Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla moments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Every so often, even in the Tesla-land that is the SF Bay Area, I get a surprise. Just backed my Model S into a parking space at work, pulled my backpack and lunchbox out of the frunk like I do every day. I hear a guy yelling to me from across the parking lot, "Your car has a trunk in the front?!?" This started a 10 minute conversation about how much storage the Model S has, and how being electric leaves a bunch more interior space because there's no ICE, transmission, etc.

If any non-Tesla person asks me, I put my stuff in the frunk because it's easier to get to when I back into parking spaces, also it's marginally more secure (or at least more obscure) than the trunk. But another reason is to spark conversations like that.

Bruce.

There's a huge downside to the Frunk in the Model S. In order to make something that was completely unnecessary (given the large size of the rear trunk) Tesla designers packed a whole lot of mechanical components way down low in the front of the car. I made the mistake of running the nose of the car over a short parking curb, heard a scrape and didn't give it much notice, as on other cars it might scratch the underside of the bumper cover, that's all.

The Tesla with the Frunk? I was stunned when I got out of the car and saw all kinds of stuff hanging. I took it to an approved Tesla bodyshop and the owner simply looked at it and said "$6,000, and I already know all the parts damaged". I asked how he knew and he responded "We see this all the time". The insurance adjuster approved the repairs and the body shop sent Tesla a manifest of all the parts needed. I was warned that it'd take a couple of weeks for the parts to arrive, as Tesla was notoriously slow.

10 weeks later, most of the parts arrived. What didn't arrive they scavenged off other brand new Tesla that were there for repairs prior to delivery, knowing that when my remaining parts arrived, they'd be installed back into the donor cars. The repairs took another 2 weeks

If the Frunk wasn't there, and all that stuff was located up out of harms way, I and all the other people who had this problem wouldn't have gotten burned. So, I'd recommend 2 things. First, don't get googly eyed over the coolness of the Frunk. Second, keep a very safe distance from any parking curbs, else you will be without your car for 3 months, mostly waiting for parts.

There's a huge downside to the Frunk in the Model S. In order to make something that was completely unnecessary (given the large size of the rear trunk) Tesla designers packed a whole lot of mechanical components way down low in the front of the car. I made the mistake of running the nose of the car over a short parking curb, heard a scrape and didn't give it much notice, as on other cars it might scratch the underside of the bumper cover, that's all.

The Tesla with the Frunk? I was stunned when I got out of the car and saw all kinds of stuff hanging. I took it to an approved Tesla bodyshop and the owner simply looked at it and said "$6,000, and I already know all the parts damaged". I asked how he knew and he responded "We see this all the time". The insurance adjuster approved the repairs and the body shop sent Tesla a manifest of all the parts needed. I was warned that it'd take a couple of weeks for the parts to arrive, as Tesla was notoriously slow.

10 weeks later, most of the parts arrived. What didn't arrive they scavenged off other brand new Tesla that were there for repairs prior to delivery, knowing that when my remaining parts arrived, they'd be installed back into the donor cars. The repairs took another 2 weeks

If the Frunk wasn't there, and all that stuff was located up out of harms way, I and all the other people who had this problem wouldn't have gotten burned. So, I'd recommend 2 things. First, don't get googly eyed over the coolness of the Frunk. Second, keep a very safe distance from any parking curbs, else you will be without your car for 3 months, mostly waiting for parts.
And don't let your SO drive it if the front bumper of their minivan looks like mine does. Is there another thread titled "Bad
Tesla Moments"?

• Funny
Reactions: APotatoGod

Can you post the list of repaired parts?
I'm having a hard time imagining what low mounted parts could have been moved up. Radiator, condensers, steering rack, suspension, gearbox, ultrasonics, radar are the lowest items, and those can't be moved higher.

Compare to ICE which has those plus engine and transmission oil pans

When I saw the fuel truck blocking my exit from the superchargers, I was worried about some “ICE’ing” confrontation. It turns out the driver was super interested in the car and just wanted to ask me a bunch of questions.

That is...a very creative way of making sure you couldn't get away before he had a chance to talk to you!

Bruce.

That S looks just right.

Thanks!

I was fine with standard silver wheels (shown in my profile pic), but my wife insisted on upgrading to the “carbon slipstream” ones for $1500 more. I am getting ready to add some wheel rim guards from evvanex that have a red insert, mostly to hide a bit of curb rash but also hoping to dress up the look a bit.
A962E92E-9428-4430-B634-C57A6008F29D.jpeg

Reactions: hiroshiy
Hmm.. I have never even opened the frunk in my 3 years of driving Teslas. Not once, except when the sales guy showed me how to open and close when I picked it up.

A Frunk is like a display case for really special things. If we someday get a Flux Capacitor, that's where I'll put it.

I use the Frunk for my shoes on road-trips (along with badminton rackets, don't laugh, it's a Canadian thing). You never know when a hike is in order and you can always find your shoes and socks, no digging.

I agree, the frunk is very useful. On my model S, the frunk is prefect for carrying a propane cylinder. Snuggles in perfectly without needing to use ropes or tie-downs. On long trips, thats where a cooler for water and/or snacks go. And yes, that's were groceries go as well so that they are accessible back in the garage.
way to make your electric car back into a gas car :)

There's a huge downside to the Frunk in the Model S. In order to make something that was completely unnecessary (given the large size of the rear trunk) Tesla designers packed a whole lot of mechanical components way down low in the front of the car.…
On the flip side, when I struck a full sized 10 point buck, the hood was crumpled, both fenders were damaged, the housing for the nosecone was smashed, and it was impossible to open the frunk. I drove my S for another 16000 miles before surrendering it to the body shop.

It’s perfect for groceries. Not all fit, but most do, and it holds them secure for more active driving. It’s amazing how much will actually hold.

My vintage (2006) Porsche Cayman S also has a frunk. The Cayman’s is deep enough for small suitcases or carry-ons, and keeps the weight really low.

Hmm.. I have never even opened the frunk in my 3 years of driving Teslas. Not once, except when the sales guy showed me how to open and close when I picked it up.
I sure hope they didn't leave you a surprise package of brownies in there!

I use mine all the time. It's convenient when backing in, keeps smelly things away from the cabin, also keeps cooler when the car's in the sun.
Occasionally will still spark up a conversation too.

Good to know. I guess it makes sense it’ll be cooler since there’s no glass. Thanks.