusions though.

Here's another possibility that fits the same facts. 057 tech was unravelling prior to the warranty program and only instituted it as a Hail Mary to raise some quick cash.

We really don't know enough to say what happened.

It's more than that. Reports here of satisfied work being done and no complaints showed business operating fine. Then, large amounts of customer complaints all about this new program--witness testimony.

That's saying it's raining because you see the raindrops--not guessing.
Have to disagree with you here; I live with a lawyer and see a bad analogy when I see one. We don't know if the raindrops are in fact from the rain or if the water might be coming from a sprinkler or jettisoned from a passing airplane. In other words, we can't verify cause of dissolution but are only assuming it was strictly a financial one related to the warranty offering.

It's still an assumption based on observations that does not provide evidence to the cause...it is still a correlation. We would need to see a direct link to the warranty program being a burden of expense or revenue loss to 057tech to say it was the cause.

As I recall, Jason had trouble sourcing the scanning devices during supply-chain shutdown. I believe his source was in China and many areas in China were locked down multiple times. Then there was all the credit card chargebacks and demands for refunds from folks who sold their cars before the warranty period ended. And now for my assumption based on observation was that the battery fuse/pyro fuse issue that popped up from a software update might have inundated 057tech with warranty claims that could not be addressed by the volume of customers with the triggered alert. Tesla Service Centers themselves were slammed for months when this happened (many were false-positives alerts) and Tesla had the heads up on how to deal with it because...well they triggered it.

I'm not sure why there is so much weirdness about such a simple assessment. When Tesla rolls out a new software update and lots of people who get it start reporting that it's causing problems with their cars, there aren't demands for an "inside source" or objections that "it's only correlation".

Reactions: buckets0fun
As I recall, Jason had trouble sourcing the scanning devices during supply-chain shutdown. I believe his source was in China and many areas in China were locked down multiple times. Then there was all the credit card chargebacks and demands for refunds from folks who sold their cars before the warranty period ended.
Yes, all of those kinds of things were extra problems from trying to implement this. Huge delays in getting the monitoring devices and not getting them delivered was causing a lot of unrest, which was causing a lot of the chargebacks and refund requests, etc. etc. Lots of chain reactions from this.

I'm not sure why there is so much weirdness about such a simple assessment. When Tesla rolls out a new software update and lots of people who get it start reporting that it's causing problems with their cars, there aren't demands for an "inside source" or objections that "it's only correlation".
Because you can make up any number of theories that sound reasonable, but you have no idea if they are true or not. (And we really have no way to prove or disprove any of the theories.)

For example: Everything was running along OK and Jason decided he wanted to do something else, so he found a buyer and sold the business. Subsequently the new owner(s) have screwed everything up.

Just like your theory, that fits the "testimonies" we have seen. But it is just a theory. (Though I am pretty sure he did actually sell the business earlier this year, as was reported by one of his customers.)

Ooohhh, I see that we're talking about different things at different points in time.

Jason decided he wanted to do something else, so he found a buyer and sold the business. Subsequently the new owner(s) have screwed everything up.
Well yeah, that seems like the very likely thing of what is going on now at the end where the business suddenly disappeared, and I agree with you. Probably very burnt out and fed up with all the stuff that went wrong there.

I'm talking about much before that, of the long decent downhill.
Everything was running along OK
It was...before trying to institute the warranty program, which led to a cascading chain of problems and complaints over the last couple of years. THAT'S what I'm referring to.
I think one of the biggest mistakes in this was taking signups and payments before actually having the necessary monitoring devices IN HAND. Every problem with trying to get those built and delivered was instantly magnified and compounded into lots of customer problems too. If they were running into all those obstacles getting the devices built but the program hadn't been announced or sold yet, that would have contained the damage. It wouldn't have exploded into all of the complaints and follow-up problems. Pre-selling something that you don't have ready yet is very risky and is piling up potential consequences if things don't go as expected.

created a poll to see the magnitude of how many warranty plans were actually purchased.

if you guys can chime in, that'll be neat!

Reactions: ccalahan
We have a little bit of evidence at hand. The old 057 location had been empty for months, as of October 17th, so they moved in July/August? And prior to that Jason let that poster know he sold the business.

Someone filed for "057 Companies" in Tennessee on June 6th. (Note: I am only guessing that this is related, based on the name/date; there are a surprising number of companies with 057 in the name.)

1701714468393.png

So here is my guess at a timeline:
  • Jason sold the business in the May/June timeframe.
  • The new owner(s) registered a TN business in early June.
  • The new owner(s) moved the business in July/August.
  • We didn't start seeing a lot of complaints for no response/service until October. (Are there a lot prior to this that I am missing/forgetting?)
    • I am ignoring the complaints for the lack of shipping the Battery Monitoring Device since they were honoring the warranty for those without one that had a failure occur after they purchased the service agreement.
    • One person even mentioned getting a reply to a web contact submission in around an hour in October.
But things seem to have gone radio silent starting in November. Did the new owner(s) bite off more than they could chew and gave up? If so, that is a real shame as 057, and Jason, have provided a lot of value to the Tesla community over the years.

• Informative
Reactions: outdoors
Um, no. I'm just going by customer feedback. There was a steady flow of reports here on the forum of people getting battery replacements done. They contacted, got it done, paid the bill, and were fine. No muss, no fuss, no drama, no complaints. Everything was just going fine. Once things started going with the warranty program, the forum started to fill with problems and complaints of all kinds. And almost all of the customer complaints were about the warranty program.

That's really straightforward. No, of course I don't know all of the details of what all contributed and how and why and how much, but this is just a simple timeline thing, how operations were fine before, and then fell apart when this was instituted.
Why did his customers never leave a google review? He had like 5 total and for some reason never liked putting his face on camera or posts. Hmmm