Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model Y Long Range Only Hits 220 miles in Real World Test

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I believe EPA average speed for “highway” is like ~48 mph. There are plenty of tests showing 70 to 75mph gets about 290 to 310 Wh/mi. Does your wife drive 50 or 55, because there is a huge energy difference between that and 70 or 75…
Thanks for the question. She doesn't test these things. I do. I only did some short test runs after we took delivery and the Y and my S were very close in wh/mile. Our flat road no wind test runs were 265wh/mile at 75mph which is our typical highway speeds. We tested for 5minute average with the wh meter. That 75mph speed efficiency does reduce the anticipated range on the whole battery to about 305-310 miles on the Y and 390miles on my S LR+.

I don't believe the EPA testing is at 48mph but rather a mixture of test bench to simulate stop and go for city Plus 55mph for highways. I agree that the highway portion is out of date as most highways are 65-75mph these days. However, the use of regen braking is a benefit to EV's, some more than others.

All that considering, it is wrong to claim Tesla is faking the range in their specs. It is what EPA claims. Personally, I am quite pleased with the range I get from both my cars. I am more of an efficiency hawk than a speeder. I keep the Tesla hub caps on because they claim they help make the car more efficient. I have never tested without them.

Reactions: AlexHung
Agreed.
"Real world" isn't driving for hundreds of miles uninterrupted at 70/80/90 mph in the middle of nowhere with no traffic. These highway range tests are mostly completely artificial and possibly only relevant to some people traveling for vacation. Many people drive, some people fly, take a train, take a bus, get on a cruise ship, ride a bicycle, ...etc...

You and your wife have your real world. I have my real world and they're different. Same applies to everyone.

My wife drives about a hundred miles a day in the M Y. She has averaged the same 223 wh/mile for over 1100 miles. But she keeps at the speed limit and her route doesn't use interstate highways.

I believe the real world many are claiming is that their real world is 85 to 90 mph. Then they make the case that Tesla inflates their range numbers. This is false! Tesla quotes EPA range which uses a complex way of determining range and none of that is at 90 mph. What is real world? For my wife it is 223wh/mile and that comes out to 325,miles range on a full battery. She generally recharges at home after 2 trips plus some local driving or when she is at 60-100 miles remaining.

I drive the M S LR+ and I average 245wh/mile and recharge when I get to 50miles remaining. That's about 12% remaining.

WE find those claiming Tesla doesn't have real world range claims are driving inefficiently mostly speeding according and modifications to the car's aerodynamic design based on admissions on You Tube.

Nothing has changed with respect to basic physics and vehicle dynamics:
- Air drag increases exponentially with speed. Going faster causes increasing larger impacts to range.
- Road resistance is mostly static and doesn't change with speed. Go faster with little to no impact.
- We live in a world that has a climate where wind (air drag) can help or hinder. The wind is changing all the time.
- I think gassers are optimized for 60 mph. No manufacturer is going to claim going 80 mph will give you better economy vs 60 mph.

Here is another video claiming substantial hit in range driving at the 70+ mph. Skip to the 13 minute mark. Tesla Model Y Extensive Review After 20,000 Miles

Reactions: rxlawdude
All I wish Tesla would do is give EPA claimed range and range while going a steady 75mph. My efficiency of 300wh/mi means 250 miles and not ~320. I get that, I’m ok with that. However, most new buyers don’t know about this. Tesla knows exactly how much energy they need at different speeds, it wouldn’t be hard to post and would be incredibly honest.

Reactions: Tha_Ape
All I wish Tesla would do is give EPA claimed range and range while going a steady 75mph. My efficiency of 300wh/mi means 250 miles and not ~320. I get that, I’m ok with that. However, most new buyers don’t know about this. Tesla knows exactly how much energy they need at different speeds, it wouldn’t be hard to post and would be incredibly honest.
The EPA really needs to focus on creating an efficiency test for EV’s. Maybe now that they are not so focused on deregulating everything and going backwards 40 years, they could do that…?

Reactions: AlexHung