Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model Y Standard Range AWD to be priced at $59,990 USD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sick off all these Hyundai and KIA dealerships here in S. Cal wanting to charge me anywhere from $4,000 - $15,000 worth of add-ons and markups for the Ioniq 5 and EV6. I already have a MY LR ordered, with EDD of between Oct. - Jan 2023. If once the hype dies down a bit for the Ioniq 5 and the EV6, and I can find one at MSRP before my LR MY arrives, I'll release the VIN, and get one of the Korean cars instead.

I don't see that happening.. because both Hyundai and Kia dealers are marking up around $2K to $3K on average for all cars on the lots. It's not getting any better because dealers have told me that inventory was supposed to improved a year plus ago... and here we are.

I've been test driving 3-row SUVs and I can tell you Tellurides are most definitely marked up $15K on the lot. Palisades $3K to $6K easily.

Your best bet is to order from out of state - Peak Kia, Aropahea Kia, Danbury Hyundia, Kia of Muncie, Jake Sweeney, etc.. have low markups and have it shipped ($1K to $2K).

I don't see that happening.. because both Hyundai and Kia dealers are marking up around $2K to $3K on average for all cars on the lots. It's not getting any better because dealers have told me that inventory was supposed to improved a year plus ago... and here we are.

I've been test driving 3-row SUVs and I can tell you Tellurides are most definitely marked up $15K on the lot. Palisades $3K to $6K easily.

Your best bet is to order from out of state - Peak Kia, Aropahea Kia, Danbury Hyundia, Kia of Muncie, Jake Sweeney, etc.. have low markups and have it shipped ($1K to $2K).
There's no way to place an order for KIA or Hyundai EVs. I've tried. There's no order page. You can build your specs, and then contact the dealers. The dealers will tell you that there is no avenue for ordering, and that the companies will just ship out EVs to them. Thanks for the suggestions, though.

$56k MSRP Ioniq5 is the AWD version. NO point comparing to their single motor version if we are trying to compare with the AWD standard Y.

$58 MSRP EV6 is also their AWD version.

Of course they qualify for the $7500 tax credit but guess what, most dealer markup will take most of that away. So really, you're looking at 56k vs 58k vs 60k. Tesla priced this variant just right. Its all about business to them, supply and demand!

If u can find a EV6 or a ioniq5 without markup, and you have a spare ICE to go road tripping. It will be very hard to pull the trigger on a Y. But again, I willl just go buy a used leaf or bolt or any good gas milages car and commute with it. Im not giving these legacy my money for their soon to be outdated EV just to commute around town! my 2 cents.

It fair to compare the Ioniq single-motor version to the MY standard AWD because Tesla doesn't offer a RWD MY. So if you don't care about AWD you have a significant cost incentive towards Hyundai.

Average Tesla requires 28kWh for 100 miles🤔 X .35 $9.80.. Used Prius almost 3 Gal. At $5 gallon, same 100 miles=$15

Giving a generous $5 difference in savings every 100 miles; How many miles will it take to make up the cost difference between a new MY and a 5 year old Prius? 😳😲

You need to stop supplying false information about SCE's electric rates. The non-peak rate available with TOU-D Prime is $0.22 per KWH.

To the best of my knowledge, no one has posted that a Tesla can be cost justified by the difference in fuel and maintenance costs alone when compared to one of the most fuel efficient cars. But at .22 per KWH, the EPA site says that an MY AWD will save over $10,000 in fuel costs alone over 5 years when compared with the mythical average car that gets 27mpg. at the current Costco gas price of $5.35 per gallon.

Finally, you can't use your 5 year old Prius in a fair cost comparison. If you look at the cost of a somewhat similar new Prius (lets say a Limited model) you are in the $34,000 price range not counting any dealer markup. But at the end of the day you are driving a Prius and not a Tesla. Since I also have a Prius, I can tell you that its Tesla is a much nicer car (and it should be at the price difference).

yeah... taking the top of the line LIMITED trim AWD (which starts at $54k btw) is a fair comparison. The SE / SEL trim with AWD both start under $50k. But let's play your game... a fully decked out ioniq5 with HUD and much nicer interior and quieter cabin/ ride is still a few $k cheaper ... and once you factor in the $7500 tax rebates you are looking at nearly $10k in savings over the Y
You need to stop supplying false information about SCE's electric rates. The non-peak rate available with TOU-D Prime is $0.22 per KWH.

