Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model S Suspension

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Shocked about how many model S issues there are with suspension. Seems to be all related to poor quality. My car was standing in my garage and suddenly fell down in the front. According to SC related to pot hole issue. Now looking at the Highway National Safety database, most issues there are Suspension and most of them the suspension is suddenly broken. Very concerning. Thought this was a Model S problem, but also Model 3 seems to have poor quality suspension problems causing many issues.

Shocked about how many model S issues there are with suspension. Seems to be all related to poor quality. My car was standing in my garage and suddenly fell down in the front. According to SC related to pot hole issue. Now looking at the Highway National Safety database, most issues there are Suspension and most of them the suspension is suddenly broken. Very concerning. Thought this was a Model S problem, but also Model 3 seems to have poor quality suspension problems causing many issues.

Majority of those NHTSA postings turned out to be fakes.

https://electrek.co/2018/08/27/tesla-fake-nhtsa-complaints-tactic-detractors/

I dont think the more recent ones are fake based on the increased reports here and the existence of the TSBs from Tesla. There is an issue, it just hasn't raised to the level of recall for whatever reason.

This is playing out a lot like the power steering bolt issue - individual reports, then TSB then upgraded to full recall.

Hi all. I have a Model S with 127,000 miles on it (serial #810 Signature 2012). I live in Michigan, and we arguably have the worse possible roads with an endless number of potholes and where there are no potholes-- there are craters!!! I drive approximately 18-20 K miles per year. Amazingly, my car holds its alignment reasonably well (considering a wheel had to replaced due to a bent wheel from pothole damage) and at the 100,000 mile inspection a part was replaced under warranty (I purchased the extended warranty) even though there wasn't an apparent problem with driving or driving dynamics relating to the suspension. I consider the Model S air suspension to be quite good. I think some of the problems reported may be isolated instances. In my opinion, Tesla addresses issues promptly and will make corrections if a problem should exist, unlike may other manufacturers that tend to deny the existence or underrate severity of issues or problems.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
I feel air a bit more sedate than coil. I’ve had a 16’ 90D coil and now an 18’ 100D air and there is a difference. Where coil has the advantage I found was in lateral force in the cabin on right turns or while driving fast and switching lanes. The air always feels a bit like it’s trying to find a stable point while the coil held its ground well.

Either is good :)[/QUOTE]