Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla needs to give us more music options like Spotify

Are you satisfied w the current options for music/entertainment?

• Yes

Votes: 21 8.8%
  • No

Votes: 218 91.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's been about 2 weeks since I got my model 3 and ever since I find it sooo annoying that we dont get Spotify or other apps in our cars... Or cant they just toss in Android Auto or Apple CarPlay?

We have these beautiful displays in our cars and we cant use em as much..

Reasons why I hate the music service that Tesla's currently using is because it keeps bringing the same tracks over and over again and when you get tired of that and want to lookup an artist.. Then it plays one song from that artist and then starts to play some random tracks that no-one even listens to anymore........ Do y'all agree? Or have any suggestions how I can at least create my own playlists?

The whole entertainment interface needs allot of work.... period.....

It's very buggy when it comes to pausing.... losing place during playback when exiting car.... etc...

Very much an issue when playing back podcasts.... Also, doesn't cache too much.... Major issue when LTE is sketchy....

• Love
Reactions: Narekzo and S3XY
None of the car controls (screen or wheel) work to select playlists and skip to specific songs via AUX (Bluetooth). You have to look at your phone while driving.

USB key.

The interface is still pretty crappy compared to even older cars, but at least it's on the cars screen instead of your phone.

Quality will be better than via BT as well (and vastly better than the 64kb/s slacker feed)

• Love
Reactions: Narekzo
None of the car controls (screen or wheel) work to select playlists and skip to specific songs via AUX (Bluetooth). You have to look at your phone while driving.

It doesn't on Model 3? I connect Spotify thru my phone on the Model X and it display the Album cover and play, pause, next song button on the car's screen. But yeah, no playlist selection, but I don't really need to change playlist often... in fact I only have 1 playlist LOL.

Last edited:
It doesn't on Model 3? I connect Spotify thru my phone on the Model X and it display the Album cover and play, pause, next song button on the car's screen. But yeah, no playlist selection, but I don't really need to change playlist often... in fact I only have 1 playlist LOL.
My understanding is that the M3 shows the current song just like the Model X.

It's been about 2 weeks since I got my model 3 and ever since I find it sooo annoying that we dont get Spotify or other apps in our cars... Or cant they just toss in Android Auto or Apple CarPlay?

We have these beautiful displays in our cars and we cant use em as much..

Reasons why I hate the music service that Tesla's currently using is because it keeps bringing the same tracks over and over again and when you get tired of that and want to lookup an artist.. Then it plays one song from that artist and then starts to play some random tracks that no-one even listens to anymore........ Do y'all agree? Or have any suggestions how I can at least create my own playlists?

Well, my wifey and I organize tracks on our computers and load them on a thumb drive. Plug and play. I may be one who listens to "random tracks that no(-)one ever listens to anymore", since I imagine most people don't listen to what I do. And actually, I prefer silence, which is partly why I drive electric.

Since I have never listened to "Spotify" or other public music, I have no complaints about the 3's music. I listen to what I like. Don't know why anyone can't.

I prefer using my USB stick mostly because I'm particular about my music. My gripe with that system is that there isn't much functionality. Everytime I leave the car and come back, it tries to play bluetooth media from my phone (which has none). I have to manually select USB, and a song everytime.

Would also like to see if it can just play files chronologically added but that's a stretch to ask. At the minimum, shuffle and auto play would be nice.

It's perfectly fine for the free to $100/year they are charging. We'll see what they come up with once the exclusivity agreement with Slacker expires.

No, it's not fine. It's a hot mess that is tone deaf to the realities of the app-based lives of the typical smartphone user in 2018. If they would allow CarPlay (and Android Auto) we could use our voice to control our phones, which we have already customized with our own apps that fit into our lifestyle. With CarPlay, my 2017 BMW, even with iDrive (don't get me started on that joke of a UI) is more user friendly than the Model 3.

Honestly, the infotainment system in the Tesla is a real head scratcher for me. A company that claims to blow up the old model of car ownership is dragging us right back into the old model just as most owners of other brands are starting to get freedom from the historically poorly conceived, designed and implemented infotainment systems that car manufactures fumble to include and/or sell in their vehicles.

With CarPlay and Android Auto people were finally able to break away from that, and have an experience designed by people who actually understand user-centric UI. But as it stands now the Tesla infotainment system is more like a mid-2000s Ford than the car of the future. Having to load and arrange data on a USB flash drive on a laptop/desktop ahead of time to rig up some semblance of utility? SMH.