Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Neo Gateway not working after new router

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently switched out my router for a new one and since I did that my solar part of my tesla app isn't working right. I get no signal and no server on the front of the gateway. My app shows solar production going to my home during the day but doesn't show anything going back to grid. At night the app is just blank and doesn't show what I am pulling off the grid at night. I've switched the ethernet cable to different ports on my router but same result. My router sees the the gateway connected l. Called tesla and they said it's on my end. Any help would be appreciated.

Could you elaborate a little on when you say your router "sees the gateway connected"?
Connected as in the Ethernet link is live?
Connected as in the gateway is logged in?
Is receiving and responding to pings?

Did you change the router password? (And change it on the gateway?)

All the best,

BG

I recently switched out my router for a new one and since I did that my solar part of my tesla app isn't working right. I get no signal and no server on the front of the gateway. My app shows solar production going to my home during the day but doesn't show anything going back to grid. At night the app is just blank and doesn't show what I am pulling off the grid at night. I've switched the ethernet cable to different ports on my router but same result. My router sees the the gateway connected l. Called tesla and they said it's on my end. Any help would be appreciated.
can you put the old router back to see if it still works?

Could you elaborate a little on when you say your router "sees the gateway connected"?
Connected as in the Ethernet link is live?
Connected as in the gateway is logged in?
Is receiving and responding to pings?

Did you change the router password? (And change it on the gateway?)

All the best,

BG
Thanks for the reply.

When I go to the netgear settings I can look at connected devices and it shows the gateway connected and ip address. This is a new router and I have new network names and passwords. I'm not sure how to change anything on the gateway. Not sure how to see if it'a pinging. Sorry not super network savvy. I was told to try and restart my inverter . I have my old router but it's a pain to re setup with Comcast.

Thanks for the reply.

When I go to the netgear settings I can look at connected devices and it shows the gateway connected and ip address. This is a new router and I have new network names and passwords. I'm not sure how to change anything on the gateway. Not sure how to see if it'a pinging. Sorry not super network savvy. I was told to try and restart my inverter . I have my old router but it's a pain to re setup with Comcast.
Anytime one uses a wireless connection, one has to give the router name and password. If one changes the router name, you have to reconnect. If one changes the password, one has to re connect.

I have a connection from my generator to wireless. I was having router signal issues so I installed another router. First I had changed the name, and had to go through the process of giving the generator all the new info so it could connect. Then I changed the password, and had to do the manual connect process again. Then I changed the router name again and yep, had to do another manual connect update. So with hardwire, never have to worry. But with wireless, yep, it seems you have to update the gateway to connect to the new signal source.

Anytime one uses a wireless connection, one has to give the router name and password. If one changes the router name, you have to reconnect. If one changes the password, one has to re connect.

I have a connection from my generator to wireless. I was having router signal issues so I installed another router. First I had changed the name, and had to go through the process of giving the generator all the new info so it could connect. Then I changed the password, and had to do the manual connect process again. Then I changed the router name again and yep, had to do another manual connect update. So with hardwire, never have to worry. But with wireless, yep, it seems you have to update the gateway to connect to the new signal source.
He mentioned he is hard wired into the router which should give it access.

Based on your title, you are talking about the small, black box. In addition to being connected to your network by ethernet, it needs to be able to communicate with your inverter to get production data and with the power blaster to get grid flow data. My understanding is both use Zigbee protocols to communicate, and placement can be an issue. What you are describing - getting production data but not grid data sounds to me like an issue communicating with the power blaster.

If you had never seen this data, I would suggest one was never installed, as has been reported by some. But, since you suggest that you did see that data before switching routers, you might look at whether in doing so, you also moved the gateway or otherwise somehow created interference with the power blaster (which I think is often installed in the breaker box.)

Mine is backup sort of but I still can't see what I sending back to the grid and what my house is currently using. Everything is going to house form solar which isn't right because I have nothing on at my house currently. Still getting same issues on front of the gateway. Hopefully this is because of the ongoing maintenance.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210109-113729_Tesla.jpg
    Screenshot_20210109-113729_Tesla.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 429
Mine is backup sort of but I still can't see what I sending back to the grid and what my house is currently using. Everything is going to house form solar which isn't right because I have nothing on at my house currently. Still getting same issues on front of the gateway. Hopefully this is because of the ongoing maintenance.

OP,

As mentioned, it sounds like you are talking about the tesla solar gateway, which is the little black box that must be hard wired to your network. There is no setup of this device (nothing you can change) on the device itself.

