Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla moments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It would be great if someone could think up a better treatment for aggressive tailgaters than to slow and pull over for them, but so far that's really the best way out. I did see one guy who had a dual windshield washer set up, one of which would spray (blinker?) fluid on the tailgaters windshield. I've tried turning on 4way warning flashers, which sometimes has an effect, but more often is ignored.

Every so often, even in the Tesla-land that is the SF Bay Area, I get a surprise. Just backed my Model S into a parking space at work, pulled my backpack and lunchbox out of the frunk like I do every day. I hear a guy yelling to me from across the parking lot, "Your car has a trunk in the front?!?" This started a 10 minute conversation about how much storage the Model S has, and how being electric leaves a bunch more interior space because there's no ICE, transmission, etc.

If any non-Tesla person asks me, I put my stuff in the frunk because it's easier to get to when I back into parking spaces, also it's marginally more secure (or at least more obscure) than the trunk. But another reason is to spark conversations like that.

Bruce.
Whenever I use my frunk I get my fingerprints all over the hood. Do you carry a cloth with you to shut it?

Reactions: Deraillor
I keep my suitcases in the frunk of my 2016 S during road trips. One night we stopped at a motel that had a glassed-in office right by the parking lot. After checking in, I went back to the car and opened the frunk and was taking my suitcases out when the woman in the motel office came flying out and said "OMG! You have blown my mind!" It just never gets old.

Whenever I use my frunk I get my fingerprints all over the hood. Do you carry a cloth with you to shut it?

No, but I use the heels of both hands to press it shut...that was the standard practice back in 2015 to avoid stressing / creasing the frunk lid.

Also, my car is metallic silver...the color hides dust, fingerprints, etc. well. :)

Bruce.

I agree, the frunk is very useful. On my model S, the frunk is prefect for carrying a propane cylinder. Snuggles in perfectly without needing to use ropes or tie-downs. On long trips, thats where a cooler for water and/or snacks go. And yes, that's were groceries go as well so that they are accessible back in the garage.

Reactions: DavidB
Hmm.. I have never even opened the frunk in my 3 years of driving Teslas. Not once, except when the sales guy showed me how to open and close when I picked it up.
I keep spare clothes in there. Never know when the AC is going to be too cold in a building, or if someone needs a sweater.
Also, no cooling in the frunk which is a concern in phoenix, so nothing that is temperature sensitive.

Reactions: DavidB
I rarely use the frunk on my Model 3 because:
1,. It"s very small and shallow
2, To close it as instructed requires both hands on the paintwork which I fear will eventually mare the paint.
My Porsche had a similar front closing mechanism but only required finger pressure on the Porsche crest, so much better.
Of course the ideal closing mechanism would be an automatic soft close.
Same goes for the rear truck for that matter.

Every so often, even in the Tesla-land that is the SF Bay Area, I get a surprise. Just backed my Model S into a parking space at work, pulled my backpack and lunchbox out of the frunk like I do every day. I hear a guy yelling to me from across the parking lot, "Your car has a trunk in the front?!?" This started a 10 minute conversation about how much storage the Model S has, and how being electric leaves a bunch more interior space because there's no ICE, transmission, etc.

If any non-Tesla person asks me, I put my stuff in the frunk because it's easier to get to when I back into parking spaces, also it's marginally more secure (or at least more obscure) than the trunk. But another reason is to spark conversations like that.

Bruce.
I was at the post office and opened the frunk to get some stuff out. A lady driving by stopped to offer assistance because she though my car had broken down

Bruce.
I have been backing my MS into parking space ever since the self lowering glitch ripped my front bumper off. That's a better reason of backing in.

Reactions: Guy V
Drove from Santa Barbara to Halifax NS in summer 2017 in brand new S 100D. Many Tesla moments. Here are a couple:
Arrived at a SC back of a motel in Nebraska. Every slot but two were ICEd. Backed into an open one as all heads turned (very congested and busy lot). Seemed none of them knew what a Tesla was nor did they expect one to actually show up.

Charging at a public station behind a gas station in Toronto, guy approaches me and asks if he can take pictures of his girlfriend next to the car. Said she is a model and wanted to add it to her portfolio.

Driving to an SC just across the Detroit/Windsor boarder, Nav System insisted on this route:

427DF54B-6B7B-4D89-9BA4-2EAC42C02F7B.jpeg

After scratching my head for many miles heading towards the border, I turned off “avoid tolls” and got this:
AF77CDC8-0A17-4AC2-B6B9-506FF231934D.jpeg

I guess there is a toll free bridge at the other end of Lake Ontario!

@Gray468 That other no-cost access to Toronto is actually on the south side of Quebec! I guess you were trying to get to Comber, which we used just about 2 days ago. To get to Ontario from Detroit, you do have to take either the Ambassador Bridge or the tunnel which will both take you to Windsor.

If you haven’t already border crossed yet, my advice would be to watch out for scammers at the toll points. At the bridge, there was a tariff of either 5$US or 6,25$CAN. As Canadians, we paid Canadian (no credit cards accepted) and the attendant tried to scam by keeping a loonie while he blabbing about the Rich Rebuilds channel on YT.

Save travels!

We keep a hamster wheel with a toy hamster in it - started in our 2013 S and it continues with the 2018 S replacement. Always good for a laugh when we show off the 'engine'.

I did that the first year at car shows/EV events (got the idea from forum posts, quite possibly from you,) and it went over well, so I upgraded to a four member hamster array for more power and range. :)