Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Nazi: "No More Autopilot for You!" [Seinfeld episode reference, for those offended: HUMOR]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Whenever I come across posts that suggest putting an object on the steering wheel I mutter and rock. I’m not opposed to circumventing the nanny, but....

What if you’re in a collision and that object is dislodged and ends up between your face and the deploying air bag?

There was a fella who espoused hanging a bag of bird shot, and I don’t think he’s ever going to forgive me for the merciless ribbing I gave him. But i can’t think of a better thing to insert into my imagery of such an event. Coins are another good one. Even an orange coming at you at 100 mph is gonna hurt.
I don’t think it’s as much about over reliance or blatant misuse of the system. I sympathize as I find the nags bothersome as they are seemingly unpredictable as hand torque is variable particularly when the wheel moves itself. You almost have to “pretend steer” to keep the car from throwing a fit unless you’re constantly touching other wheel buttons.

You f_cking idiot

#triggered

Thats not very canadian of you. Go drink some Tims and come back when you're a little happier.

Heres the deal people. You can disagree all you want. I really don't care. If Tesla didn't want the system defeated they should have adopted something like GM uses in super cruise. Or tweaked the pressure required to say i'm paying attention. You know what? Even if someone has the correct weight on the wheel doesn't mean they are paying attention. You can have your face buried in the phone or doing other things which I have seen a lot of Tesla drivers doing. The only thing this system says is your hand is there and thats it. With my phone on the wheel you know what im doing? PAYING ATTENTION.

Autopilot changes its behavior daily. Some days it nags a lot and others it doesn't. I put my arm on the door panel and hand next to the spoke and it does not feel the weight so it nags me. With the weight of my phone it's disabled. There is a long stretch of highway with little to no traffic and this works great for. Only this place and bumper to bumper traffic is when i use autopilot. Bumper to bumper I use a different hand position and I don't get nagged.

Last edited:
Autopilot changes its behavior daily.
I could not disagree with this statement more.

I use AP a minimum of 1 hour on a daily basis, sometimes in bumper-to-bumper and sometimes with full speed. I have learned what it takes to keep AP happy and it is very rare that I get a warning (unless I am doing something I shouldn't, such as having both hands off the wheel - usually in bumper-to-bumper).

It's about developing the muscle memory and programming yourself to apply a slight pressure every few seconds (with a much shorter interval than the warning interval).

I took some folks from the local car club for a ride. Tried to demo Auto Pilot. Tessie refused to cooperate. Stopped. Put it in Park. Got out. Got back in. Took off. Same warning: Auto Pilot disabled. I turned to my passengers, threw up my hands and said, "I don't know what I did but apparently I pissed Tessie off." They laughed. She can be stubborn.

A recent update caused mine to give me the same message - I hadn't had it on at all, but it refused to turn on. System reboot sorted it.

Reactions: MichaelP90DL

I use AP a minimum of 1 hour on a daily basis, sometimes in bumper-to-bumper and sometimes with full speed. I have learned what it takes to keep AP happy and it is very rare that I get a warning (unless I am doing something I shouldn't, such as having both hands off the wheel - usually in bumper-to-bumper).

It's about developing the muscle memory and programming yourself to apply a slight pressure every few seconds (with a much shorter interval than the warning interval).

I normally have my elbow on the center armrest and just squeezing the wheel at that angle is enough to put sufficient torque on the wheel.

Reactions: MichaelP90DL

Software and firmware being “the same” notwithstanding, its entirely possible some cars are just more sensitive than others.

I normally have my elbow on the center armrest and just squeezing the wheel at that angle is enough to put sufficient torque on the wheel.

Almost the same: I have my left elbow on the door up against the window. And I've programmed myself to periodically put a little extra torque momentarily just to make sure.

Software and firmware being “the same” notwithstanding, its entirely possible some cars are just more sensitive than others.
That may be the case, but I can't see how it can vary from day-to-day within the same car as @bpobill stated - that is the part I have serious doubts about.

Almost the same: I have my left elbow on the door up against the window. And I've programmed myself to periodically put a little extra torque momentarily just to make sure.

That may be the case, but I can't see how it can vary from day-to-day within the same car as @bpobill stated - that is the part I have serious doubts about.
We don’t know until someone cracks the algorithms however I’ve experienced days where NoAP is next to unusable unless you’re practically “mock steering” and days where just a light constant weight toward one side or the other keeps it happy. I have no doubt the car keeps logs stored on how often it has to nag you.

I've rested my hand on the bottom of the steering wheel, but I'm going to try having it around 10:00 instead. That way, the torque should continuously let the car know my hand is on the wheel.
That sounds like a good plan. You'll get the hang of what is needed to keep the alarm to a minimum. It really doesn't require a lot of torque and in the beginning you'll probably over-torque and disengage the Auto Steer a time or two. But you'll get the hang of it.

Also, I have programmed myself to see when the warning pops up. It is extremely rare that I ever get to the flashing blue any more.

When I first got my Tesla, I often joked that I had to relearn how to drive (despite having in excess of 1MM ICE miles under my belt). This was one of the reasons why.

Even if someone has the correct weight on the wheel doesn't mean they are paying attention.

This is why it just sounds simple minded to say "If you're defeating the nag, you're [a menace | *expletive* | ignorant | inbred | insert your own]." Everyone who has a pulse and a driver's license has seen drivers, of any type of car, with two hands firmly upon the wheel, not paying a bit of attention. The nag is there because the lawyers got ahold of the procedures somehow, not because it's an *actual* safety measure.

The only way to ensure that you're paying attention, is to actually pay attention.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
I would find the nags just a bit less annoying if our input allowed us to nudge the car a little toward one side of the lane. Riding the right lane with frequent exits and widening lanes often results in ping pong action which could be alleviated by “nudging” toward the dashed line.

Well, that's the thing. I had one hand, and often two, on the wheel at all times. It was rainy, and I was paying attention. I have had to take control enough times that I do not trust AP completely. A few miles earlier, I'd watched someone merge in front of me and Nick didn't slow down much.

As I said in the OP, I don't think I missed any alerts, but who knows? There were a few times when it was flashing blue, but I purposely waited for the auditory alarm before moving the wheel. Maybe that's it.
Literally if you have a hand on the wheel by the vertical spoke it will be enough to show input into the system to not cause nags - as it steers it feels your pressure against the turning of the steering wheel. Waiting for the audible or red nag is almost assured to cause it to kick out eventually as your response will not be fast enough very quickly and then it will deny you for the rest of the trip. To avoid this keep your hand on the wheel by the spoke and if you see a nag just put gentle pressure against the spoke and it will go away or give one click on either thumb wheel and it will also go away. To be clear the pressure on the wheel it needs is some (not much) resistance to the steering wheel turning the wheels and does not detect your touch or "squeeze" pressure on the wheel.