Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla no longer selling NEMA 6-50 Adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I believe I ordered one as a 'just in case' when I got my car. Let me double check. Since I don't think I will ever use it, I'm willing to part with it.

I need one of these adapters. I just got my P85 today and I want to use the oulet I was using for my Leaf. The outlet is a NEMA 6-50R and from what I am reading and learning, there is some adapter (which I think you had at one time) that works with my Tesla cable.

If you no longer have it, do you know where I might find one?

Thanks,

Robert Pack

I need one of these adapters. I just got my P85 today and I want to use the oulet I was using for my Leaf. The outlet is a NEMA 6-50R and from what I am reading and learning, there is some adapter (which I think you had at one time) that works with my Tesla cable.

If you no longer have it, do you know where I might find one?

Thanks,

Robert Pack

You may have to call around to some of the service centers to see if they have one left. It's been a long time, though, and any stock may have been completely depleted.

Guys, I am pretty clueless with home electrics. I have just literally purchased my first new Tesla (at last) and delivery is due today. My Garage has a 6-50 adapter and I didnt realise the Tesla needed a 14-50 .

If i purchase the adapter 6-50 to 14-50 will that work ? Simply plug in the Tesla connecter cable to the adapter ?

Apologies if i sound more stupid than normal!!

No need to apologize!

If you are *certain* you've got a 6-50 in your garage, then the 6-50 UMC adapter is what you'll need. But, I'd double-check the outlet, just to be sure.

The UMC does not actually require a 14-50, that's just one of the adapters included. As you can see in the online shop, there are a bunch available. What you'd be ordering from Tesla is not a 6-50 to 14-50 adapter. The adapter for sale should probably technically be called a UMC to 6-50, since the UMC uses a proprietary connector. However, just so you know, it is also possible to find and safely use a true 6-50 to 14-50 adapter. This kind of adapter could be a little cheaper, and might give you some more total cable length, if you need it. Tesla does not sell these.

Word of caution. As you might have learned from this thread, Tesla has a long history of being very unreliable with UMC adapter availability. So, if you see something you need (or could imagine needing in the future), I'd recommend picking them up. Personally, I have a spare for the one I use the most, the 10-30. And I'm glad I bought two, because shortly after I did it became and remains unavailable.

Guys, I am pretty clueless with home electrics. I have just literally purchased my first new Tesla (at last) and delivery is due today. My Garage has a 6-50 adapter and I didnt realise the Tesla needed a 14-50 .

If i purchase the adapter 6-50 to 14-50 will that work ? Simply plug in the Tesla connecter cable to the adapter ?

If you have a 6-50 outlet, you can buy the 6-50 adapter and use it instead of the 14-50 adapter. I would also suggest you check the electrical panel to see if the 6-50 outlet has a 50 amp breaker or fuse since many 6-50 outlets aren't installed with a 50 amp outlet as they were installed for welders or other devices which aren't "continuous use". If it doesn't have 50 amps then you will need to manually set the amps that the car will use when charging. Typically on a 50 amp outlet you would be able to use 80% or 40 amps when charging. Last December, I used my brothers 6-50 outlet and found out after a couple hours that it only had fuses (yes, fuses, not a circuit breaker) and they were only rated for 40 amps. I blew the fuses and had to buy replacements and install them before I could charge with his outlet again. I manually set the car to only use 32 amps (80% of 40 amps) and didn't have any problems charging after that.

No need to apologize!

If you are *certain* you've got a 6-50 in your garage, then the 6-50 UMC adapter is what you'll need. But, I'd double-check the outlet, just to be sure.

The UMC does not actually require a 14-50, that's just one of the adapters included. As you can see in the online shop, there are a bunch available. What you'd be ordering from Tesla is not a 6-50 to 14-50 adapter. The adapter for sale should probably technically be called a UMC to 6-50, since the UMC uses a proprietary connector. However, just so you know, it is also possible to find and safely use a true 6-50 to 14-50 adapter. This kind of adapter could be a little cheaper, and might give you some more total cable length, if you need it. Tesla does not sell these.

Word of caution. As you might have learned from this thread, Tesla has a long history of being very unreliable with UMC adapter availability. So, if you see something you need (or could imagine needing in the future), I'd recommend picking them up. Personally, I have a spare for the one I use the most, the 10-30. And I'm glad I bought two, because shortly after I did it became and remains unavailable.

Mattmass, I really appreciate the information. I have definitely got a 6-50 in my garage . I will order the adapter now. Thanks

Reactions: mattmass
If you have a 6-50 outlet, you can buy the 6-50 adapter and use it instead of the 14-50 adapter. I would also suggest you check the electrical panel to see if the 6-50 outlet has a 50 amp breaker or fuse since many 6-50 outlets aren't installed with a 50 amp outlet as they were installed for welders or other devices which aren't "continuous use". If it doesn't have 50 amps then you will need to manually set the amps that the car will use when charging. Typically on a 50 amp outlet you would be able to use 80% or 40 amps when charging. Last December, I used my brothers 6-50 outlet and found out after a couple hours that it only had fuses (yes, fuses, not a circuit breaker) and they were only rated for 40 amps. I blew the fuses and had to buy replacements and install them before I could charge with his outlet again. I manually set the car to only use 32 amps (80% of 40 amps) and didn't have any problems charging after that.

MorrisonHiker, great information and much appreciated. I will check the electrical panel and see what breaker it uses . Hopefully it is a 50 amp. Thanks for the help.

No you can not assume it is on a 50A circuit. You need to check.
The charging for the Model 3 hasn't been announced yet. It might have a different UMC or it might be the same as the S/X. We don't know for sure yet, so don't buy anything now for Model 3 charging. You'll know in a few weeks.

Had this installed in my garage when our house was built a year ago....Can I assume it is on a 50A circuit or do I need to go to the box and make sure? Also, is this Tesla — NEMA 6-50 the adapter I need. If I buy a 3 (assuming is has a similar set up to the S, will all I need extra is that adapter?

Thanks!
You should go to the box to double check. I would buy one if I were you in case Tesla runs out again. I would be surprised if the charging cable is different for the Model 3, but it might be a good idea to hold out a few weeks to be sure.

You should check the breaker and make sure. My brother has a 6-50 outlet in his garage but it was only installed on a 40 amp breaker since it was intended for use with a welder. If it is on a 50 amp circuit then the 6-50 adapter would automatically set it to the maximum of 40 amps when charging.
No this is an incorrect and dangerous statement. The car does not know what amp circuit the UMC is plugged into. It only knows what adapter is being used. With a 6-50 adapter the car sets 40A no matter what circuit it's on, assuming it's a 50A circuit (80% of 50A), but that assumption can be incorrect. If it's a 40A circuit then drawing 40A is dangerous. It needs to be turned down manually to 32A. This is why you need to check the breaker and be sure what the circuit is.

Reactions: CSFTN
IMG_8108.JPG

IMG_8110.PNG

Hmmm I thought our home contract said it got its own dedicated circuit but I'm not sure if I can figure out if it has its own or not. They look like normal breaker switches to me but I know almost nothing about electricity. Can you guys tell anything based on these two photos?

Our breaker panel "map" says the car charger is the second attached breaker switch set down from the top on the left side of the box. The second pic is a pic of the outlet and whatever wiring was leading to it prior to our garage being finished. Any insight is appreciated. Thanks.