Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla moments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just had a fun one without even being in the car. Our dishwasher was acting up so I had a tech out today to see what's what - we got talking about how wonderful technology is until it fails. I said "And driving the most technologically advanced car out there today, I am glad it doesn't fail often" and he said "Ohhhhhh... do you have a Tesla?". 15 minutes later, we finally shut up about the amazing cars and I paid the bill and he left.

So you got off easy?

I once had a plumber who was a great plumber and independent so his prices were reasonable, but man, if you got him talking about politics, he's spend 2x more time at your place talking instead of working (but not charging for "talk time").. he was so nice though, it was really hard to "break away".. he acted like you were his best friend. I don't know how he got more than two jobs done per day.

Thanks for posting the link. I just registered for an upcoming event - National Drive Electric Week Event - Wayne

I volunteered for the upcoming LA (Santa Monica) National Driver Electric Week Event and was told, "thank you very much but we already have too many Teslas." So I asked what type of cars were they looking for and she said " well if Jaden Smith would come by in his Tesla X, we'd certainly welcome him. Also, we heard Jay Leno has a special electric motorcycle and we'd love to have him too"
LMAO...LA is so spoiled but cool. :cool:

I once had a plumber who was a great plumber and independent so his prices were reasonable, but man, if you got him talking about politics, he's spend 2x more time at your place talking instead of working (but not charging for "talk time").. he was so nice though, it was really hard to "break away".. he acted like you were his best friend. I don't know how he got more than two jobs done per day.
I'm pretty sure he moved to FL and now does landscaping...

We drove out to brunch. Found a tight space right in front of the restaurant. Her first words, "you'll never squeeze this monster into that space". My parking P popped up, I hit the button, and it squeezed in automatically. My wife FINALLY HAD THE GRIN!!! She went on and on how amazing that was.

Sigh... haven't looked at this thread in a while... far too late to make a "that's what she said" joke...

It was a pretty cool experience and I had fun playing Tesla evangelist.

I think you'll find the correct term is 'Teslavangelist'... :)

I had one yesterday. I went to the Dr's office and he generally likes to chat a bunch. After our usual visit I told him we should go outside and see my new toy. He asked if I got a Tesla. I said yes. He then proceeded to tell me what color it was, what the interior color was and what type it was etc etc. There was no need to go outside as he and his staff had already scoped it out while I was inside waiting for my appointment. :)

I was sharing the elevator at work with 3 employees from other departments. I knew just one of them. As we stepped out on our floor, one gentleman i didn't know turned around and said, "does it really drive itself?".

Of course i had to explain how AP really works, and we had a nice chat. He was clearly in love with my car. I asked if he had ever seen my first one, and before I finished the question he was nodding and admitted he used to drive over to where I used to park just to stare at it!

A few minutes later, when I got to my office, I realized I should offered a test ride, so I asked the woman I did know who had been in the elevator with us his name, and I sent him an instant message with the offer. 10 minutes later we're back in the elevator heading down for a ride, the woman from the elevator included!

After I got back to my office I realized I didn't show them Summon! So I IMd him that next time I'd show him that, and he said his head would have exploded if I'd remembered to do it that morning.

Showed off my 2015 Model S 85D to a fellow EV enthusiast attending the Drive EV Week event who drove up in a 2012 Karma hybrid. We both eyed each other's cars and peeked inside. He asked about the Tesla's range, the price and learned about the supercharger network. Showed him the trunk and frunk both lined with high end protective mats the mrs gave me as a gift. I mentioned a roadster we looked at the day before, remarking how like the i8 i sat in last January that it was so low and such a tight fit to climb in and out of that i would's not have enjoyed driving that. He asked to sit inside the Model S to compare the spacious interior and agreed a sedan is much easier to get into and out of than either of those cars. I gave him a big tesla grin and thanked him for sharing his ev experiences with me and the wife.

Had a nice moment today as another Model S driver and I passed by and both waved to each other. :cool:

It was a very nice, heartwarming moment. I don't know if that's a thing yet, but if not, we should start it.
A thing yet? Only for about 4 years now (except in California where you'd never stop waving).
The advanced version of the wave is the Tesa Nod. Google it for the You Tube video.

