Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla new steer-by-wire, that'll be a HELL NO for me....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was not aware migrating from a typewriter to a laptop required trusting a safety critical system to a company that has a reputation for releasing half baked software to the public.
Tesla is half-assing the software to the critical system risking human lives, that your insight. Think you’re onto something. Should put all that you have into shorting Tesla…pronto.

I propose a battle to victory for this steer by wire vs throttle by wire debate. We take two separate cars and start driving somewhere fun; let's say Tail of the Dragon. I'll roll a dice and exactly that many minutes into the drive I will cut the steering wires for the driver who prefers steer by wire and cut the throttle wires for the driver who prefers throttle by wire. Whoever emerges with the least damage wins.

Not even a little bit. They have a 100% mechanical link to the master cylinder, that drives the slave cylinders. Nothing requires any electricity to operate.

Sure, the assist is electric driven, and the auto stop is too, but when all the electricity shorts to ground, or battery dies, you can still stop, just might take more effort.

Drive by wire means only electric signals transmit the command to operate the actuators that do the work. Without electricity, the whole things just stops working at all. Not a fan.

No fall back.
So I guess you've never flown in an airplane before - Steer by wire
Worried about what if the battery dies -- really? So what happens to the electric motors that push the truck around of the battery dies?
Oh yeah it stops to

I mean Tesla's quality control is even worse than the 737 Max so...
Worried about what if the battery dies -- really? So what happens to the electric motors that push the truck around of the battery dies?
The steering is run by the low voltage (well "medium voltage") battery. Pretty much everyone here has experience with Tesla's LV battery failing for no reason.

Believe the new 48v systems tap into the main battery, with the voltage stepped down to 48V. In order for the 48V system to stop, the main traction battery would need to fail. If that happend the car would immediately coast to a stop.

Believe the new 48v systems tap into the main battery, with the voltage stepped down to 48V. In order for the 48V system to stop, the main traction battery would need to fail. If that happend the car would immediately coast to a stop.
There’s an intermediate 48v battery that is charged from the HV battery just like other EVs have an intermediate 12v battery.

Oh yeah it stops to
Apples and oranges. Planes have decades of experience with it.

I'm sure it can be made safe, but I'm not betting Tesla did all their homework, given what I've seen so far.