Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla model S battery Failed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello my 2013 model S battery failed only 30k miles. SC quoted reman battery series B I approved the estimate for $ 12.9k however they installed the new battery model
BATTERY,90KWH,SX(1014116-00-C and asking for $22.5k. I didn’t authorize this. I approved 12.9 k they made a mistake and installed a 22k battery. I denied to pay $22k I said I will pay $12.9k that I approved. What will happen now?

No irony intended.

Tesla is not obligated to supply a battery of any size or meet any price. His car is out of warranty. Tesla installed what they have and charged about $250/kWh. OP can take it or leave it.

As for comparisons, Nissan owners pay about $10 - $12k for a 24 kWh replacement battery. A 40 kWh pack is sold for $20K (I think before installation costs) but is not available for older cars from the 2011 - 2016 years. Each of these choices is ~ $500/kWh. An apples to apples comparison is tricky though. A remanufactured pack is not a new pack, and a pack sitting on a shelf for years is not a recently manufactured pack.

One other point of comparison: IIRC the details, wk057 was offering a remanufactured by him 90 kWh pack for ~ $20k, obviously no Tesla warranty. A friend of mine with a 2013 Model S and a degraded battery was sorry he missed out on the deal, which he thought was outstanding.

Last point: I will happily pay OP $5k for his shell of a car if it is in good condition, pay Tesla $22k for a new pack, and sail out into the sunset.
I'd say that is a valid perspective on the deal. If Tesla should charge him this after they made the mistake is another story.

Upvote 0
No irony intended.

Tesla is not obligated to supply a battery of any size or meet any price. His car is out of warranty. Tesla installed what they have and charged about $250/kWh. OP can take it or leave it.

As for comparisons, Nissan owners pay about $10 - $12k for a 24 kWh replacement battery. A 40 kWh pack is sold for $20K (I think before installation costs) but is not available for older cars from the 2011 - 2016 years. Each of these choices is ~ $500/kWh. An apples to apples comparison is tricky though. A remanufactured pack is not a new pack, and a pack sitting on a shelf for years is not a recently manufactured pack.

One other point of comparison: IIRC the details, wk057 was offering a remanufactured by him 90 kWh pack for ~ $20k, obviously no Tesla warranty. A friend of mine with a 2013 Model S and a degraded battery was sorry he missed out on the deal, which he thought was outstanding.

Last point: I will happily pay OP $5k for his shell of a car if it is in good condition, pay Tesla $22k for a new pack, and sail out into the sunset.

That’s all fair if you ignore the inconvenient fact that they initially quoted ~half of what they now want him to pay.

Even if the new fee is a “good deal” (which is quite the debate - $250/kwh PLUS keeping the core is highway robbery, pointing out others charging even more doesn’t change that), we still have the bait and switch to contend with.

Upvote 0
That’s all fair if you ignore the inconvenient fact that they initially quoted ~half of what they now want him to pay.

Not ignored; that is why he can choose to not accept what was installed. As for your opinion of 'highway robbery' for the new, larger pack -- whatever.
The important point is that Tesla competitors charge much more.

And now, my opinion (worth a hot penny): I am not a fan of remanufactured packs with 1 year warranties. I would count my blessings that Tesla did not foist that option on me.

• Disagree
Reactions: Yurand
Upvote 0
And now, my opinion (worth a hot penny): I am not a fan of remanufactured packs with 1 year warranties. I would count my blessings that Tesla did not foist that option on me.

No foisting or blessing counting necessary as all paid pack replacements from Tesla, remanufactured or new, include 4 year 50k warranties.

Upvote 0
No irony intended.

This is, legally speaking, incorrect. They issued a quote for the work, he agreed to it, and then they changed the price. Consumer protection laws exist for exactly this kind of switch-and-bait tactic. Whether Tesla intended to do this doesn't matter, they did it. And as someone already pointed out, Virginia consumer laws make this explicitly illegal. The fact that anybody would ever attempt to defend this kind of behavior is bizarre.

Upvote 0
Not ignored; that is why he can choose to not accept what was installed. As for your opinion of 'highway robbery' for the new, larger pack -- whatever.

That is not how the law works on issues such as these.

Upvote 0
That is not how the law works on issues such as these.
The law exists to make sure that OP isn't liable for the new inflated total he didn't agree to, but I can't imagine any interpretation where it doesn't allow Tesla to "fix the glitch" by either installing what they originally quoted or putting the car back to its original state and giving it back unrepaired.

Upvote 0
The law exists to make sure that OP isn't liable for the new inflated total he didn't agree to, but I can't imagine any interpretation where it doesn't allow Tesla to "fix the glitch" by either installing what they originally quoted or putting the car back to its original state and giving it back unrepaired.
Correct, The work has been completed. The law in the OP's side. Tesla cannot hold his car hostage; the OP has no obligation to allow Tesla to "fix the glitch" There only recourse is to charge 10% over the original estimate and seek the higher balance in court.
What competitors charge has absolutely no bearing on Tesla charges for anything. It is a moot point and way off topic. Tesla violated State law, plain and simple

Upvote 0
Who exactly decides when the work has been completed, what is the legal definition of "completed", and where is it referenced in the law?

If the original estimate/agreement was to install a remanufactured battery of a specific part number, that work is definitely not completed.
Tesla decided the work was completed when the final invoice was sent stating that the work was complete

Upvote 0
Tesla decided the work was completed when the final invoice was sent stating that the work was complete
"Sorry, we made an administrative mistake and did not complete the work as originally agreed, we will rescind the invoice and restore the car to its original state."

You are suggesting that statement/response is illegal. I'm not buying it.

Reactions: SageBrush
Upvote 0
"Sorry, we made an administrative mistake and did not complete the work as originally agreed, we will rescind the invoice and restore the car to its original state."

You are suggesting that statement/response is illegal. I'm not buying it.
What I am saying is increasing the cost of repair beyond that of the original invoice is illegal once it is sent to the customer

Upvote 0
I'm willing to bet that the "laws" vary by state. Sorry bud, but I'm not convinced you have any particular understanding of this matter other than what you heard in a video game. 'Level Up,' indeed.

They literally posted a link to VA state laws on this exact subject. The fact you didn't bother to read them before being an Internet Lawyer is on you. You should probably go back and read the thread instead of jumping in late and being wrong about everything.

Upvote 0
They literally posted a link to VA state laws on this exact subject. The fact you didn't bother to read them before being an Internet Lawyer is on you. You should probably go back and read the thread instead of jumping in late and being wrong about everything.

Nothing @Gixx1300R posted suggested it’s “illegal” for Tesla to fix their mistake and return the car to its original state or simply supply the battery they originally quoted as they’re implying.

Gixxer is implying that OP can simply walk up to the service center with $12.9k plus 10% in cash, plop it on the counter, and demand their car back that instant with the brand new battery - and if Tesla doesn’t provide it they’re breaking the law. That’s pretty cut and dry bullshit.

Upvote 0
No irony intended.

Just to clarify Tesla didn’t install what ever battery they have, I waited for remanufactured battery for 2 months and the estimate we agreed to was for that same battery. In case they didn’t find that battery Tesla should’ve told me about this new battery prior to installing it. The issue here is about the a) cost difference B) not being transparent, C) failed communication, D) no consideration about what customer has to go through to come up with extra $10k, E) grossly failed process on their end. F) customer should not be paying for their mistake. G) someone needs to be fired for conducting this type of business.

Upvote 0