Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla moments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had my 60D for less than 24 hours so far, yet have had several Tesla moments.

At the tinting place yesterday afternoon, everyone who found out I was "the tesla guy" was asking about it.

This morning, grabbed coffee at wawa on the way into work (who the hell wakes up at 3am and figures, eh, fsck it, I'll go into work) and as I was walking out one of the employees was walking through the parking lot to check on a sprinkler at the entrance. I was behind her approaching my car, she turned around and said "That is a gorgeous car!". Big 'ole grin on my face as I said "thanks!".

Today I'll be road tripping with the dog (stupid shedding!!!) from Philly to VA and hope to have some Tesla moments at superchargers along the way.

My aunt was in town last weekend, and she was pretty excited about my car (first thing she did when she saw me was pose next to my car and have me take a picture of her with it). After dinner, we needed to pick up some medicine for my grandpa, so we decided to make her test ride a trip to the Wal-Mart Pharmacy. I made her ill a few times with the acceleration (she doesn't do well with roller coasters...fortunately, she didn't puke).

When we got out of the car in the Wal-Mart parking lot, one of the stereotypical "People of Wal-Mart" was getting into her car in a handicapped spot. She looks at me, then at the car, then back at me, and asks "what is that car?"

Me: "A Tesla."
Her: "A FERRARI?!?"
Me: "No. A Tesla"
Her: "What's that?"
Me: "A new car company based in California. It's all electric!"
Her: "Wow...it sure is beautiful!"
Me: "THANKS!" *Tesla grin*

When we got inside the store, my aunt looks at me and asks "Does that happen often?" I said "only about 75% of the times I get out of the car in public..."

Last edited:
Somewhere in Gettysburg, PA, at a local farmstand, run by this family. The kid wearing glasses was all over me like a cheap suit -- knew everything about Tesla. The other kids were infected by him. :) Rides were given. Screams and helpless giggles ensued. :) The little kid with the t-shirt and croc-ish shoes turned out to be a heckuva driver.

IMG_2195.jpg

On my Key West to Charotte road trip this past weekend, I got many honks, waves, and thumbs up from other drivers. The best was a family in a nice SUV with a beaming smile while I'm sitting in the trunk eating an apple at the rest area. The guy walks up and tells me how much he loves and admires the S. He works in a town not far from my home and his office shares a parking lot. He states at black S all day. They even have a few Xes in his town (Salisbury, NC). His wife tried out a Leaf for a weekend and they just couldn't make it to work on it one-way, much less round trip. They are anxiously awaiting a Model ≡.

Meanwhile, my cousin, having never seen any electric car before (visiting the U.S.), was blown away and enamored by my S. She keeps telling me how amazing it the car is, how effortless it is, and she the planned stops to charge have not been any issue at all.

Reactions: bmah and LoL Rick
Alright boys and girls, time for my first "Extended Tesla Moment" (trademarking that, get your mitts off it!)

Wife and I took delivery August 11th, pulled out of the Service Center at about 10:40am that morning and left behind a very different life.

Most of that first day was lost due to the extended time it took doing full tint on the car, ah well, still a few fun local drives. Friday I got into work horribly early so I could leave by noon, having already put in a full day. I got home around 12:30pm and the wife immediately went to work Pip proofing the car (our dog is Pip, she likes to shed). We put down towels and blankets in the back, wife had to work that weekend so it was just me and the dog on the inaugural long distance trip.

As it was my very first time I played it safe and hit three superchargers. The first being Newark, DE for a short top-off.
image-20160812_125942.jpg
Was there with just one other Model S, occupants not around.
IMG_20160812_130433.jpg

Welp, that was easy, grabbed a coffee at the starbucks across the way and took off.

Ah yes....absolute *sugar* 95 South traffic. If you want to know hell on earth, drive 95 without being in a Tesla. Here's a shot of autopilot engaged, was doing a little reading of the manual (what??? manual?)

image-20160812_133916.jpg

Quick stop in Woodbridge, VA. This was a pain in the ass to get to, just because of garbage DC area traffic. Decent location at a little mall, nobody else was there while I was.

IMG_20160812_154718.jpg

And then last SC of the trip, the supercharger in Glen Allen, VA. Good location, made a note of this one for the trip back as a lunch spot (<3 Panera Bread, don't care if it's a chain).
IMG_20160812_185209.jpg

Spent lots of time with family, took a glamour shot at my Sister's house in Williamsburg, VA. This is the camera of the Nexus 6P Android phone, no filters or edits.
IMG_20160813_154514.jpg

Bah...Sunday already? Fortunately I had met up with a great member of TMC, "Linkster" and he showed me around the area and we had a lot of Tesla talk, great guy, will be going to the drive electric even in Virginia Beach, VA with him and his lovely wife on August 27th. So as I'm preparing the dog to leave I wrapped up the cord that "Linkster" had let me borrow to hook into my parents dryer outlet.
IMG_20160814_095912.jpg

