Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model Y does not show USB flash drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I just got my Tesla Y 2023. I wanted to play music from my USB flash drive and I have tried to use it both with the port inside the glove box (using a USB hub so that the sentry/dahscam works) as well as with the port inside the side compartment (using a to c adapter). But, Tesla does not recognize anything it seems or I am not sure where to look. I do not see any USB option added to the various apps (like Dashcam, Bluetooth, Spotify, Radio, etc.) and I do not see any USB option in the dropdown in the Media Center (which shows Spotify, Tidal, Radio, etc.). I have even tried to reset my screen by pressing the brake and two buttons on the steering wheel (the USB flash drive was plugged into the port in the side compartment during that time). After the screen came up, it did not show the USB. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

The only data capable port is in the glovebox. The others can only charge devices.

Have you tried using just the usb with the music on it to rule out an incompatible hub? I realize that means no sentry, etc but we are troubleshooting.

An option would be to partition a usb drive or preferably a high endurance ssd card to store both sentry and your music on the same device but on separate partitions.

Upvote 0
I have same issue with Model Y 2023. The USB port in glovebox doesn't recognize the USB media or USB hubs. It recognize only the tesla provided USB stick for dashcam for some reason. Did anyone find a solution?
Just moved from my 2019 Mod3 to a 2023 ModY. Was disappointed to find the console type C connectors are charge only.

I was using this in my Mod3 and it works fine in the glove compartment of the ModY: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ARAH6O0/

With 2 of these plugged into it: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07B9KTLJZ/

That is a bit large however, so I just ordered one of these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0779V61XB
which I will try this weekend.

Upvote 0
I just ordered one of these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0779V61XB
which I will try this weekend.
This smaller $10 one works fine and fits more conveniently in the glove box.

I use one SD card for the dashcam and one for FLAC music. The one for the dashcam has to have the correct subdirectory on it.

Warning: I have not tried the UI formatting on this setup -- not sure if that would work properly (i.e. select the correct SD card to format). I set these 2 cards up for my Mod3 in 2019 using a computer and have been using them since. Occasionally a new software release will warn me about doing it this way but it continues to work.

Be sure to get the Pro Endurance SD card for the dashcam. The one for the music can be most anything.

Upvote 0
Same problem got my Y yesterday . It looks like no data for the center consoles usb only power. I will have to get a port expander or a bigger drive and partition for the glove box. The bad thing is the manual still calls this a working feature.

Also says you have to use exFAT as a partition size when you do this.
Did the Volume you partitioned pop up . What did you name each volume?

I reformatted the video drive and it definatly ask you if you want to use exfat which is the only selection.

Upvote 0
The bad thing is the manual still calls this a working feature.

Perhaps you have a different version of the manual, but the manual has called out that there may be no data in the center console ports for quite some time. It does say "may" and that "may" should be removed but it does specifically call this out as of november of 2021 vehicles.

Screen Shot 2023-03-23 at 6.15.08 PM.png

Upvote 0
I have been looking at online manual's maybe that is the problem.
I see there are a number of solutions like . Getting a larger Glove box
drive and partition it. Getting a usb Hub and installing it in the glove but
which one. Also one company was actually selling the part that got deleted
when these consol ports where active. Then do you need and app
to play the files is the next question.

Yeah I didn't see that in the manual I just assumed a USB port would have data capabilty unless it's a phone charger that I plug into a power strip. Also two years ago when the Y first came out I took a usb stick into my test drive
and it worked . So thanks for pointing that out.

Upvote 0
This smaller $10 one works fine and fits more conveniently in the glove box.

I use one SD card for the dashcam and one for FLAC music. The one for the dashcam has to have the correct subdirectory on it.

Warning: I have not tried the UI formatting on this setup -- not sure if that would work properly (i.e. select the correct SD card to format). I set these 2 cards up for my Mod3 in 2019 using a computer and have been using them since. Occasionally a new software release will warn me about doing it this way but it continues to work.

Be sure to get the Pro Endurance SD card for the dashcam. The one for the music can be most anything.
To be sure I understand: does this smaller one come with TWO microSD slots? Or do you use 1 SD and 1 regular size memory card?

Upvote 0
I only use flash drive's SD cards are to small to handle.
Thing about the glove box connection is I believe it never power down.
I am thinking about buying one of the chip pod kits that gets
the data going in the console. This would allow a direct data connecto
to your phone. Looks like tparts has the cheapest one
that also includes the most complete tool sets.
the Hub I got has 4 ports . Three USBA and one usbC.

Upvote 0
Same problem got my Y yesterday . It looks like no data for the center consoles usb only power. I will have to get a port expander or a bigger drive and partition for the glove box. The bad thing is the manual still calls this a working feature.

Also says you have to use exFAT as a partition size when you do this.
Did the Volume you partitioned pop up . What did you name each volume?

