Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model Y complète Shutdown due to 3rd Party EV charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello - my Tesla completely shutdown after Tesla assistance determined that a power surge from a 3rd party EV charger blew the battery fuse completely. I had to pay $1000 to get the car towed and send to a Tesla service station and this doesn’t include whatever Tesla will charge to repair. I’m going after this 3rd party EV charging company for reimbursement but would like to understand if other owners experienced the same. I’ve spent my entire day dealing with this but wonder how frequently this occurs on Tesla vehicles. Basically after inserting 44 kw plug, the EV station exploded with some smoke coming out. After trying to drive off my model Y wouldn’t move, requires service and no longer drive able. This is frightening to say the least as a charging station can take out your car. Really curious if others faced similar or same issues as this will determine if I should even continue driving this car.

That's not normal! Things usually shut down a whole lot faster than what it takes to go pyrotechnic.

Hopefully it didn't start with your car trying to draw 250kW from a 44kW unit. They are supposed to communicate and sort all that out before any juice is applied.

1000 bucks is an expensive tow! Halfway across France?

That's not normal! Things usually shut down a whole lot faster than what it takes to go pyrotechnic.

Hopefully it didn't start with your car trying to draw 250kW from a 44kW unit. They are supposed to communicate and sort all that out before any juice is applied.

1000 bucks is an expensive tow! Halfway across France?
I’m fairly sure I got ripped off but they claimed it was also for storing in their garage overnight. In any case I’m going after whoever is at fault for reimbursement. Finally loaded into their flatbed tow truck at 3am! Spent two hours trying to get it to roll by trying to recharge battery. They were aware of towing mode (found out after calling Tesla assistance again). My explanation via google translate to not bother recharging fell on deaf ears. Then told that I need to speak French when in France! The window was half down in the rain and the power went out. My night couldn’t have been any worst!

I’ll ask the Tesla service folks on Monday if Tesla in fact tried to draw more power from a 44kw output. It’s just very odd how all this happened.

Gotta be a DC fast charger. L2 only runs up to around 13KW(although in France that might be different, it's not gonna be tripled+)

OP, this never happens on Tesla vehicles(except to you)
This was a 3rd party EV charger in France. I will steer clear away from their chargers… but now I’m wondering if Tesla tried to extract more wattage than the output which caused the EV station to explode.. hmmm

Attachments

• IMG_5928.jpeg
    IMG_5928.jpeg
    477.9 KB · Views: 4
Was this a L2 charger or DC fast charger?
It was a 3rd party EV charging station, not sure if it's AC vs DC, but suspect it's DC ... I'm being told that maybe best to only charge at Tesla charging stations as other 3rd party may ruin the battery, any truth to this? Similar comparison is to avoid using 3rd party iPhone chargers as apparently they ruin the battery due to inconsistent power output/usage.

Gotta be a DC fast charger. L2 only runs up to around 13KW(although in France that might be different, it's not gonna be tripled+)

OP, this never happens on Tesla vehicles(except to you)

Tesla assistance guy in the Netherlands said the same, I should be rewarded as this sounds like a jackpot event! I'm looking forward to Tesla and this EV charging station company blaming each other for this issue.

This was a 3rd party EV charger in France. I will steer clear away from their chargers… but now I’m wondering if Tesla tried to extract more wattage than the output which caused the EV station to explode.. hmmm
Sorry to hear.

To be clear, that is an L3 DC fast charger, combo CCS and Chademo, not an L2 AC charge station. The 2 different charge handles are clearly visible in the picture.

A similar thing happened to an F150 Lightning on an Electrify America charger. I don't know who ultimately paid for the repair:

Last edited:
Reactions: nohjames
The charger and the car are likely both at fault to some degree. Neither of them shut down the process before the charger exploded.

Things normally only go kablooie like that when a whole lot of current gets loose all of a sudden. It's possible that the charger spontaneously threw the wobbly but I am doubtful there was no warning.

The charger people should be more interested in the forensics than liabilities. Likewise Tesla should be simply making you whole and cracking on with figuring out how it happened. This is not normal and not supposed to happen ever!

Reactions: nohjames
Last edited:
The charger and the car are likely both at fault to some degree. Neither of them shut down the process before the charger exploded.

Things normally only go kablooie like that when a whole lot of current gets loose all of a sudden. It's possible that the charger spontaneously threw the wobbly but I am doubtful there was no warning.

The charger people should be more interested in the forensics than liabilities. Likewise Tesla should be simply making you whole and cracking on with figuring out how it happened. This is not normal and not supposed to happen ever!
Tesla France has told me they will not even reimburse the relevant cost! Said it's my issue and that it's completely 3rd party EV chargers fault and further, they won't even provide me with any diagnostics and evidence it's not Tesla's fault or issue! Picked up this car new only 3 months ago and they said warranty does not even cover repair work... I'm at a lost for words here.

Tesla France has told me they will not even reimburse the relevant cost! Said it's my issue and that it's completely 3rd party EV chargers fault and further, they won't even provide me with any diagnostics and evidence it's not Tesla's fault or issue! Picked up this car new only 3 months ago and they said warranty does not even cover repair work... I'm at a lost for words here.
Going on the information we have currently, I can't see how this has anything to do with Tesla nor why they should spend time investigating an issue with a 3rd party charger. There probably is very little they can diagnose anyway if it's just the fuse that's blown.

The car did it's job by blowing the fuse to protect everything behind it, the charger obviously didn't as evidenced by "exploding" and smoking.
If it transpires Tesla have to replace more than just the fuse, that might be reason to ask more of them but for now, the focus on blame should be directed to the charger.

Going on the information we have currently, I can't see how this has anything to do with Tesla nor why they should spend time investigating an issue with a 3rd party charger. There probably is very little they can diagnose anyway if it's just the fuse that's blown.

The car did it's job by blowing the fuse to protect everything behind it, the charger obviously didn't as evidenced by "exploding" and smoking.
If it transpires Tesla have to replace more than just the fuse, that might be reason to ask more of them but for now, the focus on blame should be directed to the charger.
Agreed, but why is Tesla withholding the technical diagnosis for this case, they said my invoice was enough evidence.. seriously? I need some evidence to go back to the EV charging company for responsiblilty and reimbursement. At this stage, something fishy is going on. As preivous poster has indicated, there needs to be a proper handshake between car and EV charging station. I'm serioulsy wondeirng why I even bought an EV now given this is a serious risk (albeit a tail risk apparently) for all EV cars. Is this really that rare? I'd love to the stats!

Agreed, but why is Tesla withholding the technical diagnosis for this case, they said my invoice was enough evidence.. seriously? I need some evidence to go back to the EV charging company for responsiblilty and reimbursement. At this stage, something fishy is going on. As preivous poster has indicated, there needs to be a proper handshake between car and EV charging station. I'm serioulsy wondeirng why I even bought an EV now given this is a serious risk (albeit a tail risk apparently) for all EV cars. Is this really that rare? I'd love to the stats!
But it's clear cut. If the invoice shows your fuse needs replacement that's because it's had a surge from the charger. There is very little else to cause that and Tesla may not have any further information to tell you. There's nothing fishy going on other than the charger had a fault and it's blown your fuse.
Once the handshake is done and connection established, if the charger then decides to reverse polarity or surge to 800V or whatever else it may have done, that's the charger's fault and it's doubtful there will be anything in the logs as the fuse will blow first.
Yes, these situations are rare but the more companies entering the fast charging arena, the more likely there will be issues if they don't put enough protection in them.
Most Tesla owners stick to Tesla SuCs even if it means going off their route to do so. If you want no further trouble, I suggest you use that strategy.
Too many Tesla owners like to blame Tesla for everything bad that happens to them. Take a step back and look at the situation more objectively.

Reactions: Pianewman
Am I reading this correctly? The Tesla fuse operated exactly as designed, right? Why would this be Tesla's fault? The fuse blew before any power got past it, so I don't see how any diagnostic would show anything (just paraphrasing what others have said)

If I grenade an ICE engine because of bad fuel, it isn't the car's fault. (That's why every drop of fuel going into my ICE cars gets a paid receipt!)