I spent a few different calls troubleshooting the same issue with tesla. I have a question for you, before I provide what happened in my situation. Does either of your neighbors also have tesla solar installed?

OP,

As mentioned, it sounds like you are talking about the tesla solar gateway, which is the little black box that must be hard wired to your network. There is no setup of this device (nothing you can change) on the device itself.

I spent a few different calls troubleshooting the same issue with tesla. I have a question for you, before I provide what happened in my situation. Does either of your neighbors also have tesla solar installed?
You say GW black box MUST be hard wired? Not everyone can do that.

You say GW black box MUST be hard wired? Not everyone can do that.

Yes, the black solar gateway MUST be hardwired. There are no settings in that device, it does not have standard wifi, etc. It is a wired device that connects to the inverter via zigbee, not wireless.

EDIT: just to be clear, it has an ethernet port on the back, that must be connected to your router (or a switch that is connected to your router, or a wireless access point that has ethernet ports on the back that is connected to your network).

The device itself needs a wired connection but that doesnt preclude someone connecting it to a wireless bridge, etc.... but the device itself has to be connected via an ethernet cable.

Last edited:
Yes, the black solar gateway MUST be hardwired. There are no settings in that device, it does not have standard wifi, etc. It is a wired device that connects to the inverter via zigbee, not wireless.

EDIT: just to be clear, it has an ethernet port on the back, that must be connected to your router (or a switch that is connected to your router, or a wireless access point that has ethernet ports on the back that is connected to your network).

The device itself needs a wired connection but that doesnt preclude someone connecting it to a wireless bridge, etc.... but the device itself has to be connected via an ethernet cable.
Am confused.

So, on my SE inverter, it currently has a wireless zigbee card and antenna. In my attic, I have a zigbee bridge, which hard wired to my intranet system. The wireless zigbee card connects to the zigbee bridge, and everything works fine.

So, what happens when installs cannot get a hw to the gw?

Am confused.

So, on my SE inverter, it currently has a wireless zigbee card and antenna. In my attic, I have a zigbee bridge, which hard wired to my intranet system. The wireless zigbee card connects to the zigbee bridge, and everything works fine.

So, what happens when installs cannot get a hw to the gw?

the solar gateway is that "wireless zigbee bridge you have hard wired to your intranet system". The installers hand it to you and tell you to go plug it into your router / network. I am not talking about the zigbee connection between the inverter and the solar gateway, I am talking about the hard wired connection the solar gateway (little black box) requires.

I guess I could post a picture as that would likely explain better.
IMG_0646.jpg

IMG_0645.jpg

IMG_0647.jpg

This ethernet connection is the only connection to your home network that this device supports. Note, this has nothing to do with powerwalls. There are two devices called "gateway" by tesla. One is this little "solar gateway", the other is the gateway device that controls the powerwalls and provides power switching etc. These are not the same devices.

Maybe thats where the confusion is coming from.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: MCNE
OP,

My neighbor has had a solar city system that was installed a few years ago. Even with my gateway hard wired into my router just weird I'm still having issues. Gateway is in same place it has always been

My neighbor has had a solar city system that was installed a few years ago. Even with my gateway hard wired into my router just weird I'm still having issues. Gateway is in same place it has always been
Given your graph above, I do think that there is an issue with communication between the gateway and the device that provides the missing grid data, though I do not know the cause. That you are seeing solar data indicates that the gateway is running and communicating with your inverter.

There have been rare cases where neighbors have had issues with the devices pairing to the wrong gateway. I'm not saying that's what is happening here, but it is conceivable.

I was virtually certain that this was the case, actually. I have good news and bad news for you as I dealt with this exact scenario.

I will give you the TL ; DR version first, and then attempt to explain a bit further later.

TL ; DR... The only thing you can do is power cycle your inverter and "hope" your inverter connects back to your solar gateway. There is nothing else you can do to make this device connect. It is not your fault it is not connecting. Your inverter is connected to your neighbors solar gateway.

=================================

Slightly longer explanation, as explained to me by tesla when I had this exact thing happen. I preface this with I am not a network technician, but am in IT and familiar with networking in general etc.

The solar gateway provides a connection to the inverter as we know, to report back to tesla solar generation. The way the inverters are configured (especially older ones before this past year or so) is that the inverter will simply connect to "the closest" tesla gateway it can find. when you took your solar gateway down, your inverter simply re connected to your neighbors solar gateway.