To the best of my knowledge, no one has posted that a Tesla can be cost justified by the difference in fuel and maintenance costs alone when compared to one of the most fuel efficient cars. But at .22 per KWH, the EPA site says that an MY AWD will save over $10,000 in fuel costs alone over 5 years when compared with the mythical average car that gets 27mpg. at the current Costco gas price of $5.35 per gallon.

Finally, you can't use your 5 year old Prius in a fair cost comparison. If you look at the cost of a somewhat similar new Prius (lets say a Limited model) you are in the $34,000 price range not counting any dealer markup. But at the end of the day you are driving a Prius and not a Tesla. Since I also have a Prius, I can tell you that its Tesla is a much nicer car (and it should be at the price difference).
$10,000 over 5 years ? 🤦🏻‍♂️ Is that it? New AWD MY are in the $70K field.. Yikes 😬
How long will take to justify $💰 MY ?

One thing I’ve notice that most Tesla owners still holding on to their dependable/practical/ loyal ❤️Prius 😂🤣

I always got annoyed with these comparisons... When I originally looked at the Y, all the cars I was comparing to the Y were around the same ballpark in price. These comparisons with the prius and such remind me when I used to have a BMW M3, and people would tell me that I could throw a turbo in a civic, and have a faster car for cheaper. Besides, I've rented many priuses on business trips, and hated how they drove. Anyways, I needed a car regardless, so the initial cost wasn't a factor. I remember doing the math, and based on my home rate of 7 cents/kw, gas would need to be cheaper than $1.50/gallon or something like that to make the other cars I was considering cheaper.

$10,000 over 5 years ? 🤦🏻‍♂️ Is that it? New AWD MY are in the $70K field.. Yikes 😬
How long will take to justify $💰 MY ?

One thing I’ve notice that most Tesla owners still holding on to their dependable/practical/ loyal ❤️Prius 😂🤣

At the end of 5 years, you've saved $10k in fuel costs, and you still have a $40k vehicle. Teslas depreciate less than just about anything.

Reactions: house9 and goin2drt
I always got annoyed with these comparisons... When I originally looked at the Y, all the cars I was comparing to the Y were around the same ballpark in price. These comparisons with the prius and such remind me when I used to have a BMW M3, and people would tell me that I could throw a turbo in a civic, and have a faster car for cheaper. Besides, I've rented many priuses on business trips, and hated how they drove. Anyways, I needed a car regardless, so the initial cost wasn't a factor. I remember doing the math, and based on my home rate of 7 cents/kw, gas would need to be cheaper than $1.50/gallon or something like that to make the other cars I was considering cheaper.
Absolutely nothing wrong with a loaded Prius.. But kWh’s at under .10 C is a good enough reason to buy a Tesla if you can afford it; Insurance is not cheap, tires are expensive, and battery does deteriorate until it’s time to replace it $💰😳 inconveniences and wasted time waiting on the juice 😲😂🤣 but it’s a great status symbol 👍🏻

Absolutely nothing wrong with a loaded Prius.. But kWh’s at under .10 C is a good enough reason to buy a Tesla if you can afford it; Insurance is not cheap, tires are expensive, and battery does deteriorate until it’s time to replace it $💰😳 inconveniences and wasted time waiting on the juice 😲😂🤣 but it’s a great status symbol 👍🏻
What a load of bs about batteries and inconveniences and wasted time, status symbol.
By the time you need new battery you will need a new car.

Last edited:
The tires are the same price as all my other cars, except for maybe my Jeep, so it was a wash. Insurance wise, the Y is the same price as all my other cars. I think the Acura might even be more expensive. As far as battery costs goes... I had to replace the transmission in two of my Acuras 4 times before either of them got to 100k miles. So much for Honda reliability...

