Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Norway Event (Oslo March 6th)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ehh, I misread. He was not hinting that it was likely to happen, what does that mean? Likely it won't happen? Why mention it in the first place?
My reading of it is that he wants to say it is technically possible, but from George's actions there are absolutely no plans to make it happen, so don't expect it to happen.

By the time the Model S has aged enough for a new pack or upgrade, Tesla may be focusing on a new model (like Gen III or the next Roadster). Kind of like how with the focus on the Model S (then Model X) any upgrades for the Roadster (which clearly is technically possible) is on the back burner and might never happen. It make take until Tesla has reached the stage where they have their lineup all fleshed out before they have R&D resources free to develop upgrades for existing cars.

So more confusion on the whole upgradable pack front?

"I think the chances are yes" Elon's response to a customer asking if the Model S could have a better battery pack available in five years.

Now, he did stop himself to say he has to be careful what he commits to. Elon then looked at GB, who then playfully gestured back something like ~ "I may have to knock you out if your mouth starts putting us into hot water."

So, I was quite encouraged by the whole exchange that there's a good chance packs will be able to be upgraded, though there is no definitive word.

Have a look yourself, in post #35 on this thread the event can be played, and this two minute exchange happens 57:30 into the recording.

(I'll also add, why would Elon go on to explain how Model S architecture (intelligence in pack that can communicate it's own parameters to the car) has added this possibility where Roadster didn't have it if they are not at least considering offering upgrades).

OK, so I didn't go to the store event but to the reception at the US ambassador's mansion which was held just before (Elon went straight from the ambassador's villa to the store). Here are some interesting tid-bits that I picked up at the reception:

- I asked Elon directly if the current 85kWh battery could accept 120kW input from a supercharger. He answered by first briefly explaining that for maximum SC rates you need to be at a lower SOC and he said it would begin to taper off at about 75% SOC (real life experience on these forums suggest that tapering starts way before that, but I think he meant that substantial tapering starts around 75% SOC). Then he answered my question by saying that yes, the battery can take 120kW but currently we are capping it at 94-96kW but the plan is to gradually increase the peak charging rate as we gather more experience with usage of the superchargers. And he also mentioned that he wasn't sure if they would ever get to (allow) the 120kW output or cap it at a lower rate.

- Another guest (Roadster owner) asked about Range charging, he said that he had been told numerous times by Tesla representatives to be very careful with range charging since this will "damage" the battery, and what about warranty if you have Range charged a lot? Elon's answer was basically that you shouldn't be afraid of Range charging, just know that it will result in slightly faster degradation of the battery. In fact he said that you can choose to range charge every single day and this will not void the battery warranty, but you have to expect faster degradation if you choose to do this. He also said something like "we need to talk to our sales reps about not scaring people when it comes to range charging, but to simply inform them about the faster degradation they can expect".

- One person asked about the Hyperloop. He said some thing about it that he has said before (good for connection between densely populated areas/cities no more than 1000 km apart, etc. etc.) but he then went on to say that he didn't want to talk too much about either this subject or his plans for electric airplanes right now, since he felt that he needed to focus on Tesla and Space X and that "you can spread yourself too thin" and that "the markets" won't like it if he doesn't seem like he is focusing all of his time and efforts towards his current companies. The follow up question from this guest was whether he feels in some way "held back" by Tesla currently, and he answered that to an extent yes, but right now his main goal is profitability, since "it's been 9 years without profits" and "no matter how great the product, if the company is not profitable it won't survive". (This made me happy to hear as a stock owner).

All in all I got a really nice impression of him, he was very eager to engage in discussions and seemed very down to earth. I could sense the dynamic between him and Blankenship where George is constantly eves-dropping and checking what Elon is saying and when he goes too far with for example making promises he cuts in and stops him. There is something slightly "robotic" about Elon, they way he talks, his body language, the way looks at you etc. which gives me some associations to people I've met in my line of work (MD) with Aspberger syndrome, though I want to be very careful not to pass any kind of judgment I think it's obvious that you would need some a bit special personality traits to get to where he has come with all his ideas and companies. Though, he would never have gotten to where he is if he didn't have social skills as well, and I think he had great social skills just there was a certain vibe about him that was a little special.

Thanks for that Johan. I can definitely see how he'd feel held back by Tesla. creative types like to build not maintain. Tesla is nearing maintain mode (especially once gen 3 is out).

also I would agree re: Elon's personality, though most... Well, geniuses (I hesitate to say that, but lets use it here) have personality quirks and a little social awkwardness.