A thing yet? Only for about 4 years now (except in California where you'd never stop waving).
The advanced version of the wave is the Tesa Nod. Google it for the You Tube video.
As has been discussed previously, the Tesla-meeting-Tesla reaction intensity is inversely proportional to the density of Teslas in the
local area. In Palo Alto it is obligatory to yawn when seeing another Tesla. In techno-backwaters like here you come to a screeching
halt, get out of your car, and do a chicken dance upon seeing another Tesla. I saw a white MX in West Lafayette today (probably
belonged to a Purdue student); the police let me off with a warning after I promised not to do that on a busy street again ;)

Don't forget the Autopilot version of the nod!
jesus.png

My wife and I went to a Drive Electric Week event on Sunday, a few hours from home. We decided to stay at a Bed and Breakfast not too far away the night before and I did a quick search and booking on Expedia.

As it turned out, the Tesla moment (or moments) wouldn't be at the Drive Electric event. Oh we attended alright, but the B&B was far more interesting and rewarding! Our host was a retired NASCAR driver... definitely a gear-head, doing meticulous restorations of classic muscle cars in his spare time. As you'd expect, the engines were - of course - works of art in themselves. A very personable guy and we had several good conversations. The details got more interesting. He wasn't just a retired NASCAR driver, but was actually as much a unicorn in the wild as a black KKK grand wizard... turns out his sexual orientation is not compatible with NASCAR... and when the rumours of his sexuality started, he was very quickly fired from the racing team (a well-known NASCAR name...) because they "didn't want his kind around the track". What a shocker.... the NASCAR demographic isn't big on tolerance... and gay NASCAR drivers are therefore as rare as unicorns - at least the employed ones are. Not good.

So, OF COURSE we went for a drive! I put him in the driver's seat... and told him to drive it like he stole it (Talladega Nights reference - gotta love Will Ferrell!). He did - respectfully - and came down with a really bad case of the Tesla Grins... he's now hooked! I don't want to think what a P would have done to him...

We did some talking about solar panels as well. He's very interested in adding those to his property. He doesn't realize it yet, but our stay is going to cost him some serious dollars! LOL!

One interesting observation... the car gave several warning beeps before I figured out why... he was two-foot driving and the car didn't like that much. I guess that's how they do it on the banked ovals....

One interesting observation... the car gave several warning beeps before I figured out why... he was two-foot driving and the car didn't like that much. I guess that's how they do it on the banked ovals....

I think Tesla ramped up the sensitivity on that setting because I've been getting more of them recently. Usually happens at traffic lights when my right foot gets tired and drifts down, none on banked ovals yet :)

In the US I do not recall my last Tesla moment. However, in Rio de Janeiro it is another story. Two days ago I was at a funeral, which among people of a 'certain age', is one of the rare times one sees childhood and early adult friends. One of my nephews, a gearhead, began telling people who knew me that I had a Tesla. It transpired that four have reservations in for Model 3.

A further few, I did not count, after asking how it worked out to leave the car in Miami while I am home, then said they would buy one for their place in Miami (Maybe a third of my acquaintances have condos in Miami). I talked about my ICE woes with my BMW in Rio, that had to have a fuel pump replaced at 8,00 km after it sat undriven here for five months. Everyone nodded and mentioned their own woes. When the found out about Remote S and the ability to turn the car on and off from Rio they were astounded, even more so when I mentioned that Tesla says no problem with months unused, just leave it plugged it. My referral code has been smokin' today!

I wonder how many people maintain dual residences with multiple vehicles in multiple countries? Seems like a big marketing advantage for Tesla. Brazilians allegedly accounted for 40% of condo sales in Miami-Dade in 2014. Somehow the Europeans, South Americans and Asians together could sell lots of second Teslae.

Anyway that was my least expected Tesla moment, more so because of the inappropriate venue. The deceased man's brother is one who placed an order.

This might get long and wordy, but bear with me. Last fall I went to my local Dodge dealer with the Hellcat bug and wanted to buy one but refused to pay their stupid "limited production" premium of $15,000. so I passed. Needless to say, I bought an S 90 D and today I stopped by the dealer. They were willing to drop the premium price off the Hellcat, and started to point out just how grand it is, and I have to agree is would be a fun ride. The old salesman asked how fast the Tesla was and I told him it's computer limited to 155MPH. He said the Dodge was faster. I just asked where in hell would I drive any faster? I looked over the Hellcat and commented about just how low it sits and how do you negotiate driveways around here? He said, very carefully. I told him with the Tesla I simply adjust the height and that it will remember that driveway the next time I am there. I asked about the sound system, and got, "Oh, it's got a great sound system" so I found some music on Serius 2 or 3 and blew him away. Of course he asked about charging and I said "IF the Tesla required fuel, it would require premium as it performs as one so that would be about $50.00 a fill up, but I get FREE charging for life when I'm on the road!" I could have gone on and on, but let it go at that . . .