Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla model S battery Failed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello my 2013 model S battery failed only 30k miles. SC quoted reman battery series B I approved the estimate for $ 12.9k however they installed the new battery model
BATTERY,90KWH,SX(1014116-00-C and asking for $22.5k. I didn’t authorize this. I approved 12.9 k they made a mistake and installed a 22k battery. I denied to pay $22k I said I will pay $12.9k that I approved. What will happen now?

More assumptions. What time estimate/guarantee was provided, if any, and how do you know what it was?

How many more times do you need to be given copies of the VA state law? Service center said the car was done. As in no service is remaining to be completed. Like, you can cast all the aspersions you like at the rest of us but you are the one fighting against consumer protection laws? Why does it upset you that consumers have rights? Why doesn't it upset you that Tesla told OP one price, then completely the job knowing the wrong pack was being used and a new price would be given? Do you have any empathy at all, or do you push those feelings down deep because of the company doing it?

I really just don't get why it is that so many of the most outspoken fans don't want Tesla to be better than other companies in the ways that they treat customers. It's really shocking, since so many seem to be so proud of Tesla's no dealership model.

OP is absolutely protected by the law being quoted in that they have no obligation whatsoever to pay the inflated price they didn't approve.

Great. Glad you agree.

Suggesting the same law that limits their liability ALSO entitles them to storm the Tesla castle and make off with a battery that costs $10,000 more

Nobody's said that. Tesla has the option of using the correct pack. And now they're in violation of more of the consumer protections. The fact you've gone to such great lengths to put so many words in other peoples' mouths is really not helping. Sage is an angry Tesla-against-the-world person, and I'd honestly deeply consider my position if I found myself agreeing with them.

Upvote 0
Again. Absolutely nothing in that text prevents Tesla from correcting their mistake and returning the car to its original state, or installing the originally quoted remanufactured battery.

Reading with our brains might be more useful in this case.
Well, they did perform the work without an estimate approval for the work (the approval they got was for different work, lower estimate), so they did violate the letter of the law. Technically, the customer could sue even if they gave them a better battery for the lower price - the work done was not actually approved. If you drop off your 4 cylinder car for an engine replacement, the dealer dropping in a V8 would be performing unauthorized work even if they provided it to you at the cost of a 4 cylinder engine.

Upvote 0
Well done. I admit I’m surprised they rolled over so quickly. A kinder, softer Tesla service? ;)

Happy you ended up with a favorable outcome.
Perhaps they realized they would lose if they took it to court. Performing unauthorized work on the car can be against he law, even if you offer to undo it for free later.

Upvote 0
Hello all! Thank you to folks in this forum who helped me and also criticised me. I learned a lot in this process. Here is the update:
This morning I sent a message on when I can pick my car.
Tesla called me back and told me either I take the battery and pay 22k or they will put my old battery back. I responded to them in my own way that they screwed up and I’m ready to loose the car but will make sure that I’ll take them down with me and that they broke their own contract not to exceed more than 10% of the estimate. An hour after that my invoice was adjusted to the estimated price, followed by apology call from SC. I picked up my car this evening.

I’m very thankful to everyone who guided me on this post thorough out this process.
All the responses negative and positive comments were helpful to me.
Glad everything worked out for you. I just read all of the post again starting on page one. Kinda puts things into perspective. I went through something similar with my service center twice and both times I prevailed.

Upvote 0
Hello my 2013 model S battery failed only 30k miles. SC quoted reman battery series B I approved the estimate for $ 12.9k however they installed the new battery model
BATTERY,90KWH,SX(1014116-00-C and asking for $22.5k. I didn’t authorize this. I approved 12.9 k they made a mistake and installed a 22k battery. I denied to pay $22k I said I will pay $12.9k that I approved. What will happen now?
Make sure you keep all of your paperwork. The warranty for battery installation still applies. Take picture of the serial number on the battery pack for you records also just in case something happens to it and try to keep a log on charging speeds and capacity.

Upvote 0
Update: I just verified this is the new battery they installed see model and serial number now and the full range charge is at 293 miles..

Attachments

• 67FBB1E6-3F40-4053-9DCC-A1454DECF38F.jpeg
    67FBB1E6-3F40-4053-9DCC-A1454DECF38F.jpeg
    319.5 KB · Views: 90
Upvote 0