I reformatted the video drive and it definatly ask you if you want to use exfat which is the only selection.
E fat is also found in MacOS.

Upvote 0
Yeah I spent several hours thinking it was something I was doing wrong with
the USB Drives . I test drove a Y when they first came out and took a flash drive
with me it worked then . So I was kind of surprised it didn't work when I tried the center console usb's .
Get one of those usb hubs for the glove it's enough to get you going .
I have the same Music that I use in my other car it won't fill up even a 32 gig
flash drive. But there could be some value in hooking your phone up to the
center console. Cheapest and Most complete chip adapter for this seems to be from Tparts.
As far as I understand eFat is just a larger partition.

Upvote 0
I just got my wife a M3 two weeks ago. She listens to a lot of story CD's from the library, so I found a USB CD player (listed on another thread here) on Amazon, and purchased it. Worked fine. Then the car got a software update, and no longer recognized the CD player. After a lengthy discussion with Tesla service, (they suggested I try reformatting the CD - where DO they find these tech advisors?) they said that due to security concerns, access to CD drives had been removed, and I should use a USB stick instead. Not sure how USB memory data is safer than USB CD data, but in any case, I'm not going to spend time ripping library CD's that my wife will listen to once! Tesla service did tell me about library digital download services, so that is a helpful suggestion, at least!
I'm going to order the console data transmission module, so thanks very much for that tip!

Upvote 0
I have same issue with Model Y 2023. The USB port in glovebox doesn't recognize the USB media or USB hubs. It recognize only the tesla provided USB stick for dashcam for some reason. Did anyone find a solution?
I had the same issue with a T7 2TB, then I found this forum, and hearing that I wasnt alone, I tried this:

1) I formatted the drive via my Tesla 3

2) connected the drive to my Laptop, and followed the manual format instructions.

(Upon connection to my Laptop I noticed that the drive was named Tesla Drive) So I added the base folders (New 📂 Folder) renamed it TeslaCam and Tesla TrackMode.

3) reconnected it to the USB port in the Glovebox, and "VOILA" it worked.

Upvote 0
I just got my wife a M3 two weeks ago. She listens to a lot of story CD's from the library, so I found a USB CD player (listed on another thread here) on Amazon, and purchased it. Worked fine. Then the car got a software update, and no longer recognized the CD player. After a lengthy discussion with Tesla service, (they suggested I try reformatting the CD - where DO they find these tech advisors?) they said that due to security concerns, access to CD drives had been removed, and I should use a USB stick instead. Not sure how USB memory data is safer than USB CD data, but in any case, I'm not going to spend time ripping library CD's that my wife will listen to once! Tesla service did tell me about library digital download services, so that is a helpful suggestion, at least!
I'm going to order the console data transmission module, so thanks very much for that tip!
An alternative way, is to use the Bluetooth connection with your phone and start the Audible app, music app or iTunes. I have a Samsung Galaxy Note with an expandable memory card, which holds my music and similar files, that I play through Bluetooth connected to my Tesla 3.

Upvote 0
I've spent time on both a CD drive and music on a USB stick in the last month, mostly on my 2023 model 3 RWD.
Observations:
1. Yes, only the glove box USB-A port is actually a functional USB data connection in my car--the four USB-C ports in the console and rear are power only.
2. My car accepted a simple USB hub plugged into the glove box port, with the original Tesla USB stick and my own memory stick plugged into the hub.
3. The memory stick I use for music is a 128 Gbyte one, which I reformatted to exFAT on my PC.
4. The USB source option ONLY shows up on the car when a USB stick is plugged in which has music files on it, of acceptable type, with the stick acceptably formatted.
5. When the car is noticing that a music-containing USB stick is plugged in the app tray which appears if you touch the three-dot app launcher icon at the bottom of the screen includes a USB icon. That icon is not there if the stick is unplugged (i.e. it does not appear when you only have the Tesla original key with original content (Sentry, dashcam... ) on it.
6. When the car is noticing that a music-containing USB stick is plugged in, a similar USB icon appears in the list of sound sources however you get to it. As with the app tray, that icon disappears if you unplug the music stick.

My particular CD player was too big to fit in the glove box, making an awkward choice between playing music with the glove box open, or closing the door on the cable and risking damage to both. It usually worked, but somewhat often the "I see it" USB icon failed to appear, which I'd generally get around either by just unplugging and reconnecting the USB cable, or by ejecting and inserting a CD. But after a few weeks I never again saw it be recognized. I think the player failed in some way.

I'm now about 5% of my way into the project of ripping my CD collection to mp3 files to load on the USB stick. I had sternly resisted this solution before my second failed try at getting a CD player to work. I'm enjoying listening to my music, and use of "folder view" makes my collection more accessible than I expected. Just last night I finally noticed that the mini player has a progress bar at the bottom which shows relative position within an audio file while one is playing. One can move to an arbitrary location in the file by touching the progress bar.

Upvote 0