Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model Y Dog Mode...Almost Killed My Dog

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Long story short, my car has been in body shop for the last 2 weeks due to various issues. Today, I took my wife and dog for a quick drive. Currently, there's a heat wave in Los Angeles and I left my dog in the car with Dog Mode on. While I was in the super market, the app notified me that climate has turned off due to a climate system error. Then I checked interior car temperature was at 109 degrees!!! Luckily, my dog was ok, but that was no fun.

I tried soft reset (holding down both wheel buttons for 10 seconds) and I also hard reset/power off the car. None of that worked and I'm furious. I'm aware that nothing is perfect...but I do not wish my any of pet parents will ever experience what happened to me earlier today!

BTW, my car software is 2020.12.20

I staying away from @firerock, he's a magnet for bad stuff happening. 51 posts all with issues about his car.

I've owned 3 Model S's and haven't the amount of challenges he has had with his single purchase with 3 purchases and hundreds of thousands of miles driving 3 Model S's. If I see you getting on the same plane as me, when the pandemics ends, I will get off the plane. ;)

Have you thought about getting your car exorcized?

I staying away from @firerock, he's a magnet for bad stuff happening. 51 posts all with issues about his car.

I've owned 3 Model S's and haven't the amount of challenges he has had with his single purchase with 3 purchases and hundreds of thousands of miles driving 3 Model S's. If I see you getting on the same plane as me, when the pandemics ends, I will get off the plane. ;)

Have you thought about getting your car exorcized?

Believe it or not, this is my 4th Tesla ( 3 Model S and Model Y) The first Model S was so defective that Tesla bought it back and build a new one for me. It had system brake issue that it would stop in the middle of drive! I'm new here, but you can find my older posts on Tesla official forum.

When I use Dog mode I set a timer on my phone for every 10 minutes.
And verify everything looks good and I physically check it often if it’s dangerously hot.
Hi, may be a different topic, but some people mentioned sleeping in their car during a long trip, for example.
Would you use "Dog Mode", "Camp Mode", "Cabin Overheat Protection", or anything else to keep the car warm and cozy in hot or cold weather?
Can someone give some recommendation or explain the difference between the different possible modes existing?

Last edited:
Hi, may be a different topic, but some people mentioned sleeping in their car during a long trip, for example.
Would you use the "Dog Mode", or "Camp Mode", or anything else to keep the car warm and cozy in hot or cold weather?
Can someone give some recommendation or explain the difference between the different possible modes existing?

if you sleep in the car use “camp mode” that’s why there’s the campfire on the screen and you are comfortable throughout the night (a youtuber said he had it around 70 through the night and it drained 8% or somewhere around there).

dog mode is for your animals when you are at a grocery store for example - your screen displays a dog to let people outside know it’s ok and for them to not break your window to save the dog

during general hot weather you should just turn on your climate when you are waiting at checkout in a store or for example when I’m 5 mins from leaving work I turn on climate control from the Tesla app

2020.12.20 are you “sure” about that version ?

What level was the battery at ?

Sorry, 2020.12.10. I was rushing while typing.

I believe I had about 180 miles left.

20200425_192650.jpg

Last edited:
if you sleep in the car use “camp mode” that’s why there’s the campfire on the screen and you are comfortable throughout the night
(a youtuber said he had it around 70 through the night and it drained 8% or somewhere around there).
I look at the "Camp Mode" but I wonder if there is a way to turn off the screen, or to switch the screen to access other functions like
the Web Browser, the Audio, the Entertainment, the Map, or even open the glove box?

You sounded a bit surprised in your video that you were having problems. You bought literally the first month of production of a brand new model. That is the worst-case scenario that practically guarantees that you will at least see some issues with the car regardless of the manufacturer. I wouldn't go near the first 10,000 units manufactured regardless. Even then, it typically takes most manufacturers a year to a year and a half to work out all the early bugs on a completely new model, whether they are due to assembly quirks, manufacturing problems, programming issues, or whatever. And, of course, even after they've worked out the early issues, any car can suffer from defects.

Thanks for posting, glad you got the alert and the dog is ok, the set the alarm every 10 minutes to check things out is a great idea. We should all run dog mode next time we are out shopping whether there’s a pet in it or not to ensure it doesn’t fail.

Fred
I agree. I am going to run it today and check even though I do not take my dog with me on errands. Am always afraid something bad will happen if I leave him alone in the car. Once he ate the knobs off the radio! lol

You sounded a bit surprised in your video that you were having problems. You bought literally the first month of production of a brand new model. That is the worst-case scenario that practically guarantees that you will at least see some issues with the car regardless of the manufacturer. I wouldn't go near the first 10,000 units manufactured regardless. Even then, it typically takes most manufacturers a year to a year and a half to work out all the early bugs on a completely new model, whether they are due to assembly quirks, manufacturing problems, programming issues, or whatever. And, of course, even after they've worked out the early issues, any car can suffer from defects.
I appreciate the "Founders Editions" buyers. They take risks I'm not willing to.

This is exactly why various animal charities have argued against dog mode.

Where they're concerned that owners will rely on it 100%.

Dog mode needs to have multiple levels of redundancy. Like automatically rolling down the windows if the climate control system isn't maintaining a temperature below a certain degree. If that doesn't reduce the temp enough then honking the horn with some message displayed on the screen.

Right now the redundancy in on the human checking every X of minutes.

This is exactly why various animal charities have argued against dog mode.

Where they're concerned that owners will rely on it 100%.

Dog mode needs to have multiple levels of redundancy. Like automatically rolling down the windows if the climate control system isn't maintaining a temperature below a certain degree. If that doesn't reduce the temp enough then honking the horn with some message displayed on the screen.

Right now the redundancy in on the human checking every X of minutes.
Exactly. There is no way I would trust the life of my dog with this system. The best practice is do not leave your dog (or child) unattended in car EVER! Forget dog mode..just don't do it.