As far as waiting on the Juice... You should watch Bjorn's video where he did a 500 miles race between an ICE Porsche 911 and a Model 3. Both had similar max range ratings... The Tesla actually ended up beating the 911 in that race.

There's no way to place an order for KIA or Hyundai EVs. I've tried. There's no order page. You can build your specs, and then contact the dealers. The dealers will tell you that there is no avenue for ordering, and that the companies will just ship out EVs to them. Thanks for the suggestions, though.

Nope. That's not true at all. Contact the Hyundai and Kia dealers. Kia dealers use Kdealer + KFOS which controls allocations based on previous sales at the dealership. What is true is you can't build exactly every single feature like with Tesla + Ford + VW. Cars are "nearest matched" and allocated to dealers with orders.

Find a high volume dealer (this site tracks Tellurides) - Telluride Lookup - and ask an internet sales person to submit an order for you.

If you are in Florida... Friendly Kia and South Dade Kia will take orders for EV6s. Around $2-3K markup. I'm waiting until 2023 for a refresh so I haven't ordered.

Reactions: Investor9872
Nope. That's not true at all. Contact the Hyundai and Kia dealers. Kia dealers use Kdealer + KFOS which controls allocations based on previous sales at the dealership. What is true is you can't build exactly every single feature like with Tesla + Ford + VW. Cars are "nearest matched" and allocated to dealers with orders.

Find a high volume dealer (this site tracks Tellurides) - Telluride Lookup - and ask an internet sales person to submit an order for you.

If you are in Florida... Friendly Kia and South Dade Kia will take orders for EV6s. Around $2-3K markup. I'm waiting until 2023 for a refresh so I haven't ordered.
Has there been any news on what’s coming in the 2023 EV6 refresh?

I’m sure the same could be said about engines for ICE vehicles too lol. Got a source out of curiosity?

Also, why you so pessimistic to everyone about Tesla lol
Simply pointing out that expensive EV’s are not all that advantageous over nice Hybrids; Namely Prius.
Aside from going 0-60 in under 4 seconds or over 140 mph… (that doesn’t happen to often on the streets or freeways) and if it does there is a huge risk and cost.
Electricity kWh rates will continue to climb; Battery long range is tapping out, and prices close if not over $100K

Tell me about the new great game changer “4680” battery ? Had everyone going crazy; EPA was very generous test driving it like a 90 year old and only got 270-280 range. In the real world it will probably get 220-240 🤷🏻‍♂️ $60K ? No fed tax credit 😲😬

• Disagree
Reactions: Yelobird and mdsco
Simply pointing out that expensive EV’s are not all that advantageous over nice Hybrids; Namely Prius.
Aside from going 0-60 in under 4 seconds or over 140 mph… (that doesn’t happen to often on the streets or freeways) and if it does there is a huge risk and cost.
Electricity kWh rates will continue to climb; Battery long range is tapping out, and prices close if not over $100K

Tell me about the new great game changer “4680” battery ? Had everyone going crazy; EPA was very generous test driving it like a 90 year old and only got 270-280 range. In the real world it will probably get 220-240 🤷🏻‍♂️ $60K ? No fed tax credit 😲😬
Why did you get a MY out of curiosity?

I’m not sure what point you’re trying to make. Very few people are going to cross shop a model y and a Prius. Just different classes of car altogether. Most people are going to be looking at other luxury CUVs (I.e BMW X3, audi q4, etc), and some of those people will decide it makes more sense to get the MY.

Me personally, if my goal was to save money period, I just wouldn’t have bought a new car. But that wasn’t my goal - I felt it was time for a new car, and ended up going with a mode 3 performance since it had what I wanted in a car while still offering a decent fuel savings in comparison with ICE cars in its class.

Personally I do use the 0-60 < 4s quite frequently, and often will cruise around 100 mph during my commute.

Status
Not open for further replies.