Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla moments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Followed this thread from the beginning for 3 years and finally have a couple of Tesla moments to share:

It replaced my wife's old car so she drives it mainly to work. She worked from home Wednesday so I got the keys to "Khalessi". She had to take our ICE around town for a bit and when I saw her that evening she goes:
Wife: "So how was it driving the Tesla today?"
Me: grin
Me: "How was it driving the Charger today?"
Wife: "Painful. I can't wait to be back behind the wheel of 'Khalessi'!"

And to think she only just started becoming a Tesla enthusiast in January, I'm so proud ;)

Moment 2:
With the car at work I had to show the girls at the office, who knew I had longed for this car for years, the new ride. Did the usual stuff, best moments were:

"let me show you the "engine" in this bad boy."
Pop frunk.
:eek::eek::eek::eek:
And
"Oh here let me pull it out of the parking space so you can get in"
Jaws drop.
One girl (drives Lexus SUV) said she can't quit thinking about how awesome my car is!:cool:

image.jpeg
Driving on autopilot 'rainbow road' on the way to Rainbow Forest in Petrified Forest Nationsl Park :)

Well, really they can be the same thing:
An engine is "a machine with moving parts that converts power into motion."
A motor is "a machine, especially one powered by electricity or internal combustion, that supplies motive power for a vehicle or for some other device with moving parts."

As an example, your BMV/DMV regulates _motor_ vehicles.
There's quite a large company called General Motors that makes a lot more gasoline-powered vehicles than electric vehicles.
In the UK, a car is colloquially referred to as a "motor".

However, it's now become _common usage_ to say combustion engine and electric motor.

Is there any situation where "engine" != "motor"? I'm really not sure based on the definitions you've supplied whether there's a particular creation of some kind that can properly be called one of those words but definitely not the other.

Thanks,
Alan

Is there any situation where "engine" != "motor"? I'm really not sure based on the definitions you've supplied whether there's a particular creation of some kind that can properly be called one of those words but definitely not the other.

Thanks,
Alan

Generally engines are always powered by fuel inside device (heat engines), while motors are powered by an outside power source. I think society just use the two interchangeably despite it not technically being correct.

For example, you've probably never heard of your clothes dryer or washer referred to as having an "engine", but they have motors that are, other than power, not too dissimilar from an EV. Meanwhile just about every vehicle out in the world is more commonly referred to as carrying an engine, like locomotive engines, jet engine on a plane, etc. as they're all exploding dino-juice to run. I imagine this may vary a lot more outside the US too and probably has changed a lot over the years.

• Informative
Reactions: Pollux
Generally engines are always powered by fuel inside device (heat engines), while motors are powered by an outside power source. I think society just use the two interchangeably despite it not technically being correct.

For example, you've probably never heard of your clothes dryer or washer referred to as having an "engine", but they have motors that are, other than power, not too dissimilar from an EV. Meanwhile just about every vehicle out in the world is more commonly referred to as carrying an engine, like locomotive engines, jet engine on a plane, etc. as they're all exploding dino-juice to run. I imagine this may vary a lot more outside the US too and probably has changed a lot over the years.

I like this definition of engine being powered by internal fuel (heat engines) and motors being powered by an outside source.

And I *love* engineboat, enginehome and enginecycle. :)

Make sure you give them your referral code :)
And if you list your description we'll try not to be too jealous.

It's an S60 with Autopilot, can't wait to get behind the wheel

Waiting for my first tesla moment when I pick it up tomorrow.

Also that first time someone I know in the parking garage at the work sees me and asks what it is or any other work moments as I am not advertising it.

Don't want the "you make that much to afford that car?!??" And "we pay you too much if you are driving that"

I definitely got (and still get) a lot of that. Half the time I explain that it's a lease that I put on my business so it's not that expensive, the other half I smile and nod :)

Reactions: Cnasty
That's why after a year, I still park in the far end of the garage. Only 2 people at work found out, and I asked them not to spread it.

I definitively understand that feeling of slight paranoia and not looking forward to being judged. The way I'm approaching this is by telling people exactly how much it's costing me on a monthly basis, which is ~$400 after gas and oil savings (and excluding any credits, rebates). And that's lower than many others at work spend on their leases and loans. I think of I take the path of complete transparency, it'll open up some eyes and hopefully will mitigate the silly, immature jealousy and judgement... hopefully...

