Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Tesla Model S Battery Extended Service Plans from 057 Technology

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
what was he working on with his shop? Some secret EV development? I think he can make mad money simply doing 3rd party tesla repairs. Tesla service center charges mad money. I am sure with the millions of tesla sold, he will never be short of customers. I sure wish there is an independent repair shop that charges reasonable money. Every time I see people post repair bills, it is in the thousands. Is tesla repair locked behind proprietary software? Is replacement part easy to get as an independent shop?
My guess, and simply my opinion, is 3rd parties will continue to stay close to Tesla's prices. Why, because they still can. Perhaps a few years from now we'll see that change like we have with ICE vehicles.

what was he working on with his shop? Some secret EV development? I think he can make mad money simply doing 3rd party tesla repairs. Tesla service center charges mad money. I am sure with the millions of tesla sold, he will never be short of customers. I sure wish there is an independent repair shop that charges reasonable money. Every time I see people post repair bills, it is in the thousands. Is tesla repair locked behind proprietary software? Is replacement part easy to get as an independent shop?
I'm not sure there is as much profit in it as you think. The most salvageable modular packs are in the S/X, but those make up a small minority of the overall Tesla population. The 3/Y pack is far less modular and the price for a refurb from Tesla is only $12k-$16k, so people would balk at going to a third party unless the prices are substantially less (including shipping) which reduces profits, especially if you expect the shop to charge "reasonable money".

Keep in mind there are overhead costs for maintaining a shop, getting the right equipment, and training the technicians. The few shops dedicated to this will likely charge a higher premium to cover for this and get a return on their investment.

I'm not sure there is as much profit in it as you think. The most salvageable modular packs are in the S/X, but those make up a small minority of the overall Tesla population. The 3/Y pack is far less modular and the price for a refurb from Tesla is only $12k-$16k, so people would balk at going to a third party unless the prices are substantially less (including shipping) which reduces profits, especially if you expect the shop to charge "reasonable money".

Keep in mind there are overhead costs for maintaining a shop, getting the right equipment, and training the technicians. The few shops dedicated to this will likely charge a higher premium to cover for this and get a return on their investment.
Not talking about battery service only. I doubt one shop can sustain relying on working on that alone. Talking about every single repair of the tesla car. From suspension to cable connections to MCU screens. I don't know if it is actually profitable or not. But I sure hope there is an honest third party repair shop around. Tesla service center are like dealerships, replace this assembly, replace that assembly and over charge.

Last edited:
Not talking about battery service only. I doubt one shop can sustain relying on working on that alone. Talking about every single repair of the tesla car. From suspension to cable connections to MCU screens. I don't know if it is actually profitable or not. But I sure hope there is an honest third party repair shop around. Tesla service center are like dealerships, replace this assembly, replace that assembly and over charge.
Again… electrified garage has entered the chat.

I don't think that's totally unreasonable. From the Service prospective, they need to take the course of action that results in the quickest and most probable cure to the problem. That often means replacing an entire part despite the fact that the issue could actually be serviceable within the bigger part. Other times it makes more sense to replace the whole assembly if removal could result in compromising the asseismbly and/or if one part goes bad then the other parts may have an issue shortly after. Control arm bushings for instance can be pressed out, but unless those arms and links are made of steel, the risk of bending or compromising aluminum or thin metal would present a bunch of other problems. Therefore replacing the whole arm or links with pre-pressed new bushings is probably the best way to go. The objective is to fix the problem so the customer does not come back any time soon.

Then of course there's the whole issue with actual shop-time vs book-time...something that just about every dealership/Service Center charges more than the actual time spent working on the job.

I do agree with you about qualified 3rd party support. I had hoped in early 2019 that some former Tesla engineers and mechanics would have opened up their own shops and the offerings of aftermarket improved parts would have materialized, but I overestimated the prevalence of Teslas on the road for such a business to be viable. Here's to hoping.

Reactions: NV Ray
A lot of the same points apply. To get Tesla certified is an additional investment on top, and few shops will want to do that unless there are enough Tesla customers around needing service. And for the few shops that do, they will tend to charge a premium to get a return on their investment.

I think it will take a while for the current fleet to age out until most are out of warranty and perhaps there might be a larger pool of Tesla owners interested in third party service.

Last edited:
Well, I received a response from 057 Companies LLC. They are holding zero responsibility and stated they are out of business. 🤬

Attachments

• IMG_4258.jpeg
    IMG_4258.jpeg
    370.7 KB · Views: 22