Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla new steer-by-wire, that'll be a HELL NO for me....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

timk225

Mar 24, 2016
Pittsburgh
Tesla has some great technology, but some things should not be trusted to computers and electronics, and removing the physical steering parts of the car is one of them. As it is now, if the autopilot computer EFFS up, you can grab the wheel and take over. But when you trust the computer to do ALL the steering.... NO.

I won't buy a car with steer by wire technology. Not gonna happen.

I heard the rumor that the Project Highland M3 will have it. I have doubts on that.
Technology like this should not be sold in the masses to prevent any issues that might occur.
If this is coming, I would think it would only be on less likely on the M3P models only.
Most likely, this will go on the S/X first before they introduce it to the 3/Y.
Personally, I love that idea of a DBW, and can't wait to test drive one first before I decide.

Flying an airplane on wires is one thing, but you'd lose a lot of road feel by doing it in a car. Back when I had my old 1971 Plymouth Valiant, I'd be out on rough roads and feeling the whole experience in a car with worn out shocks, no sway bars, marginal brakes, and the cheapest used tires I could find. Sometimes a good thing, sometimes not.

• Informative
Reactions: father_of_6
I'm not buying any steer by wire car, but I can see that at some point it could prove as reliable as mechanical steering.

My 1986 Land Cruiser had the pitman arm fall off the steering box, luckily 3 houses down from mine. All steering gone. Any system can fail. So choose your poison. What bugs me right now about steer by wire is the need for electricity to drive it. We all know about dead batteries, happens all the time. How would you steer a dead car? Solvable, but I've not seen the solution, so I'm not comfortable with it.

Reactions: GSP
Our cars accelerate by wire, and they even brake by wire when you're one-pedaling it. There's no reason steer-by-wire couldn't be just as reliable as those subsystems. I would presume auto manufacturers, including Tesla, would have drivetrain software engineers working on that, and not the web designers (no disrespect intended, but there is a huge difference in a web site crashing and your drivetrain system spontaneously rebooting).

Tesla has some great technology, but some things should not be trusted to computers and electronics, and removing the physical steering parts of the car is one of them. As it is now, if the autopilot computer EFFS up, you can grab the wheel and take over. But when you trust the computer to do ALL the steering.... NO.

I won't buy a car with steer by wire technology. Not gonna happen.
Our breaks are by wire bud..

Reactions: buckets0fun