Reactions: Max*
Today I had four hours of Tesla Moments while showing my car at Imagination Station’s 15th Annual Hands on Transportation presented by Standard Electric Supply Co.. A couple dozen groups of people came by to see and talk about the car during the show, and there are several very cute photos of little kids at the wheel of a 90D no-doubt floating around Facebook as we speak. People's attitudes were mostly very positive and there was a lot of genuine interest. Even though I made up a
FAQ and put in on a poster by my car, I still got hoarse from answering questions (often those right on the FAQ... :mad:). I think the price still makes it seem like more of a fantasy than a reality in a working-class area like this, though the prospect of the Model 3 is starting
to temper that a little. A few people commented on never having seen a Tesla in person before, so that was nice for them.

People's fascination with the frunk is really kinda weird. After a little while I just left it open and that attracted signifcantly more passers
by to stop and investigate. It's always fun to play with the little kids and say "Where's the engine? Must be in the back! Let's go see."
then open the trunk, feigning shock "Oh, no! Where is it? Someone took it! How'm I gonna get home now?!"

Best Tesla Moment comment of the day: "Of all of the vehicles I've seen here today, this is the only one I'd want to drive" (what? no
hankering to drive a recycling truck or a taco trunk? c'mon, live, man! ;))

Brief local TV news clip about event (no mention of Teslas :(): Hands on Transportation drives children’s imaginations

I definitively understand that feeling of slight paranoia and not looking forward to being judged. The way I'm approaching this is by telling people exactly how much it's costing me on a monthly basis, which is ~$400 after gas and oil savings (and excluding any credits, rebates). And that's lower than many others at work spend on their leases and loans. I think of I take the path of complete transparency, it'll open up some eyes and hopefully will mitigate the silly, immature jealousy and judgement... hopefully...
Is what you put down just not matter? Or your ~$400 a month all that matters? In almost all my leases I have either gotten a check or skipped my first payment. Did you factor in your downpayment over the payments?

Today I had four hours of Tesla Moments while showing my car at Imagination Station’s 15th Annual Hands on Transportation presented by Standard Electric Supply Co.. A couple dozen groups of people came by to see and talk about the car during the show, and there are several very cute photos of little kids at the wheel of a 90D no-doubt floating around Facebook as we speak. People's attitudes were mostly very positive and there was a lot of genuine interest. Even though I made up a
FAQ and put in on a poster by my car, I still got hoarse from answering questions (often those right on the FAQ... :mad:). I think the price still makes it seem like more of a fantasy than a reality in a working-class area like this, though the prospect of the Model 3 is starting
to temper that a little. A few people commented on never having seen a Tesla in person before, so that was nice for them.

People's fascination with the frunk is really kinda weird. After a little while I just left it open and that attracted signifcantly more passers
by to stop and investigate. It's always fun to play with the little kids and say "Where's the engine? Must be in the back! Let's go see."
then open the trunk, feigning shock "Oh, no! Where is it? Someone took it! How'm I gonna get home now?!"

Best Tesla Moment comment of the day: "Of all of the vehicles I've seen here today, this is the only one I'd want to drive" (what? no

Brief local TV news clip about event (no mention of Teslas :(): Hands on Transportation drives children’s imaginations

So glad you did this. (I know well how much energy it takes.) I'll bet you planted a lot of seeds that will bear fruit later. Thank you.

Alan

I bought a 1/8 scale Chevy V-8 model on Ebay and I keep that in the frunk. I've only shown it to a couple of people thus far and all knew Teslas don't have engines. I'm waiting to punk someone who is ignorant about Tesla. I can now safely say every car I've owned has had a GM small block V-8 in it. :)

I finally introduced a friend to Tesla today. She lives in Seattle and is an odd bird. She's very technophobic (she has trouble figuring out MacOS and iOS), but she's been fascinated with Teslas since she first heard about them. She's never had a chance to be in one until today when we ran a number of errands with the S.

My SO called a mutual friend using the bluetooth so we could all talk to her in the car, which was amazing enough (our friend's current car is an old Chrysler mini-van on its last legs). She had also never seen a navigation system before. She was amazed when I typed in an address and the system calculated a route.

I blew her mind when I turned on autopilot on the freeway and took my hands off the wheel. After the autopilot demonstration she realized I hadn't taken the key out of my pocket or did anything obvious to start the car. When we explained you start the car by pressing the brake pedal she was further blown away.

A little later we were talking about phoning in a food order to pick up on the way home from a place our friend had never been before. My SO said our friend didn't know what the menu was, so I just pulled over, called up the menu on the browser and invited her to peruse.

She loved the car, but was too intimidated by the tech to drive it.