Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla moments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK, I confess, I'm one of the hamster people... I got the idea a couple of years ago from someone else -- can't remember who! -- I think here on TMC or maybe on teslamotors.com.

Here's a photo from April, 2014:

IMG_5604.jpg

and likelier than not led to this:

IMG_5626.jpg

which is the ONLY thing I've EVER won related to automobiles... or pretty much anything, really....

Enjoyed a moment at a Living Legend Luncheon today where my 100 year old uncle was among the honorees. With a table full of relatives, Tesla and the recent accidents came up.

Relative - "Are you still using Autopilot?"
Me - "Yep, everyday"
All - Gasp :eek:

Fortunately, one of my trucker cousins with almost 30 years of experience and an impeccable driving record was at the table. She explained that much of Tesla's AP technology has existed in the big rigs for some time. She shared how invaluable the technology is in bumper to bumper traffic. She sets the distance to the minimum and never has to worry about cars darting in and out. She said that it makes for safer and stress-free trips. She underscored the importance of keeping hands on the steering wheel and being prepared to take over at anytime. She also said that she believes the technology will come to all vehicles eventually and will save lives.

I love my cousin. (Elon needs her on the payroll.) :D

Once that was cleared up, I was then able to "wow" everyone about other features-- Summoning, Cabin Overheat Protection, etc. However, I think they were sold on stress-free driving.

I expect my experiences so far are fairly typical:

1. driving back from the Birmingham (UK) showroom with my new S60D on Tuesday, I was waiting for a BMW 5 Series to pass me in the outside lane of the motorway so I could overtake a lorry, but it was hanging just off my rear driver-side. Looking back over my shoulder, the BMW driver was taking pictures or filming my Tesla on his phone.
  2. I've only been a 'nodding acquaintance' with most of my neighbours since moving house around a year ago. I've had chats with 4 new people in the last 3 days, and taken a couple of them for a spin :D

driving back from the Birmingham (UK) showroom with my new S60D on Tuesday, I was waiting for a BMW 5 Series to pass me in the outside lane of the motorway so I could overtake a lorry, but it was hanging just off my rear driver-side. Looking back over my shoulder, the BMW driver was taking pictures or filming my Tesla on his phone.
You just got your car so you're forgiven for not being comfortable with out-accelerating the BMW :)
Also +1 for motorway and lorry. Sometimes I think that by saying it differently in the US we got it wrong ;)

You just got your car so you're forgiven for not being comfortable with out-accelerating the BMW :)
Also +1 for motorway and lorry. Sometimes I think that by saying it differently in the US we got it wrong ;)
That raises an interesting question: @NullException, in the UK do you call what we call the "frunk" the "froot" ("front boot")?

You just got your car so you're forgiven for not being comfortable with out-accelerating the BMW

Yeah - still very much getting used to the car at that point, plus I had no idea why the beamer was sitting back until I looked over my shoulder.

Also +1 for motorway and lorry. Sometimes I think that by saying it differently in the US we got it wrong

Funny how a couple of words can highlight cultural differences so easily. Actually, I think the M5 would be better described as "highway maintenance practice zone" or maybe "national traffic cone storage facility". It seems to have been largely roadworks between Birmingham and Bristol for years.

That raises an interesting question: @NullException, in the UK do you call what we call the "frunk" the "froot" ("front boot")?
Our friends over there probably call it the "bonnet-hole"

Well, I can't speak for the rest of Britain, but I'm definitely using both of those from now on. :)

Here's an anticipated Tesla moment: My son's daycare is doing a "Trunk or Treat" where parents are asked to decorate the trunks of their cars and pass out goodies to the kids for Halloween. We signed up and are going to be the first to "Frunk or Treat." I am thinking maybe spread some fake cobwebs, hang skeleton from the frunk latch, and have a bunch of candy that they can grab from the frunk. Should be fun.

We're on our way home to Tampa from a visit to family in northern Indiana. We had to make a pit stop at a gas station in Vincennes, IN. We had just pulled into a parking spot, when a woman appeared seemingly out of nowhere, all excited. She said, "OMG, this is my dream car! Did you have to get it from Indianapolis?"

I looked at her funny and said, "no, we're from Florida, and you can just order it online". She looked even more in love with the car then! Even though her next question was "is it really good on gas?". Sigh.

We're on our way home to Tampa from a visit to family in northern Indiana. We had to make a pit stop at a gas station in Vincennes, IN. We had just pulled into a parking spot, when a woman appeared seemingly out of nowhere, all excited. She said, "OMG, this is my dream car! Did you have to get it from Indianapolis?"

I looked at her funny and said, "no, we're from Florida, and you can just order it online". She looked even more in love with the car then! Even though her next question was "is it really good on gas?". Sigh.
I must wonder if she mistook it for another car. The Chrysler 200 looks similar at least, and I've occasionally mistaken the headlights of an oncoming newer Ford hatchback something-or-other for a Tesla until it got close enough ... oh, a grille ... never mind. :rolleyes: