Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model Y-LR in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reactions: Stuart2023
@aliciar who picked his LR last week did a post in the main forum. Australian Model Y Waiting Room
re: battery, I reckon it will be the same as MYP which I think has NCA.
it def wont be LFP. Mainly because the max C rating of LFP cells can't sustain constant output for two motors. As far as sales rep at Tesla tells us, LR and P still have the same 2170 NCA cells. only RWD is LFP cells. that checks with the model 3's too. In my case I didnt order for the longer range, I wanted the AWD and im happy to charge to 80% and have same/less range than RWD's for daily city drive.

Reactions: iNcHeS and Quickst
In my case I didnt order for the longer range, I wanted the AWD and im happy to charge to 80% and have same/less range than RWD's for daily city drive.
I agree, it makes little difference only charging to 80% for 'daily city drives'. And if you're doing a road trip, there's no issue charging to 100% for the extra range.

you could be right. I actually dont know for sure if it's NMC or NCA, I've only been told by the rep they're def 2170 cells and definitely not the 4680 structural packs like they have in the US - which I was kinda hoping for, but no luck.

you could be right. I actually dont know for sure if it's NMC or NCA, I've only been told by the rep they're def 2170 cells and definitely not the 4680 structural packs like they have in the US - which I was kinda hoping for, but no luck.
Given that CATL has just started producing their new M3P phosphate-based battery which offers greater density, I'd be curious to see if Tesla start using those batteries in the MY and M3 LR and P within the next 12 months, in lieu of the NCA batteries.

I've only been told by the rep they're def 2170 cells and definitely not the 4680 structural packs like they have in the US - which I was kinda hoping for, but no luck.
I wouldn't be too upset, the 4680 has been a big disappointment so far. Based on calculations from EPA filings the 4680 looks to have 13% less energy density than the older 2170 packs. It's barely got more capacity than the LFP packs, and yet it can't be charged to more than 90% regularly (unlike LFP).

I believe the Aus 3/Y LR and P models are using the LG Chem 2170 NMCA cells, started using them about 18mths ago, that’s what I’m hoping for anyway.