Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MX - Is removing 2016-2017 6S or 5S/7S middle row easier?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All!
I'm buying my second Tesla soon, trying to get a free supercharging MX in Norway and plan to camp in it.

Have read all the threads on this forum I could find regarding removing the center row to help with camping:
What I haven't been able to determine is if it would be easier to remove the 3 seat bench seat in the 5S/7S or the two captains chairs in the 6S. Does anyone know?

Thanks in advance!

I don't think it's easy to remove any of the seats, I think you end up with errors?

The 5S/7S "bench seat" is foldable, though. You should be able to camp quite comfortably without removing anything?

Note that many/most/all? 7-seaters in 2016-2017 have non-foldable captain seats. It's just like the 6 seat setup but with extra captain seat in the middle. I'm not sure when it changed to the "bench seat" setup, maybe 2018?

• Informative
Reactions: Krash and Bestla
Hi All!
I'm buying my second Tesla soon, trying to get a free supercharging MX in Norway and plan to camp in it.

Have read all the threads on this forum I could find regarding removing the center row to help with camping:
What I haven't been able to determine is if it would be easier to remove the 3 seat bench seat in the 5S/7S or the two captains chairs in the 6S. Does anyone know?

Thanks in advance!
You can sleep in the back of a 5-seater without removing anything. Just fold down the rear/mid seat and you a flat space that can sleep two.

I think around August 2017 is when the 7 seater got the foldable second row bench and matte seatbacks. Earlier 7 seaters with glossy seatbacks are not foldable.
The gloss/matte setback change did not happen at the same time as the foldable 7-seats. The gloss/mattte change was reported in April 2017

And the foldable seats was reported July 2017

So it is possible to have matte/non-foldable 7 seater. But it is true that all gloss backs are non-foldable.

Reactions: Bestla
So the 5S and 7S on the 2016-2017 that may have free supercharging could also fold? I'm not seeing that in pictures of them...
How's this possible? I thought the three seats in the 5-seat configuration doesn't fold...

Hmm sorry, I wasn't clear in my original posting. :)

2016-2017 August:

5S: folding rear seat
6S: non-folding captain seats
7S: non-folding captain seats

after 2017 August:

5S: folding rear seat
6S: non-folding captain seats
7S: folding seats

So it's only 7S that changed in 2017 August.

But anyway, I'm pretty sure if you want to have folding seats and FUSC your only choice is the 5-seater.

So I purchased a 2016 MX 6s P100DL and am going to go through the process to remove the middle row so I can drive it around Europe and camp... wish it didn't have the drawbacks that have been discussed in other threads (inoperable third row, error warning), but I think it's going to be fun...

Removing the seats isn't that hard. The errors are annoying and will potentially prevent software updates - HOWEVER - when I first removed the powered pedestal seats from my 7 seat 2016, there were no errors until I (stupidly) messed with the "seats" menu screen. DON'T DO THAT and you might just get away with it until there's a software update. If you try to leave the modules under the floor, you will have to leave the airbags too, or you will get errors. It doesn't seem to mind the airbags missing if the entire seat is missing.

Thanks for the advise @geordi … I’ll stay out of the seat menu, hope it works.

I’m mostly disappointed about losing use of the third row of seats, would be nice to have the seats when I might need them, and someone mentioned that if you even accidentally lift the headrest you have to install the second row seats again just to get it down… major pain… strange they’re not simply mechanical. C’est la vie

I don't know about that - Mine now has the folding bench in the second row and a service center WAS able to get the configuration change to take, after I made the suggestion that they needed to apply the change to the SERVER configuration and not just to the car - it kept changing back when it powered up. You'd think they would have known that.....

But IIRC my third row still worked, and worked independently even when the second row were out and the folding bench was in and not configured. So you might also get away with it. You can test this by just unplugging the second row before you remove them, and then try the third row. If it locks, you can plug it back in and reset, and then not mess with that again. If it works, you are good.