Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model Y Glass Roof Sunshade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also have the original sun shade and it does sag, found this one on Amazon that is made is two long rectangles and it makes more sense, should not sag. Have to justify to wife on getting this new one just for the sag problem.

I also have the original sun shade and it does sag, found this one on Amazon that is made is two long rectangles and it makes more sense, should not sag. Have to justify to wife on getting this new one just for the sag problem.

All of the vendors claim that their sunscreens don't sag either as is or with the help of magnets. Yet all of the unaided ones reportedly do sag when you read the reviews including the mixed reviews for this one on Amazon that I just read. What makes this claim anymore valid?

Last edited:

I purchased this one. I think it is better than the one piece one. But they overlap a little. But less sag...

I decided to get a sunshade for my Model Y. I purchased this one as it was on sale ($10 coupon) at the time.

Amazon.com: KIKIMO Tesla Model Y Sunshade,Tesla Model Y Accessories,Foldable Glass Roof Sunshade with Sunroof Reflective Covers,Blocks 99.8% UV Rays and Keep Cool,with Dustproof Storage Bag (Model y sunroof) : Automotive

You can probably find the identical sunshade from a dozen vendors. The KIKIMO sunshade for the Model Y comes with an optional second layer that is black on one side and reflective silver colored fabric on the outward facing side. You can optionally install the second layer between the roof and the mesh sunshade. I may try the second layer next summer.

The mesh fabric of the KIKIMO sunshade definitely helps reduce the intensity of the direct rays on the sun on my bald head, seems to keep the passenger cabin a bit cooler. I still rely on Cabin Overheat Protection to keep the cabin temperature below 105F. Earlier this week I parked my Model Y facing towards the west. The time was 5PM EST and when I opened the Tesla app about an hour later the temperature inside my Model Y was 100F. (I do not have any aftermarket tint on my Model Y glass.) The sun was low enough that the heating effect of the sun was probably 90% from the windshield that is untreated. I could have deployed an interior sun shade for the windshield but did not bother.

The KIKIMO sunshade comes with 8 clips, fits well. There is some sag; the sag is noticeable in the center and around the outer edges if you look for it. The sunshade sags in the center but does not interfere with the view out of the rear view mirror. The low point of the sag is behind the front seats and ahead of the second row seats so the sag should not be an issue even for tall passengers. I find the sag is not noticeable unless you are looking for it, poking the fabric. I did not notice any creases in the mesh fabric when I first installed the sun shade.

My plan is to remove the sunshade in the fall, re-install next spring. However I am lazy and may decide just to leave the sunshade in place all of the time. The view through the glass roof of the Model Y is wonderful but I can see everything I need to see through the windshield and rarely have second row passengers in my Model Y.

I have purchased a number of interior accessories for my Model Y and after the Tesmanian floor liners I would say that the KIKIMO sunshade is my second most favorite interior accessory.

Last edited:
Reactions: sleepydoc
I just bought the ThinSGO sunshade on Amazon for the Model Y, only because a seller posted a discount code on one of the Tesla FB groups so it came out to $19 shipped after sales tax & free Prime shipping.

I should be getting it on Friday, but figured if the sunshade is no good then I can always return it for a full refund. If it's at all decent, then for the price I figured it wouldn't hurt to use on long trips during the summer months, even if it does sag.

I just bought the ThinSGO sunshade on Amazon for the Model Y, only because a seller posted a discount code on one of the Tesla FB groups so it came out to $19 shipped after sales tax & free Prime shipping.

I should be getting it on Friday, but figured if the sunshade is no good then I can always return it for a full refund. If it's at all decent, then for the price I figured it wouldn't hurt to use on long trips during the summer months, even if it does sag.

Do you still have the discount code or does it still work?

Were you referring to the sun shade for the windshield or the sun shde for the glass roof?

https://www.amazon.com/ThinSGO-Windshield-Sunshade-Foldable-Protector/dp/B0972JBW5Q/

https://www.amazon.com/ThinSGO-Tesla-Sunshade-Sunroof-Window/dp/B08W46NTPB/

Do you still have the discount code or does it still work?

Looks like the code doesn't work any more. I just tried it, but the post was still there so I took a screen shot of it below.

