Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla moments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Funny how that works. My wife used to tell everybody how great her Prius was, especially after we converted it to a plugin.

But now she makes fun of them, and when I recently discussed replacing my Tesla (not hers! There is no way that is happening) with another EV, she objected and said "I think we are Tesla people now." So we have another Tesla on the way...

Very curious: what non-Tesla EV do you think well enough of to consider as an alternative to a Tesla?

Thanks,
Alan

that first time someone I know in the parking garage at the work sees me and asks what it is or any other work moments as I am not advertising it

Which is precisely why I commute to work in a Smart ED. It makes for easy conversations regarding electric cars, but does not stay into price/affordability (except to say it's the cheapest way to commute outside of bicycle/bus).

I've only told a small set of people at work, as they all know about Tesla (cause I can't shut up about it), and two have already put down reservations, and another leased an EV while waiting for the 3.

Reactions: 808?
Very curious: what non-Tesla EV do you think well enough of to consider as an alternative to a Tesla?

As our primary car, which we often use for road trips, nothing is a serious alternative. My wife is keeping her S85.

However, the secondary car that I drive doesn't need to do nearly as much. While nothing is as much fun as a Tesla, until not so long ago any EV would have suited my needs, and been considerably cheaper to own. Before the S was available, we had a ~90-mile RAV4 for about 4 years - it was a great car for us for everything but road trips. Plus I'd prefer a much smaller car than the S, so I am happy to look at other EVs. (Practically speaking I should consider PHEVs too; but after not buying gas since 2009, I can't see myself going back).

However, for various reasons (a weekly 100-mile trip, my wife not wanting to swap cars weekly with me if I have a short-range EV, me wanting to support Tesla, etc) we ended up deciding that another Tesla makes more sense. Well, no - it doesn't necessarily make more sense. But it's what we're going to do.

I suppose this part qualifies as a Tesla Moment: a stripped S60 would perfectly suit my needs for the second car, and is the obvious frugal choice (well, as frugal as buying any Tesla gets). I started looking at inventory cars for an S60 stripper; and I really think I could have been content if I had found one. However, most inventory cars are pretty loaded and not that cheap. Plus, if I get a stripped 90D, then it could be our new road trip vehicle, and when our Model 3 arrives we could replace my wife's car instead of mine. And it would have AWD (a concern for those of us in the Cascade foothills; my wife got stuck in her S85 once trying to get up the hill even with winter tires) and be considerably quicker (a concern for those of us that have to sell a Roadster). So I looked for stripped 90Ds...but discovered a pre-facelift loaded P90DL that was cheaper to lease than any inventory 90D. In fact it was cheaper than some of the loaded 60's.

So, I started looking for a stripped S60 but ended up with a loaded P90DL. Tesla has a way of doing that to you.

Last edited:
So true!

I'm at month 36 on my 2013 P85+, purchased with the buyback-guarantee loan. By November 30, I want to have this car sold (either back to Tesla or privately, I've kept it pretty clean!) and be into the latest car. Every time I think about configuring a 75 or a 60, the logic chain that takes over goes like this:

best range for the money is an S90

gotta have AWD, even now that I live in MD rather than MA, because I have children and a wife and it would be wrong to take the greater risk of losing traction or control with RWD. Also for this reason I will need a new set of Nokiian Hakkapolittas.

gotta have P, because otherwise highway merges and other traffic situations become riskier without the ability to choose exactly where to be able to put my car and when

gotta have Ludicrous (or whatever is current) because I'm 52

all the other options are "in the noise" financially, so best to get them so car is more desirable for future resale

except I'll pass on the rear-facing jump seats, since my kids are past the point that they'll fit, thus eliminating unnecessary weight, improving energy efficiency, driving greenhouse gas emissions down still further, AND being frugal (bonus points will accrue when I explain all this to the wife*)

So Max Performance + Max Options - Wildly Expensive, GHG-Emitting Jump Seats == Highly Logical Configuration

The big problem is waiting around for whatever the heck Elon is going to drop on us this fall... September? October? Who the heck knows with this company...! :) :)

Alan

*She's been busting hump for many years now to put a price on carbon.

As our primary car, which we often use for road trips, nothing is a serious alternative. My wife is keeping her S85.

However, the secondary car that I drive doesn't need to do nearly as much. While nothing is as much fun as a Tesla, until not so long ago any EV would have suited my needs, and been considerably cheaper to own. Before the S was available, we had a ~90-mile RAV4 for about 4 years - it was a great car for us for everything but road trips. Plus I'd prefer a much smaller car than the S, so I am happy to look at other EVs. (Practically speaking I should consider PHEVs too; but after not buying gas since 2009, I can't see myself going back).

However, for various reasons (a weekly 100-mile trip, my wife not wanting to swap cars weekly with me if I have a short-range EV, me wanting to support Tesla, etc) we ended up deciding that another Tesla makes more sense. Well, no - it doesn't necessarily make more sense. But it's what we're going to do.

