Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla needs to give us more music options like Spotify

Are you satisfied w the current options for music/entertainment?

• Yes

Votes: 21 8.8%
  • No

Votes: 218 91.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's been about 2 weeks since I got my model 3 and ever since I find it sooo annoying that we dont get Spotify or other apps in our cars... Or cant they just toss in Android Auto or Apple CarPlay?

We have these beautiful displays in our cars and we cant use em as much..

Reasons why I hate the music service that Tesla's currently using is because it keeps bringing the same tracks over and over again and when you get tired of that and want to lookup an artist.. Then it plays one song from that artist and then starts to play some random tracks that no-one even listens to anymore........ Do y'all agree? Or have any suggestions how I can at least create my own playlists?
I agree that the system leaves much to be desired, but I noticed the other day a place on the screen where you could login to Spotify if you had an account. Did you try that?

• Love
Reactions: Narekzo
If they did CarPlay it would have to be a much different version than are integrated into most cars now because CarPlay takes over everything.

You're either in carplay, or you're in your cars system.

So you'd have to go back out from carplay to do any Tesla stuff, and then back into carplay etc...

That is unless they did something different than I've seen in cars.

My Spotify works perfectly. Nice app although you can’t save favourite playlists when using the Tesla account :(

C367397E-9221-49FE-AD8C-C0C3FCD76EB9.jpeg

Attachments

• 1A7F8218-C371-4255-B7F6-62041A0D30B2.jpeg
    1A7F8218-C371-4255-B7F6-62041A0D30B2.jpeg
    419 KB · Views: 405
I would imagine they could pretty easily configure the screen in the model 3 to appear to be several virtual screens to Android Auto or Apple CarPlay, so that it could only take over the area that is normally reserved for maps. The only thing that I'm going to miss when I get my P3D is the ability to use Android Auto on my way to and from work. You just don't realize how convenient it is until you don't have it. Google has really mastered voice recognition. Alexa, Siri, and (especially) my F150's native voice recognition are awful, comparatively. The same ITTT triggers that work on my google home also work when I say things in my truck. I can turn on my garage AC while on my way home so its nice and cool and ready for me to work out when I get home. I can adjust the thermostat in the house before I get there. I can have all my google home devices announce whatever I want so that my girlfriend knows I'm on my way home or that I picked up dinner or whatever. I can turn my TV off from my truck on the way to work if I don't remember whether I turned it off before leaving. I can lock and unlock my front door in case guests arrived at my house just before me. Texts are transcribed flawlessly. I can set reminders for myself that trigger when I get somewhere or at a certain time. The list just goes on and on. I never have to look at a screen to do these things. There's no way the native Tesla infotainment system will ever allow me do to all of these different things that I can currently do with Android Auto. Overall, I'm very psyched to get my new Tesla, but being stuck dealing with its infotainment center is the one thing I've been worried about getting frustrated with. First world problems, I know...but still.

I think it's highly unlikely you'll see CarPlay or Android Auto in a Tesla. Now that Tesla has a data plan that will soon be in place, having them add these features means time/money spent that would only serve to reduce a revenue stream. It's in Tesla's best financial interests for you to use the music streaming and GPS navigation they provide and not your own.

The big question should really be: How long is Tesla's contract with Slacker? Once that ends, hopefully Tesla will switch to Spotify for US users. A few years ago Tesla even floated the idea around of creating their own in-house music streaming service. Hopefully they decide not to go that route!

So for now, US owners need to either get used to Slacker or live with streaming from the phone via Bluetooth. At least you still get skip, play/pause and song info via the screen. So unless you like to move between playlists frequently, you still can do the most common controls via the wheel and not have to touch/look at the phone.

Also, doesn't cache too much.... Major issue when LTE is sketchy....

interestingly enough i have seen the exact opposite of this...i picked up my model 3 yesterday and i'm extremely impressed with how much it seems to cache tunein, as my house is in a sketchy LTE area and i haven't lost the stream as i pull into my garage.

this is never the case with my phone (which granted is tmobile vs att in the car of course), but my phone always loses any streaming music as soon as i pull around the corner to my street. the model 3 has kept the stream playing (so far, anyway) in these spots where my phone almost never does.

It's been about 2 weeks since I got my model 3 and ever since I find it sooo annoying that we dont get Spotify or other apps in our cars... Or cant they just toss in Android Auto or Apple CarPlay?

We have these beautiful displays in our cars and we cant use em as much..