I received mine but haven't taken it out, and may not end up using it since I'm getting the sunroof tinted tomorrow. If the Xpel tint ends up having enough heat rejection for me, then I'm not going to use the sunshade and will just give it away to somebody local.

Sunshadecode.jpg

Reactions: miggz410
Looks like the code doesn't work any more. I just tried it, but the post was still there so I took a screen shot of it below.

I received mine but haven't taken it out, and may not end up using it since I'm getting the sunroof tinted tomorrow. If the Xpel tint ends up having enough heat rejection for me, then I'm not going to use the sunshade and will just give it away to somebody local.

Sunshadecode.jpg

Thanks... Must be one time use only per account. It worked for me and was able to get it for just under $22 shipped... Not a bad price to try it out. But looks good enough from this review video.

I thought about tinting my Sunroof... But for the cost I decided not to do it. I will probably only be using the sunshade only on the days/week it gets really hot up here in Norcal, maybe 3 months a year.

Last edited:
Reactions: SDM44
Is it better to tint the roof or use sunshade?
You decide. One costs ~$50, the other ~$400. (You can install and remove the sun shade whenever you want.) If you live in the south west or gulf states then tinting the glass roof may provide some additional benefit. (The glass roof has a 5% factory tint (filters 95% of visible light) and is treated to reject UV and IR (heat). The Tesla glass roof performed well in rejecting solar heat according to independent tests on Youtube. First consider tinting the windshield and side windows, rear hatch. That will provide the most benefit. Be aware that tinting the windshield with a ceramic tint will make it harder to defrost the glass in winter. (That is how well the latest ceramic tints perform at rejecting IR (heat).)

Reactions: ucsdsig
You decide. One costs ~$50, the other ~$400. (You can install and remove the sun shade whenever you want.) If you live in the south west or gulf states then tinting the glass roof may provide some additional benefit. (The glass roof has a 5% factory tint (filters 95% of visible light) and is treated to reject UV and IR (heat). The Tesla glass roof performed well in rejecting solar heat according to independent tests on Youtube. First consider tinting the windshield and side windows, rear hatch. That will provide the most benefit. Be aware that tinting the windshield with a ceramic tint will make it harder to defrost the glass in winter. (That is how well the latest ceramic tints perform at rejecting IR (heat).)
I would say getting the sun shade. I haven’t looked at the tests @jcanoe mentioned, but I would wager the glass blocks but does not reflect IR radiation. Regardless of the tint and UV/IR rejection, the glass itself gets hot and ultimately that heat gets transmitted to the cabin. A sunshade not only provides a physical barrier but also creates a small air gap between the shade and the glass, effectively insulating and reducing the heat in the cabin. Unless you can find a tint or coating that would actually reflect more of the IR radiation I think the sunshade will give you more of a benefit.

I would say getting the sun shade. I haven’t looked at the tests @jcanoe mentioned, but I would wager the glass blocks but does not reflect IR radiation. Regardless of the tint and UV/IR rejection, the glass itself gets hot and ultimately that heat gets transmitted to the cabin. A sunshade not only provides a physical barrier but also creates a small air gap between the shade and the glass, effectively insulating and reducing the heat in the cabin. Unless you can find a tint or coating that would actually reflect more of the IR radiation I think the sunshade will give you more of a benefit.
I installed a sun shade in my Model Y back in June '21. I noticed the difference right away. On a clear day when the sun is above tree level the mesh fabric of the sun shade in my Model Y effectively diffuses the rays of the sun. The sun does not feel as intense on my bald head. The sun shade sags a little but does not get in the way. I am torn between leaving the sun shade installed year round or removing the sun shade for autumn and winter, re-installing the sun shade next spring. (Installation takes a little bit of fussing with the 8 clips that hold the sun shade in place, otherwise it is easy to install. Don't lose the clips.) The sun shade I purchased came with an additional fabric cover that fully blocks the sun. I may try the additional cover next summer but living in Maryland I don't really think the optional black out cover is needed.

Is it better to tint the roof or use sunshade?
I definitely vote for a sun shade. I really don’t like the heat of the sun overhead, and in fact even the mesh sunshade still let too much through for me. I since installed the Heatshield product instead which blocks all light and heat and it’s been so nice and cool. When Summer is over I’ll probably take it off and enjoy beautiful view, but for now I’m staying cool 😎