On the first leg of the trip (was on my way to visit a friend in Glen Allen before hitting the supercharger there. Lots of traffic on 64west out of Williamsburg (of course, F that road!). "Pip" our Bullmation was enjoying her travelling suite I had set up. I also faked this second picture here (wasn't really browsing the forums on the road) and sent it to my wife, who promptly yelled at me and threatened me, she was worried about dogs safety.
image-20160814_104104.jpg
IMG_20160814_105520.jpg

Stopped at the Supercharger in Glen Allen, VA again on Sunday afternoon. Was low on people fuel and went into Panera Bread to get lunch, used the app to turn on climate control to keep the Pup nice and comfy. There were a few cars when I arrived and a white MS from Jersey was pulling in as I was walking to Panera, he had left when I took this below shot on the way back (also he was the only one who checked into PlugShare). You should all be using plugshare!
IMG_20160814_140902.jpg

Talked with the couple with the MS in the middle of the above shot as I was walking the dog around to let her use the potty. I believe his name was John, he and his wife were on a trip from Florida to Connecticut, we talked Tesla for a bit and he asked me how I was liking the car. Ok, the chat was over because it was ridiculously hot outside and we parted ways.

Time for the final leg. This trip was where I had my first really fun mobile "Tesla Moment". A white Acura I think it was was slowly passing in the left lane, there was a guy driving and woman sitting with him in the passenger side. She was very clearly staring at the car, I don't know if she saw me at first (window tint and all). I started waving to her with both hands (go autopilot) then she shifted her gaze and started grinning and waving back at me. It was the best feeling.

Obviously I've posted way too much, my last shot will be in a reply to this. Hope you Tesla faithful enjoyed the read and you folks waiting for your delivery have now killed a little bit more time :)

Hi, @Xenius,

Way to go!

Quick question: why check-in on plugshare when at a SuperCharger? (I ask sincerely.)

Thanks,
Alan

Hey @Pollux (in my eyes) if you check in at a supercharger with plugshare you can say how long you plan to be there, this will help others plan their stops accordingly. Plus if you check in and someone messages you that all spots are full and your car is done it could be very useful.

Not sure if you've used plugshare, but you can also tell others the Voltage and Max Amps with your checkin, just more useful information. Information is king!

Hey @Pollux (in my eyes) if you check in at a supercharger with plugshare you can say how long you plan to be there, this will help others plan their stops accordingly. Plus if you check in and someone messages you that all spots are full and your car is done it could be very useful.

Not sure if you've used plugshare, but you can also tell others the Voltage and Max Amps with your checkin, just more useful information. Information is king!

Well... I'm a little embarrassed to say so... I've only used plugshare as a consumer of its information, and only to find backup charging when I don't have enough Superchargers handy. Three years ago, when I first got my P85+, I was a regular user of evtripplanner.com, plugshare, and RVparking.com (but to be fair, I don't remember exactly when I stated using those tools and whether they were all fully available in August of 2013). There weren't nearly as many SCs then, and I did a lot of advance trip planning. Flash forward to today, and I mostly just buzz around using the car's knowledge of the SCs and the car's Nav system to plan the trip. I still make occasional use of evtripplaner and RVparking -- as recently as last weekend, although that was the first time in months.

It never occurred to me that I could use plugshare as a way to let other people know how to find me if I overstay my welcome at an SC. I'll look at it again.

Thanks for these ideas!

Alan

One thing -- the 3 Tesla's together at the SpC, if you arrived 2nd, you're not getting the full juice out of it. The stalls are paired (1A to 1B, 2A to 2B, etc.), and each pair shares the power. The first person to get there, gets all the power they need, the 2nd person gets sloppy seconds.

In the long run, it's not a huge time difference, but if there's an option to not share a charger, then you should take it.

One thing -- the 3 Tesla's together at the SpC, if you arrived 2nd, you're not getting the full juice out of it. The stalls are paired (1A to 1B, 2A to 2B, etc.), and each pair shares the power. The first person to get there, gets all the power they need, the 2nd person gets sloppy seconds.

In the long run, it's not a huge time difference, but if there's an option to not share a charger, then you should take it.

Yup, totally aware, the car in the middle arrived third. I forgot to tell them about the pairing, the husband was happy to talk and the wife wanted to get going.

Edit to @Max*

Reactions: Max*

I've only been to two superchargers thus far, but both of those were paired with the As to one side and the Bs to the other. So the order was:
1A 2A 3A 4A 1B 2B 3B 4B

Great story. I hope to get more than a day trip in one of these days, but I'm slammed with work.

I've only been to two superchargers thus far, but both of those were paired with the As to one side and the Bs to the other. So the order was:
1A 2A 3A 4A 1B 2B 3B 4B
It varies per site, and it's always good to take a look before parking. It could be that way, or it could be 1A 1B 2A 2B, etc.

I don't know the reason they're labeled differently.