Reasons why I hate the music service that Tesla's currently using is because it keeps bringing the same tracks over and over again and when you get tired of that and want to lookup an artist.. Then it plays one song from that artist and then starts to play some random tracks that no-one even listens to anymore........ Do y'all agree? Or have any suggestions how I can at least create my own playlists?
Im frustrated with entertainment options in the car. Ended up purchasing slacker to hopefully be able to play any songs but nope, after signing in, slacker still plays random songs. Probably a bug with slacker and we already have Google music so just wanted to see if it would be worthwhile to switch but nope. What a waste of $10

• Love
I think it's highly unlikely you'll see CarPlay or Android Auto in a Tesla. Now that Tesla has a data plan that will soon be in place, having them add these features means time/money spent that would only serve to reduce a revenue stream. It's in Tesla's best financial interests for you to use the music streaming and GPS navigation they provide and not your own.

The big question should really be: How long is Tesla's contract with Slacker? Once that ends, hopefully Tesla will switch to Spotify for US users. A few years ago Tesla even floated the idea around of creating their own in-house music streaming service. Hopefully they decide not to go that route!

So for now, US owners need to either get used to Slacker or live with streaming from the phone via Bluetooth. At least you still get skip, play/pause and song info via the screen. So unless you like to move between playlists frequently, you still can do the most common controls via the wheel and not have to touch/look at the phone.

I don't want Spotify, either. I use Apple Music, and that's what I want. I shouldn't have to leave my music service of choice, or subscribe to two in order to use my music when I drive. Nor should someone who chooses to use Spotify. I think Tesla will get with the program once they have more competition for EV business from the likes of Jaguar, BMW, Audi, etc..

I'd be much more ok with
We need Sirius Satellite Radio so I can listen to Howard Stern without the annoying phone app.

that'd require a hardware change- not happening.

The 3 easiest improvements would be:

1) Allow higher bitrate with slacker so it doesn't sound like garbage compared to even bluetooth, let alone a USB key

2) Make the USB interface not suck, and maybe be able to resume playback like 10 year old cars could do

3) Allow plugged-in music playback from phones- this opens more control options on the screen than over BT

1 probably won't happen because bandwidth costs money and they don't get any more out of the owner for 64kbps vs 128 or better....

2 and 3 would just need a little effort from their coding team though.

No, it's not fine. It's a hot mess that is tone deaf to the realities of the app-based lives of the typical smartphone user in 2018.

He's right. Why they have exclusivity with Slacker of all services i will never understand. I should be able to use Pandora/Spotify or whatever via a download and account sync. As someone else mentioned, you can't even select a song you want, all it does is use that for a suggested radio station, where sometimes the song you asked for plays first.

I end up using my bluetooth with Amazon music most of the time, which is sad because of how tech savy this car is supposed to be.

While I currently use Android Auto in my car, I'd like Spotify in the Tesla for sure. Tesla is covering my data. I use Project Fi for my cell service, so I'm paying per GB for data currently.. Sure I can pre-download a lot of music, but it's nice to not have to.

• Love
Im frustrated with entertainment options in the car. Ended up purchasing slacker to hopefully be able to play any songs but nope, after signing in, slacker still plays random songs. Probably a bug with slacker and we already have Google music so just wanted to see if it would be worthwhile to switch but nope. What a waste of $10

And what really sucks is that it actually has pretty much a wife variety of artists and their songs. Even the newest albums but it's impossible to have it stay on one album

• Helpful
Reactions: SlicedBr3ad
Not necessarily. They could add it as an option via the touch screen and allow you to log in if you are a subscriber (i.e. via data the same way slacker and tune in are), or sell a dongle that would add an auxiliary input via the USB port. There are ways they could do it without a hardware change.

A dongle is hardware :p

As to an app-that’d be internet radio not satellite- to receive via satellite broadcast requires hardware

And why would they offer it as an app?

They wouldn’t get any more money from you for all the extra data used but it would cost them money and they’d need to write and maintain the app too

If they did CarPlay it would have to be a much different version than are integrated into most cars now because CarPlay takes over everything.

You're either in carplay, or you're in your cars system.

So you'd have to go back out from carplay to do any Tesla stuff, and then back into carplay etc...

That is unless they did something different than I've seen in cars.

Absolutely untrue as it pertains to my car. Sure, there are some parts of the car's OEM infotainment systems that don't work when you're using some aspects of CarPlay. For instance I can't navigate using the car's system and Apple Maps at the same time. But why would I want to? However, I can, while in CarPlay press a button on my head unit and listen to an over the air radio station. Then, press the speak button and get my messages any time I want without losing the station I was listening to. My BMW even gives me a split screen where I can display weather data, or multiple of the other services that come with the ConnectedDrive system while still using my CarPlay on the other side of the screen.

I'm quite confident Tesla could put the CarPlay functionality in the same screen that the rest of the infotainment apps are located, without giving up the functional part of the car to it.