Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model X with Black 20-inch wheels - here's what it looks like

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pros:
  • Looks better (20" rims look almost as good as 22" rims). Therefore, better looks without loss of range
  • Cheaper than buying new rims
  • Another layer of protection on rims
Cons:
  • More expensive than staying with stock rims.

3gQs7D4.jpg

bpElB5v.jpg

Therefore, better looks without loss of range..

Could you confirm what this range loss actually is? I spoke to tesla sales person when we went to test drive my X with 22's and said that i thought that i had heard has high as 30%? loss...

He said no way and that there was no loss, like the 20's and 22's were basically the same...please lmk.

Could you confirm what this range loss actually is? I spoke to tesla sales person when we went to test drive my X with 22's and said that i thought that i had heard has high as 30%? loss...

He said no way and that there was no loss, like the 20's and 22's were basically the same...please lmk.

Tesla-Model-X-22-in-wheels-range.jpg

The Tesla configurator used to have this little note when one clicked on either of the 22s. Curiously, I just checked and that little noticed no longer shows up.

I do believe this statement is still valid, as the laws of physics have not yet changed.

I'm sure there are more qualified people to respond to the assertion that 22" wheels have a range penalty. Tesla initially posted a 10%-15% range hit on their website, but it may have been taken down now.

The consensus seems to indicate that there is a ~10% penalty due to added (unsprung) weight. Since steel weights more than rubber, and since there is more weight closer to the outer-reaches of the wheel, it takes more energy to get the wheels rotating.

There are after-market 22" wheels that weigh less than Tesla's 22" offering that should help reduce that penalty.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: Cowby and vandacca

Yes, the range losses are real. I've been tracking the reports of lifetime Wh/m in various threads in the X forums and the averages by wheel size are: 20" ~ 360, 22" ~ 430.

Personally, I put 20" TSW wheels with Nokian WRG3 SUV tires on as a winter setup early last December and my Wh/m remained the pretty much the same throughout the winter as it was with the 22's between our end of June delivery and when I put them on. Now that it's warming up (sort of), I have seen my average Wh/m begin dropping considerably. With the 22's it was hard to get below 400 consistently. Now, no problem.

As they say, YMMV. ;-)

So, I need 20-inch wheels on the X as I live in New York City (the roads would not be kind to 22-inch wheels). But I like the idea of black wheels so I may have the stock wheels powder-coated. For fun, I messed around in Photoshop to see what this would look like. It's not perfect but it's not bad. I'll post the results below.

If anyone wants to see another color Model X with these wheels, let me know. It's easy to do and I have a Photoshop file with all the exterior color variations in separate layers. I didn't want to clutter up the forum with too many pics in case there isn't much interest in this. I'm leaning toward blue - and might even keep the silver wheels as is, but black with black wheels has a certain appeal as well.

Any opinions? I included the 20" silver wheels on black and blue bodies for comparison. The first white one is pearl white, the second is regular white.

View attachment 103120View attachment 103119
View attachment 103118View attachment 103117
View attachment 103121View attachment 103122

Thanks for the preview! My Black X90D is going in on Thursday to get all mine painted high gloss black. I originally wanted the black 22s, but my 21s on my previous P85 MS cost me 5K a year.....so, no.

Interesting video. But I meant masking the inside of the wheel (while still mounted) so as not to get plastidip on the brake calipers, etc. If I'm going to pay someone to remove the wheels, I'll probably do powder coat for a more permanent solution. I like the concept of Plastidip, but I don't have enough cinder blocks to rest my Model X on while I'm spray painting the wheels with plastic paint. :)

I did this with my Wrangler. I took 2 off (did 1 at a time) but it took forever to wait for them to dry after putting several coats on (could take an hour per coat I believe) so after the first 2 I just took some paper towels and shoved them between the spokes of the remaining 2 so I could do both at the same time. It greatly sped up the process and didn't let anything go through.

Yes, the range losses are real. I've been tracking the reports of lifetime Wh/m in various threads in the X forums and the averages by wheel size are: 20" ~ 360, 22" ~ 430.

Personally, I put 20" TSW wheels with Nokian WRG3 SUV tires on as a winter setup early last December and my Wh/m remained the pretty much the same throughout the winter as it was with the 22's between our end of June delivery and when I put them on. Now that it's warming up (sort of), I have seen my average Wh/m begin dropping considerably. With the 22's it was hard to get below 400 consistently. Now, no problem.

As they say, YMMV. ;-)

ok, so this is very helpful! looks like a 16% loss to keep rolling on my 22's (they must be wider than the 20's as well)

this would basically equate to a 210 mile range at 100% as opposed to 250 miles for my P90D.

ok, so this is very helpful! looks like a 16% loss to keep rolling on my 22's (they must be wider than the 20's as well)

this would basically equate to a 210 mile range at 100% as opposed to 250 miles for my P90D.
I will add that this may be skewed a bit to higher Wh/m numbers for the folks with 22" wheels for a couple reasons. First, I have less than 1/3rd as many entries for 22" wheels as I do 20" wheels. Second, it has been my impression that the folks with 20" wheels seem to do more long distance drives which would push the Wh/m a bit lower due to less stop and go and generally more efficient usage.

Obviously, Tesla has more data than I do and if they initially said the 22" wheels where 10 - 15% less efficient I would trust those numbers. I have only been trying to verify them with owner experienced "real world" data.

Cheers!

Reactions: vandacca
So, I need 20-inch wheels on the X as I live in New York City (the roads would not be kind to 22-inch wheels). But I like the idea of black wheels so I may have the stock wheels powder-coated. For fun, I messed around in Photoshop to see what this would look like. It's not perfect but it's not bad. I'll post the results below.

If anyone wants to see another color Model X with these wheels, let me know. It's easy to do and I have a Photoshop file with all the exterior color variations in separate layers. I didn't want to clutter up the forum with too many pics in case there isn't much interest in this. I'm leaning toward blue - and might even keep the silver wheels as is, but black with black wheels has a certain appeal as well.

Any opinions? I included the 20" silver wheels on black and blue bodies for comparison. The first white one is pearl white, the second is regular white.

View attachment 103120View attachment 103119
View attachment 103118View attachment 103117
View attachment 103121View attachment 103122

Could you show the 20 inch wheels in black on the red multi-coat, metallic silver, and midnight silver metallic as well?

Thank you