The inverters also tend to try to stay connected to "the last" gateway they connected to, so now, even though you have your new solar gateway plugged in, your inverter is still connecting to your neighbors tesla solar gateway. The only thing that is going over that connection (per tesla ) is solar generation data.

One thing you can do is call tesla and make sure they have assigned your new gateway to your account. Even with that done, it does not guarantee that your inverter will connect to YOUR solar gateway. Power cycling it may work or may not and there isnt much you or tesla can do especially if your neighbor still has the solar city "little white box" gateway which puts out a stronger signal than these newer little black box ones.

the solar gateway is that "wireless zigbee bridge you have hard wired to your intranet system". The installers hand it to you and tell you to go plug it into your router / network. I am not talking about the zigbee connection between the inverter and the solar gateway, I am talking about the hard wired connection the solar gateway (little black box) requires.

I guess I could post a picture as that would likely explain better.
View attachment 626111

View attachment 626110
View attachment 626109

This ethernet connection is the only connection to your home network that this device supports. Note, this has nothing to do with powerwalls. There are two devices called "gateway" by tesla. One is this little "solar gateway", the other is the gateway device that controls the powerwalls and provides power switching etc. These are not the same devices.

Maybe thats where the confusion is coming from.
Yep, confusion. So what I am hearing is one needs a solar gateway hardwired. Check. Then the PW gateways wireless talk to the solar gateway. Check. Just like my zigbee wireless card in my inverter talks wireless to the zigbee gateway which is hard wired.

So in theory, back to the OP, changing the router should have no impact since the solar gateway is still HWed, and PW gateway should still have name and password to the solar gateway wireless part.

Is that right?

I was virtually certain that this was the case, actually. I have good news and bad news for you as I dealt with this exact scenario.

I will give you the TL ; DR version first, and then attempt to explain a bit further later.

TL ; DR... The only thing you can do is power cycle your inverter and "hope" your inverter connects back to your solar gateway. There is nothing else you can do to make this device connect. It is not your fault it is not connecting. Your inverter is connected to your neighbors solar gateway.

=================================

Slightly longer explanation, as explained to me by tesla when I had this exact thing happen. I preface this with I am not a network technician, but am in IT and familiar with networking in general etc.

The solar gateway provides a connection to the inverter as we know, to report back to tesla solar generation. The way the inverters are configured (especially older ones before this past year or so) is that the inverter will simply connect to "the closest" tesla gateway it can find. when you took your solar gateway down, your inverter simply re connected to your neighbors solar gateway.

The inverters also tend to try to stay connected to "the last" gateway they connected to, so now, even though you have your new solar gateway plugged in, your inverter is still connecting to your neighbors tesla solar gateway. The only thing that is going over that connection (per tesla ) is solar generation data.

One thing you can do is call tesla and make sure they have assigned your new gateway to your account. Even with that done, it does not guarantee that your inverter will connect to YOUR solar gateway. Power cycling it may work or may not and there isnt much you or tesla can do especially if your neighbor still has the solar city "little white box" gateway which puts out a stronger signal than these newer little black box ones.
could you not try to have him get his neighbor to unplug his solar gateway for a little bit which he powered his up?

Yep, confusion. So what I am hearing is one needs a solar gateway hardwired. Check. Then the PW gateways wireless talk to the solar gateway. Check. Just like my zigbee wireless card in my inverter talks wireless to the zigbee gateway which is hard wired.

So in theory, back to the OP, changing the router should have no impact since the solar gateway is still HWed, and PW gateway should still have name and password to the solar gateway wireless part.

Is that right?

Other than the fact you keep saying "PW gateway" when this is the solar gateway, not the powerwall gateway, correct, it "should" have no impact, but see my other post on what is likely going on which mirrored my own situation with that specific little black box device.

EDIT.. I just re read what you wrote again in the quote above:

1. Solar gateway hardwired, check (correct).

2. Powerwall gateway wireless talk to solar gateway

no, the solar gateway talks to the inverter, and has nothing to do with the powerwall gateway whatsoever. The powerwall gateway only gets installed if there are powerwalls, while the solar gateway is present in both solar only and solar+ powerwall installs done by tesla.

3. In theory, nothing should be changed for OP if they simply replaced the solar gateway (correct). There is no powerwall gateway in this OPs install, as there is no powerwall in this install. The powerwall gateway does have wireless, etc but does not exist in a solar only install so is not relevant to this thread or discussion.

Last edited: