Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla moments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the past week or so I have been attending various cruise in nights (primarily older hot rod type cars). While there have been plenty of Tesla Moments as a result, one from last night stands out. I was talking to some older gentlemen who were keenly interested in the car, but knew nothing about it, when one of their friends walks over wearing a Tesla cap. He starts asking about the engine, and how it does on gas and various related questions. I try joking back with him, but he repeated his questions, choosing different wording. Turns out, I assumed since he was wearing a Tesla cap, he was joking about fuel/etc. In actuality, he was wearing the hat only because his son gave it to him... he knew nothing of the car, and his questions were sincere. Once that confusion was settled, he was thrilled to hear it was electric/etc. Never judge a book by its cover (or its hat)!

From a latin word? I doubt that very much. Motorcyclists call Japanese bikes rice cookers or rice boilers too, and it sure as heck is not derived from any latin word ...

Don't forget "rice rockets".

- - - Updated - - -

According to the Urban Dictionary, Ricarius is a Spanish word, meaning "someone who sucks at everything. Can't get anything right."

Hehe.

Oh, you were serious? The Urban Dictionary link does exist, but I wouldn't put any credence in it. No spanish word ends in "ius", and the example sentence is not by a spanish speaker either.

I took my first long trip in my Tesla last weekend (it was great!) and there were a handful of Tesla Moments, but my favorite might have been this one that occurred quite near the end of my return drive.

I had bailed off of 95 onto 301 and was back into Maryland where the stoplights start showing up more frequently. A man in a supercharged V8 Land Rover (the one with the badging) and I had been playing leapfrog for several minutes of driving, all the while with him looking over at my car, getting into a lane to stay near mine, etc.

As luck would have it, I managed to get pole position at a light with him in the other lane a couple cars back. As the light changed, I gave it the go pedal up to my cruising speed and settled back in. After a minute or two I notice in my rear-view that he's right behind me with his phone out, both hands stretched over the wheel towards the windshield, recording me driving.

He ended up passing, and we waved to each other. I don't think he quite knew what he was looking at, but once I launched out of that stoplight he knew he needed to document it!

I got my P85D last Saturday, and have had quite a few moments over the last week (there aren't many owners here in Hampton Roads, VA).

But today took the cake.

A police officer pulled up in front of our house. As I walked outside to greet him, I saw him looking through our windows. "You're good," he replied, "somebody saw you putting your kids into the trunk and thought something was fishy. They called us to check it out. People can be nosey. Nice car! These rear facing seats are a lot safer than the alternatives - I'm guessing you're going to be getting a lot of stares with this car."

My wife's a little upset that somebody followed home from the grocery store, but all in all, another fun and interesting day with the Tesla!

Can the owner be the one on the surprise end of a Tesla moment? Met up with a friend and his wife and son today at the Charlotte Supercharger to show them the Tesla. They were enamoured and loved the car. When I gave them the demonstration of plugging into the Supercharger, I gave the unit a "slap on the back" and said this things are sturdy and people on the forums says how they used it in all weather conditions. My friend's wife smiled and said she was glad to hear it, as her company SABIC makes the plastic housing!

My wife's a little upset that somebody followed home from the grocery store,

Why does she assume she was actually followed? Isn't it more likely somebody called the police and gave them your license plate number and the police looked it up on the compter and drove straight to your home?

- - - Updated - - -

My wife's a little upset that somebody followed home from the grocery store,

Why does she assume she was actually followed? Isn't it more likely somebody called the police and gave them your license plate number and the police looked it up on the compter and drove straight to your home?

Weird one today: I went in to a local auto parts store on a long shot that I might be able to pick up a cabin air filter. The counter clerk didn't know what a Tesla was and said he'd never heard of that brand before. They did have a computer listing for the car, but no cabin air filter listed. 2 1/2 years ago it was common to hear "Tesla? Who makes that?" comments, but I haven't met anyone apart from today lately that hasn't heard of Tesla. Especially weird that this was at a car parts place.

I dropped off my wife where she volunteers, and I was just getting ready to pull out when I noticed a pedestrian crossing the street and gesticulating at me. Expecting the likely, I rolled down my window and put the car back in park. The fellow mentioned he had just seen one of these at a client's site a few days ago, and named [my condo building]. So I said I lived there, it was probably this one. He continued that he'd never seen one before that, and couldn't figure out what the stylized T was. The next day he asked his *ahem* younger co-workers. They knew right away and were all over him with information. He went to the web that night and "started reading up on Tesla, and then today YOU pull up!".

I gave him the minor features tour. While we were still looking at the frunk, a couple of his co-workers came out and gathered round, then a few more, the there were seven of us chatting for 10 minutes. While that was happening, coincidentally a white Fisker Karma drove slowly up and down the street, I guess looking for an address, and nobody noticed it. I pointed it out and the earlier connection between Fisker and Tesla. Then the group left... the first fellow still couldn't get over the timing of his last few days.

Ok, separate incident but us EV'rs have to stick together. Complicated things happened and I ended up at a traffic light in the right lane of a street where the right lane doesn't actually go past the intersection, but it's useful to avoid people stuck turning left from the left (driving) lane. Except the car that was stuck ended up getting out of the way and the (admittedly, bus) was now at the front, beside me, at the red light. Then a courier who drives a Leaf pulled in behind me... except the bus wasn't turning left. I figured we could both boot it and leave the bus in the dust, safely getting through the intersection back into the travel lane where we belonged. On green, I took off, and the Leaf was smart enough to be ready and easily came in behind - I gave him a thumbs up through the pano. As the road widened to two lanes in a couple of blocks he caught up beside me and we exchanged thumbs up again. 'Twas much fun!

When I drove to our local Hospital to pick up my wife (she's a physician there) I couldn't get into the doctor's parking lot since I don't have a key card. The most convenient place to park was next to the ER but in one of the empty "Emergency Vehicle Parking Only" parking spots.
After waiting for her for about 5 minutes I notice 3 uniformed security guards in my rear view mirror coming over to the car. Fearing the worse I prepared my apology.
"Sorry, I was waiting for my wife. I'll park it somewhere else right away".

One guard replied " Yes, Go park it in my driveway and leave the key in it".

Relieved they just wanted to check out the car I gave them a 10 min tour of the features. Tesla smiles all around.

John

When I drove to our local Hospital to pick up my wife (she's a physician there) I couldn't get into the doctor's parking lot since I don't have a key card. The most convenient place to park was next to the ER but in one of the empty "Emergency Vehicle Parking Only" parking spots.
After waiting for her for about 5 minutes I notice 3 uniformed security guards in my rear view mirror coming over to the car. Fearing the worse I prepared my apology.
"Sorry, I was waiting for my wife. I'll park it somewhere else right away".

One guard replied " Yes, Go park it in my driveway and leave the key in it".

Relieved they just wanted to check out the car I gave them a 10 min tour of the features. Tesla smiles all around.

Glad to hear you got your car and are having fun moments already.