Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model Y does not show USB flash drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I just got my Tesla Y 2023. I wanted to play music from my USB flash drive and I have tried to use it both with the port inside the glove box (using a USB hub so that the sentry/dahscam works) as well as with the port inside the side compartment (using a to c adapter). But, Tesla does not recognize anything it seems or I am not sure where to look. I do not see any USB option added to the various apps (like Dashcam, Bluetooth, Spotify, Radio, etc.) and I do not see any USB option in the dropdown in the Media Center (which shows Spotify, Tidal, Radio, etc.). I have even tried to reset my screen by pressing the brake and two buttons on the steering wheel (the USB flash drive was plugged into the port in the side compartment during that time). After the screen came up, it did not show the USB. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Cars earlier than a certain date will have active center console . It's
only after they moved the active port to the glove box that the other
ports became power only ports. The power only ports can be retrofitted
to be active with a pc board kit and cable sold on most of the aftermarket
sites.

Upvote 0
Cars earlier than a certain date will have active center console . It's
only after they moved the active port to the glove box that the other
ports became power only ports. The power only ports can be retrofitted
to be active with a pc board kit and cable sold on most of the aftermarket
sites.
The retrofit with the USB module has been removed in the 2024 MY. There is no USB port on the MCU to plug in the USB connection from the module anymore. Trust me, I have opened it up and looked for myself. The only solution for 2024 MY is a USB hub placed in the glove box or get a larger flash drive and partition it into 2 or 3 partitions using exFAT partition. Some of the sites that sell the USB module have started to say that module is not going to work for HW4.

Upvote 0
I bought a Hub for 25 bucks for the glove box. Works fine.
could be they have programmed the option out?
Some just partition there sentry usb stick or put a larger one in and do the
same.
The USB option did not appear in the main menu till I installed a another flash drive in the Hub with Music on it . Can't recall if I named the folder on the second stick. I would imagine you could put a Hub on the glovebox
active line and run it out to the Consoles usb's .

My Music Drive is volume is Music 2
then I have sub folders
exFat format.
Usb optiion disappears from ... menu when unplugged then is there when its
plugged in .
I have it in the lower command bar menu as favorites.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I bought a Hub for 25 bucks for the glove box. Works fine.
could be they have programmed the option out?
Some just partition there sentry usb stick or put a larger one in and do the
same.
The USB option did not appear in the main menu till I installed a another flash drive in the Hub with Music on it . Can't recall if I named the folder on the second stick. I would imagine you could put a Hub on the glovebox
active line and run it out to the Consoles usb's .

My Music Drive is volume is Music 2
then I have sub folders
exFat format.
Usb optiion disappears from ... menu when unplugged then is there when its
plugged in .
I have it in the lower command bar menu as favorites.
The USB Hub works great. I got one on Amazon too or around $26 and found out the same hub is available on AliExpress for $3.96! But it has 4 ports and so far I have 3 USB flash drives all working flawlessly. BTW! I talked to Tesla tech guys and he confirmed that the only data port on 2024 MY is in the glovebox and there is no way to retrofit a data port in the center console.
Screenshot 2024-02-04 164228.png

Upvote 0
yeah but you can have a hub in the glove and you should be able to run ports out from that .
Or put a hub on the point it connects to the main board .
There has be a point where the glove box port originates.
Well! That is probably ok with hard core DIYers like you. But for the rest of us, a simple USB hub in the glove box solves the problem. Its not the most convenient but for now it will do.

Upvote 0
Hi,

I just got my Tesla Y 2023. I wanted to play music from my USB flash drive and I have tried to use it both with the port inside the glove box (using a USB hub so that the sentry/dahscam works) as well as with the port inside the side compartment (using a to c adapter). But, Tesla does not recognize anything it seems or I am not sure where to look. I do not see any USB option added to the various apps (like Dashcam, Bluetooth, Spotify, Radio, etc.) and I do not see any USB option in the dropdown in the Media Center (which shows Spotify, Tidal, Radio, etc.). I have even tried to reset my screen by pressing the brake and two buttons on the steering wheel (the USB flash drive was plugged into the port in the side compartment during that time). After the screen came up, it did not show the USB. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Order the data module on amazon as well as the glove box and center console hubs

TPARTS Center Console Data Transmission USB Recovery Fast Charging Module for Tesla Model 3/Y (2022-2023) (Upgraded). Tesla Adapter Accessories​

Klutchtech Tesla 2021 2022 2023 Model 3/Y Glove Box USB Hub, 4-in-1 USB Hub Glove Box Dash Cam Flash Drive Docking Station

2023-2021 Model 3/Y Center Console Hub (Real-time Charging Data)

Attachments

• Tesla 4 USB Drives IMG_9285.JPG
    Tesla 4 USB Drives IMG_9285.JPG
    33.9 KB · Views: 22
  • Tesla Console Hub IMG_9589.jpg
    Tesla Console Hub IMG_9589.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 19
  • Tesla Glovebox Hub Klutchtech IMG_9525.JPG
    Tesla Glovebox Hub Klutchtech IMG_9525.JPG
    69 KB · Views: 18
  • Tesla Data Module IMG_9224.JPG
    Tesla Data Module IMG_9224.JPG