Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla moments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is a funny story

My wife took her mom to get her nails done. When walking out there were 3 teenagers looking a the Model S, When she walked up to the car the door handle popped out, one of the teenagers said how did you do that the car opened without you pressing a remote or anything . My wife says this the car is linked to my heartbeat it knows it’s me and it opened up. The teenagers were WOW I want one of these when I grow up. I cracked up laughing when she told me the story.

This is a funny story

My wife took her mom to get her nails done. When walking out there were 3 teenagers looking a the Model S, When she walked up to the car the door handle popped out, one of the teenagers said how did you do that the car opened without you pressing a remote or anything . My wife says this the car is linked to my heartbeat it knows it’s me and it opened up. The teenagers were WOW I want one of these when I grow up. I cracked up laughing when she told me the story.

I usually tell people it sniffs the air and recognizes my DNA. You have to give a skin sample when you pick up the car.

I'm seen it before, somewhere...

ujzkoaexpikaoad2ul4q.gif

Who are you people? Everyone where I work knew about my Tesla before I even got it. They were sick of hearing me freaking out waiting for it. Then when I took delivery, I spent pretty much the entire day in the parking lot giving the tour and rides. I think everyone in the building was almost as excited as I was!
I could never keep that secret.

Same here. Close friends were ready for me to just buy the thing months prior to actually ordering it because they were sick of hearing about it. I've given almost anyone that has asked about it rides, including interested patients! Best purchase I've made to date! For first couple of months I would sit at work and think of how I could have used the money in more constructive ways, reducing debt, etc etc (yawn), etc....then when I slide into the driver's seat and press the GO pedal I'm reminded its worth every penny :D

I tried to tell disinterested strangers!
Ha! maybe some day I'll grow up and that sentence will be true in the past tense for me too.

@Pollux - yeah, I know, I have to tease myself about "pimping out" my car, but worst case, it's just some fun bling that amuses children at cars'n'coffee. Best case, it's a safety enhancement - nobody can miss the turn signals, brakes or reverse when lit up that way!

I had sort of the opposite of a Tesla moment the last couple of days. I had to fly to San Diego on business and leave a car for two days at the long term parking in Portland. My SO suggested I take her Subaru making the point that her car is so common around Portland it would be ignored, but the Telsa might attract the attentions of a car prowler and it might get dinged. She's normally not the type to be a worry wart about those sorts of things, but the upside for her is she got the Tesla for two days.

I haven't really been in her car much since June so I had forgotten when it was like.

I left the car at the airport rather than have her take me (we're not that far from the airport) because I had to leave the house at 5 AM and she is not a morning person at all. It would be torturing her to force her up that early.

So I drove her car to the airport. First mistake was when I ran through the stop sigh at the top of our street because her car doesn't have regen brakes! Then I got going on some more major roads and thought I must be screaming along only to realize I was driving under the speed limit. The car sounded like it was tearing itself apart.

For an ICE it's a decent car, but it felt so primitive compared to my Tesla. I was thinking about it and the difference in driving for me is like the difference between my 1992 Buick and a 1960s VW Bug. About a 30 year difference in the driving experience. Only her car is a 2013 and mine is a 2016.

I did have a couple of Tesla moments in San Diego. I only saw a couple the first day, but Tuesday I saw several. We were staying in La Jolla and visiting the offices of my customer's biggest customer. Eating breakfast in La Jolla I was watching the street for Telsas and saw a few. I realized about halfway through breakfast there was a BMW i8 parked across the street. They thing is fuggly. It would look OK if they didn't do the multi color thing. That makes it look like a kid's toy.

On our way to the airport we were stopped in traffic in front of an auto body shop and one of the guys noted the art deco facade on the shop. It looked to me a modern building that was decorated to look like an art deco building, but it could have been original. As I was looking at the details on the building I noticed a dark blue Model X parked along the side of the building and as we got going again I noticed two Model Ss parked behind it.

I felt bad for the three Telsa owners with their cars stuck in the shop.

On our way to lunch with the customers somehow Tesla came up and one of the customer's engineers was under the impression they were a few hundred thousand. He was impressed the starting price was below $70K and wasn't aware the Model 3 was going to start at $35K. He found that impressive.