I suppose this part qualifies as a Tesla Moment: a stripped S60 would perfectly suit my needs for the second car, and is the obvious frugal choice (well, as frugal as buying any Tesla gets). I started looking at inventory cars for an S60 stripper; and I really think I could have been content if I had found one. However, most inventory cars are pretty loaded and not that cheap. Plus, if I get a stripped 90D, then it could be our new road trip vehicle, and when our Model 3 arrives we could replace my wife's car instead of mine. And it would have AWD (a concern for those of us in the Cascade foothills; my wife got stuck in her S85 once trying to get up the hill even with winter tires) and be considerably quicker (a concern for those of us that have to sell a Roadster). So I looked for stripped 90Ds...but discovered a pre-facelift loaded P90DL that was cheaper to lease than any inventory 90D. In fact it was cheaper than some of the loaded 60's.

So, I started looking for a stripped S60 but ended up with a loaded P90DL. Tesla has a way of doing that to you.

I'm kinda having a Tesla moment right now. The internet at the house died Sat evening and we have to either go to my SO's office to use the wifi there or use our cell phones which only get one bar up here in the hills. It dawned on me about an hour ago that I do have a device with cellular internet with a larger screen than the phone: the car! So I'm reading the forum in my Tesla out of necesity. At the moment the car is the world's most expensive iPad!

Though the screen flashes a lot when loading screens and typing is a pain. I wish they still allowed you to plug in a keyboard into the car.

So true!

I'm at month 36 on my 2013 P85+, purchased with the buyback-guarantee loan. By November 30, I want to have this car sold (either back to Tesla or privately, I've kept it pretty clean!) and be into the latest car. Every time I think about configuring a 75 or a 60, the logic chain that takes over goes like this:

best range for the money is an S90

gotta have AWD, even now that I live in MD rather than MA, because I have children and a wife and it would be wrong to take the greater risk of losing traction or control with RWD. Also for this reason I will need a new set of Nokiian Hakkapolittas.

gotta have P, because otherwise highway merges and other traffic situations become riskier without the ability to choose exactly where to be able to put my car and when

gotta have Ludicrous (or whatever is current) because I'm 52

all the other options are "in the noise" financially, so best to get them so car is more desirable for future resale

except I'll pass on the rear-facing jump seats, since my kids are past the point that they'll fit, thus eliminating unnecessary weight, improving energy efficiency, driving greenhouse gas emissions down still further, AND being frugal (bonus points will accrue when I explain all this to the wife*)

So Max Performance + Max Options - Wildly Expensive, GHG-Emitting Jump Seats == Highly Logical Configuration

The big problem is waiting around for whatever the heck Elon is going to drop on us this fall... September? October? Who the heck knows with this company...! :) :)

Alan

*She's been busting hump for many years now to put a price on carbon.
That's the Tesla problem. The "gotta haves" just keep piling up!

Reactions: Old Wyseguy
I'm kinda having a Tesla moment right now. The internet at the house died Sat evening and we have to either go to my SO's office to use the wifi there or use our cell phones which only get one bar up here in the hills. It dawned on me about an hour ago that I do have a device with cellular internet with a larger screen than the phone: the car! So I'm reading the forum in my Tesla out of necesity. At the moment the car is the world's most expensive iPad!

Though the screen flashes a lot when loading screens and typing is a pain. I wish they still allowed you to plug in a keyboard into the car.
Yes! A keyboard plug-in would be great. Or even better program "Swipe" into the keyboard

Reactions: Btrflyl8e
Waiting for my first tesla moment when I pick it up tomorrow.

Also that first time someone I know in the parking garage at the work sees me and asks what it is or any other work moments as I am not advertising it.

Don't want the "you make that much to afford that car?!??" And "we pay you too much if you are driving that"
That's why after a year, I still park in the far end of the garage. Only 2 people at work found out, and I asked them not to spread it.

"Still allowed"? Do you mean to say that at some time in the past 4 years one could plug a keyboard into the USB ports in the Model S and use it to, for example, enter URLs into the browser? I didn't know that.l

So sad :(
Losing a rare green color car to the allure of the DL :rolleyes:

I recall when buying the car how my wife emphasized that it was "whatever I want". When picking the color, I picked red... because I remembered a conversation a long time before that about how she would have enjoyed a red sports car. Not even five minutes later, she says she can't take it any more and changes the color to that dark green. :) I was a bit concerned, as I tend to prefer blues and blacks, but I have come to appreciate that dark green. I heard it turned out to be about 3% of the color mix, which is why it was axed, so clearly it's not a popular choice. But I think it looks great... and appreciate your vote of support!

Thanks,
Alan

P.S. I'm far more relaxed about choosing a color for the new DL or whatever it is I get, as I am certain I will not actually be burdened with a meaningful choice. :)

"Still allowed"? Do you mean to say that at some time in the past 4 years one could plug a keyboard into the USB ports in the Model S and use it to, for example, enter URLs into the browser? I didn't know that.l

Yes, it hasn't worked for a long time now, but once upon a time you could plug in a keyboard and type with it. You can still plug in a mouse and use it as a substitute for manipulating the touchscreen directly. It's not a great experience (the cursor is kind of hard to spot, and of course the whole UI is built around touch interactions) but it works, and can be a nice way to let back seat passengers fiddle with stuff.