Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model Y - winter tires and wheels in the GTA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did you get the R241/Alpin PA4 package? Any comments on look, drive feel?
I'm scheduled with them for install next Thursday.

The tires ride fine. We'll get a brief winter test of them this weekend if the snow comes. I did go with the package, but kept the base Tesla wheels on for winters and the R241s for the all-seasons. I'll let you know if there's anything remarkable that comes up.

Well, in the end I went with SpenceTires. I got what tires I wanted (last set in stock), they did a good job, nice rims for the summer.

Also to note, I heard Tesla will be putting out Winter Packages for the Y next week some point - I would assume they've got a stockpile sitting around given that virtually everywhere certain winter tires are backordered now (specifically Michelins, Nokian). No exact date given, but check daily if you can.

source?

Ugh. Like one option? Really? Surely they could have had some Michelin X-Ice or PA5 or something.

I don't think this is a core area of business for them - they're not trying to become the next Tire Rack and they're plenty busy without it. They do however want to have an option for people who need/want to only go to Tesla - lots of people only go to their dealer for things despite the cost. That plus the fact that factory wheels are always expensive from dealers means prices are high and choice is limited.

Ugh. Like one option? Really? Surely they could have had some Michelin X-Ice or PA5 or something.

Again, my gut tells me that the tire manufacturers are behind the 8 ball. I'm seeing later than usual times for tire availability just by looking at their websites. Some tire installers are also giving clues by providing time lines when they'll have alternate packages available. I've not seen the X-ICE Snows in the correct size thus far on the Michelin website and I'm seeing installs for those tires in January/February. Consider what alternatives you can live with or wait (although waiting isn't a great idea either). I got the Michelin Winter Pilot Alpin PA4s - at least something.

Yeah I guess they sold out. After a few winters I've finally learned to move early on this stuff!

So, I ended up going with WheelCo -- Wanted the Replika 241 Black, but they were sold out, so I was stuck with the TC05 Gunmetals, but it's better than striking out. Going with the PA4 since the Nokian and X-Ice are not available; just don't trust the Sottozero's to last.

I noticed Spence Tires are also low on their stock of the Sottozerro package lol -- people are buying up like crazy despite the warm November weather.

For the record, if you're getting OEM TPSM's, make sure you don't wait for Tesla to call. My TPSMs have been at Missisauga Tesla for a few days and no phone call -- I had to keep on top of them. Crazy.

So, I ended up going with WheelCo -- Wanted the Replika 241 Black, but they were sold out, so I was stuck with the TC05 Gunmetals, but it's better than striking out. Going with the PA4 since the Nokian and X-Ice are not available; just don't trust the Sottozero's to last.

I noticed Spence Tires are also low on their stock of the Sottozerro package lol -- people are buying up like crazy despite the warm November weather.

For the record, if you're getting OEM TPSM's, make sure you don't wait for Tesla to call. My TPSMs have been at Missisauga Tesla for a few days and no phone call -- I had to keep on top of them. Crazy.

This year seems to be in short supply, particularly for the MY. The early snow gave people the wake up call to get things setup. The TPMS I think (from what I've read) is proprietary and uses bluetooth. I was able to call Railside and pickup the same day. I suspect some people will be out of luck this year but odds are it'll improve for next.

• Helpful
Reactions: Doctormike87
First of all, a shout out to Spence Tire. They were super nice to deal with, knowledgeable and did good work. Got a Replika R243 package with X-ICE Snows for the Toyota and the R241/Alpin package for the Model Y.

I forgot to bring the Tesla center caps with me for the Model Y. I came back with the center caps and they popped the wheels off, changed the caps and put the wheels back on at no charge. I give them a 10 out of 10 for both sales and service.

Now a word about the Replika R241 / Michelin Alpin PA4 package. First of all, they look great. More importantly, the ride and handling are much better than the stock wheels and tires. They provide a softer and quieter ride and better handling IMHO.

Reactions: TrevTremaine
I forgot to bring the Tesla center caps with me for the Model Y. I came back with the center caps and they popped the wheels off, changed the caps and put the wheels back on at no charge. I give them a 10 out of 10 for both sales and service.

Are you using silver center caps with black or space gray R241s? I'm wondering how that looks and whether I should buy center caps separately. Anyone know if the R241s come with matching lug nuts and/or center caps? I ordered through AftermarketEV (FastCo), but they are shipping directly from Canada to California.

Any one using 18 inch Replika R241 as winter wheels on their long range Model Y ? Any issues? Does it clear brakes and the chasis?

I just got a call from my local tire shop, that they won't be able to install the 19 inch R241 with Haka 3's till about mid Jan. However, they can get me a 18 inch setup with Replika R241 and Haka 3's in next few days.

My googling shows some vendors will *not* install/sell 18 inch setup for Model Y (Long Range without Perf Package), while some will. For example, WheelsCo.com said 18 inch R241 wheels dont work with MY, where as JSpec has no issues installing the same setup.

Any feedback will be appreciated.

TIA

Reactions: crisren