Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Network Survey

Will you participate in the Tesla Network of FSD fleet?

• Yes

• Maybe

• I'll drive to Mars and back before I let anyone use my car

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I like having the ability to leave things in my car I wouldn't be able to do that if it was part of the Tesla network. I also work in the middle of nowhere I drive 83 miles each way I don't have enough extra range even if there was a market for the Tesla network near work as there is no charging near work.

Now if the car can more than pay for itself on the Tesla network I might buy a new one and then put my current one on the Tesla network to pay for the new one. I don't see it being able to make that much money long term though. If I am able to make more than enough money to pay for the car with it operating on the Tesla network why is Tesla selling any cars. They could just make them and put them on the Tesla network themselves and make even more money than selling them. For the first year it might be able to make decent money but over time I see it making less and less.

If we assume for a moment this evolution in mobility is inevitable, I'm sure creative solutions will be found by the insurance underwriters and the regulators. You just need a market that is creative enough. I'd keep an eye on Norway and China if a U.S. jurisdiction can't solve this first.

Interestingly enough Elon didn't seem interested in addressing this when asked about how will Tesla introduce this to municipal regulators similar to what others are doing in the same space (basically dismissing geofencing and map driven solutions).

I think there is a fundamental problem (economical) in letting private users join the Tesla Network. You can do this either Uber way (screw drivers, in this case - owners, by shifting as much as possible in liabilities to the owner but taking fixed revenue cut), or by taking on the liabilities (insurance, etc.) and optimizing the costs. Why would you want private cars, instead of owning them (by Tesla)? Having control means you can operate more efficiently.

Tesla, I assume, understands that (their leasing offer indicates that fact; but they just want to buy their own cars cheaper in 3 years, shifting major depreciation expense to the lease holders).

In other words, I think the only reason Tesla is really saying that you will be able to earn money from Tesla network is to raise demand NOW, by setting this expectation. But obviously only corporations will earn real money from robotaxis.

If we assume for a moment this evolution in mobility is inevitable, I'm sure creative solutions will be found by the insurance underwriters and the regulators. You just need a market that is creative enough. I'd keep an eye on Norway and China if a U.S. jurisdiction can't solve this first.

Interestingly enough Elon didn't seem interested in addressing this when asked about how will Tesla introduce this to municipal regulators similar to what others are doing in the same space (basically dismissing geofencing and map driven solutions).

‘Creative insurance solution’ at fleet level is to self-insure. This is it. You just accept the liability, pay no premiums. You don’t even need to assess risks, as you are not required to price the insurance for itself.

‘Creative insurance solution’ at fleet level is to self-insure. This is it. You just accept the liability, pay no premiums. You don’t even need to assess risks, as you are not required to price the insurance for itself.

Then it won't be good enough to entice users to join. As a potential user sharing one of my personal use cars, I want Tesla to give me a solution that removes any insurance-related doubts from my mind. Will my insurance company allow me to use my car on the Tesla Network? Will they raise my rates, as they might if I'm an Uber/Lyft driver?

Provide a simple, attractive, low-cost insurance option that covers both personal and Network use, and make it available to users who share on the Network. If it's done as a not-for-profit benefit to users of Tesla Network, it might incentivize more use of the Network. Or perhaps the more you share, the less you pay for insurance.

Then it won't be good enough to entice users to join. As a potential user sharing one of my personal use cars, I want Tesla to give me a solution that removes any insurance-related doubts from my mind. Will my insurance company allow me to use my car on the Tesla Network? Will they raise my rates, as they might if I'm an Uber/Lyft driver?

Provide a simple, attractive, low-cost insurance option that covers both personal and Network use, and make it available to users who share on the Network. If it's done as a not-for-profit benefit to users of Tesla Network, it might incentivize more use of the Network. Or perhaps the more you share, the less you pay for insurance.

Like I said, Tesla will cover insurance costs, possibly via self-insuring. They will have to act as primary insurance. I don’t see why your insurance company will disagree in that case, as it will reduce their exposure to possible claims, most likely.

Reactions: woodisgood
Like I said, Tesla will cover insurance costs, possibly via self-insuring. They will have to act as primary insurance. I don’t see why your insurance company will disagree in that case, as it will reduce their exposure to possible claims, most likely.

Ah my bad - by "self-insure" I thought you were referring to the individual and that Tesla would take a hands-off approach on the insurance side of things.

I think there is a fundamental problem (economical) in letting private users join the Tesla Network. You can do this either Uber way (screw drivers, in this case - owners, by shifting as much as possible in liabilities to the owner but taking fixed revenue cut), or by taking on the liabilities (insurance, etc.) and optimizing the costs. Why would you want private cars, instead of owning them (by Tesla)? Having control means you can operate more efficiently.

Tesla, I assume, understands that (their leasing offer indicates that fact; but they just want to buy their own cars cheaper in 3 years, shifting major depreciation expense to the lease holders).

In other words, I think the only reason Tesla is really saying that you will be able to earn money from Tesla network is to raise demand NOW, by setting this expectation. But obviously only corporations will earn real money from robotaxis.

You misunderstand Teslas purpose.

They want as many EVs on the road replacing gas cars as possible.

That's more important than running the most cost-efficient taxi system possible.

The way toward that goal involves getting as many EVs as possible replacing as many ICE miles as possible- that would requiring including privately owned EVs to participate.

You misunderstand Teslas purpose.

They want as many EVs on the road replacing gas cars as possible.

That's more important than running the most cost-efficient taxi system possible.

The way toward that goal involves getting as many EVs as possible replacing as many ICE miles as possible- that would requiring including privately owned EVs to participate.

Why would Tesla only allow to operate Tesla Network on its own instead of selling EVs to Uber, Lyft, etc? They are forced to use ICE and generate a lot of ICE miles, instead of buying Teslas.

Why would Tesla only allow to operate Tesla Network on its own instead of selling EVs to Uber, Lyft, etc? They are forced to use ICE and generate a lot of ICE miles, instead of buying Teslas.

Nothing stops lyft or uber drivers from buying Teslas.

In fact quite a few already do. Last time I was out in CA I got rides in several Model X and S vehicles using Uber for example.