Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla not honoring price on LR RWD M3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Went to the Tesla location in Raleigh, NC on Sunday 4/14 and agreed to purchase a LR RWD M3. They had one in stock. I was very specific to the sales person that I Autopilot and FSD were important features to me. According to him, the one in stock had autopilot already and he would just have to add the FSD option for $5K. The car was listing at $47K, so he quoted me a final price of $52K. Worked for me, so I did the order online at the dealership and everything was good to go (so I thought.) When I got home and checked my email, the PDF did not list the FSD option and only had the car at $47K. Called Tesla on Monday and they said "no problem, we can add it on". They did, but now the car is showing at $55K. Called back and spoke to them again this morning and they told me that "we had the wrong info on Sunday and the off-menu options don't include AP, so your upgrade cost is $8K for AP/FSD package." Needless to say, I am pissed. I was sold a particular car at a particular price and feel completely lied to. The person I spoke to on the phone was completely disinterested and was all "that's how it is".

Does anyone have any suggestions? My actual sales rep has yet to return my call despite multiple messages. I feel very lied to at this moment and it is greatly souring what was a pretty happy experience. I just want the car for the agreed upon price. If they screwed up, it shouldn't be my problem.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 person
Went to the Tesla location in Raleigh, NC on Sunday 4/14 and agreed to purchase a LR RWD M3. They had one in stock. I was very specific to the sales person that I Autopilot and FSD were important features to me. According to him, the one in stock had autopilot already and he would just have to add the FSD option for $5K. The car was listing at $47K, so he quoted me a final price of $52K. Worked for me, so I did the order online at the dealership and everything was good to go (so I thought.) When I got home and checked my email, the PDF did not list the FSD option and only had the car at $47K. Called Tesla on Monday and they said "no problem, we can add it on". They did, but now the car is showing at $55K. Called back and spoke to them again this morning and they told me that "we had the wrong info on Sunday and the off-menu options don't include AP, so your upgrade cost is $8K for AP/FSD package." Needless to say, I am pissed. I was sold a particular car at a particular price and feel completely lied to. The person I spoke to on the phone was completely disinterested and was all "that's how it is".

Does anyone have any suggestions? My actual sales rep has yet to return my call despite multiple messages. I feel very lied to at this moment and it is greatly souring what was a pretty happy experience. I just want the car for the agreed upon price. If they screwed up, it shouldn't be my problem.

It’s an honest mistake on their part, and you shouldn’t look to take advantage of honest mistakes. My rep mistakenly told me autopilot was included on my 35k when it wasn’t. I just let it go. Tesla is a young company, and you shouldn’t try to play lawyer with a young sales rep. I know it’s not what you want to hear but it’s my honest opinion.

I don't really think you have much recourse here, it completely depends on the staff you're dealing with.

No paperwork was drafted and you didn't sign anything. As they've said, the representative that originally told you that the car had AP made a mistake. No money has been exchanged yet.

If you were to say put a deposit down on agreed on specs, that might be a different story, but even then they're still not obligated to give it to you for free, they could just refund your deposit in that situation.

I don't really think you have much recourse here, it completely depends on the staff you're dealing with.

No paperwork was drafted and you didn't sign anything. As they've said, the representative that originally told you that the car had AP made a mistake. No money has been exchanged yet.

If you were to say put a deposit down on agreed on specs, that might be a different story, but even then they're still not obligated to give it to you for free, they could just refund your deposit in that situation.

I did put the $2500 down while at the store so I do feel it was a contract. And to the earlier comment, this isn't about trying to "play lawyer" or "take advantage of a young company/sales person" (especially as my sales person was in his mid-50s). It's that we agreed upon a spec level and price for the car and I ordered it. $3000 is a significant difference and they shouldn't have people out there selling these cars if they don't know what they are talking about, you know? Since I can't order an LR RWD directly myself anymore, I am at the mercy of their sales staff. I don't think I am being unreasonable at all.

And if it ends up being a refund, so be it.

I did put the $2500 down while at the store so I do feel it was a contract. And to the earlier comment, this isn't about trying to "play lawyer" or "take advantage of a young company/sales person" (especially as my sales person was in his mid-50s). It's that we agreed upon a spec level and price for the car and I ordered it. $3000 is a significant difference and they shouldn't have people out there selling these cars if they don't know what they are talking about, you know? Since I can't order an LR RWD directly myself anymore, I am at the mercy of their sales staff. I don't think I am being unreasonable at all.

I purchased online so I'm not completely familiar with the process.

If you place your order through one of their computers, I believe they use a similar online portal if not the same portal. Did you have to click through and select color of vehicle and features, and add autopilot, etc?

If there was a feature summary before submitting your payment, then IMO you are at fault just as much as they are. I'm the type of person that reads through everything when it involves large sums of cash, no matter what the person helping me is telling me.

When I purchased my house, I sat and read through everything, literally line by line.

Reactions: GreenT

You definitely are trying to get an advantage. May not be a young sales rep, but he was still naive. You know that LR Pricing would not make total sense relative to the LR AWD and you want something for free that a naive sales rep said. You shouldn’t go on a forum and cognitively distance yourself from your actions. If you are getting something that wasn’t offered to everyone because someone didn’t know correctly, it was a mistake, and you shouldn’t be high hollering.

Also, the 2500 deposit was for a specific spec that did NOT include autopilot. Therefore, you don’t have a legal right to get it. Also, in the spirit of the law, even if it did have autopilot on your order sheet, you don’t have a right to the mistake.

You seem like a reasonable person though, and I am likely being harsh, but all those people saying you should just pound the table until you get what you want is what is wrong with our society. Tesla is a young company tying to do good in this world. If you made a mistake, Tesla wouldn’t hold your feet to the fire. Cut it some slack, and be fair.

The First MVPA didn’t include AP/FSD? Alternatively you can ask to see the Moroney sticker for the vehicle to confirm options and pricing.

...but all those people saying you should just pound the table until you get what you want is what is wrong with our society. Tesla is a young company tying to do good in this world. If you made a mistake, Tesla wouldn’t hold your feet to the fire. Cut it some slack, and be fair.

So let me make sure I am understanding you fully...

1.) On 4/11, Tesla makes a blog post stating that all Tesla's will now include autopilot, and the prices have been adjusted to include autopilot. An Update to Our Vehicle Lineup
2.) On the same day, the SR and LR RWD Model 3's were removed from their webite, and you now have to order from a showroom.
3.) Multiple people received order agreement showing that autopilot was included on both SR and LR RWD models.
4.) Current orders for the LR RWD model show "Included" when clicking on the "Upgrade autopilot" button on Tesla's website (just confirmed, still showing this today, 6 days later).
5.) Sales advisors have told people that autopilot will be included with their purchase now, and that the LR RWD and SR models are still the same price as they were on 4/10 and prior.

All of this, and it's a mistake? You honestly believe that Tesla spent the time to tell everyone that "All Tesla vehicles" would include autopilot, but then really didn't mean what they said? They provided order agreements stating the same, a handful of MVPA's stating the same, sales advisers stating the same, and their own website shows the same for anyone with an outstanding order, and it's still a mistake?

I'm sorry, but 5 days after the fact it becomes false advertising. They haven't received numerous phone calls from customers requesting credits and aren't taking the time to fix their mistakes, that would be the first thing management would demand.

I agree 100% with fighting to get what you were promised. The more the consumer just sits back and accepts being lied to at their expense, the more companies will continue to do so.

I purchased online so I'm not completely familiar with the process.

If you place your order through one of their computers, I believe they use a similar online portal if not the same portal. Did you have to click through and select color of vehicle and features, and add autopilot, etc?

If there was a feature summary before submitting your payment, then IMO you are at fault just as much as they are. I'm the type of person that reads through everything when it involves large sums of cash, no matter what the person helping me is telling me.

When I purchased my house, I sat and read through everything, literally line by line.

The showroom orders the AWD just like the online portal then they send a order modification request to the factory or a team handling the off menu to change it to a RWD. You never actually see the actual RWD pricing summary anywhere and you can only take their words for it when you place the order.

You definitely are trying to get an advantage. May not be a young sales rep, but he was still naive. You know that LR Pricing would not make total sense relative to the LR AWD and you want something for free that a naive sales rep said. You shouldn’t go on a forum and cognitively distance yourself from your actions. If you are getting something that wasn’t offered to everyone because someone didn’t know correctly, it was a mistake, and you shouldn’t be high hollering.

Also, the 2500 deposit was for a specific spec that did NOT include autopilot. Therefore, you don’t have a legal right to get it. Also, in the spirit of the law, even if it did have autopilot on your order sheet, you don’t have a right to the mistake.

You seem like a reasonable person though, and I am likely being harsh, but all those people saying you should just pound the table until you get what you want is what is wrong with our society. Tesla is a young company tying to do good in this world. If you made a mistake, Tesla wouldn’t hold your feet to the fire. Cut it some slack, and be fair.

I am not going to argue with you, but you are wrong. The spec that Tesla showed me online in the store clearly stated AP was included in the $47K cost. The sales rep confirmed it and the store manager confirmed it. Their response is that because of all of the changes over the last week there was miscommunication. But as I said, that isn't my fault. I am not trying to get the car for $30K or something, but they should honor what they sold me. Regional manager is working on it now. And to be clear, I am being very respectful to them. No table pounding (yet!). :)

• Love
Reactions: GreenT and solodogg
@btradio

**begin soapbox**
Sorry they changed the price on you. But it appears to be a genuine error, not dishonesty or a lie. In my experience, the customer facing Tesla staff are often put in situations like this because Tesla keeps changing prices too frequently and doesn't provide enough information, process, or systems for their customer facing staff. So don't be too upset. I don't they lied to you, they made a mistake.

I understand your position that it wasn't your fault and that they should sell it for what they originally led you to believe. But that would also mean that they will have to sell the car to you at a lower price than what another customer pays for a similar configuration at the same time you are buying the car. Most of us despise dealerships and went to Tesla because they charged everybody the same price based on the prices the company has set for that moment. So there is some unfairness at a larger level if they give you a discount.

If you are going to buy a Tesla, you have to be prepared for this type of disorganization during your ownership. If you are not ready for that, show them with your wallet – don't buy the car.
**end soapbox**

All that said, I hope you buy the car. It is an excellent car from a disorganized company. You will be happy even at list price. Good luck.

OP,

I’m having a hard time understanding your numbers. Can you itemize what upgrades you have built into this price so we can confirm if they are giving you the right number. The base price of a LR RWD is $44,500. AP is $3K, FSD is $5K, so total price is $52,500. So if he is quoting you $55,000 you must have $2,500 in upgrades in there?

There was confusion last week when the SR and LR RWD options were removed from the website. These two models do not have AP built into the price like the models that are on the web site. Initially some Tesla reps assumed they did and misquoted people $3,000 too low as a result.

Worth noting is that the three models on the website had price increases of only $2,000 but now include AP. The SR and LR RWD models did not have any price increases but cost $3,000 for AP. So both of these models become a bit less compelling if you plan to purchase AP. Alternately, if you don’t want AP, both of these models represent great values since you are not paying for an option you don’t want.

Last edited:
Raise hell until you get what you want. This is not a small purchase and Tesla needs all the customers and sales they can get. Don't take no for an answer.
d77.jpg

I'm not understanding this either. But you did start by saying they had what you wanted "in stock" so it doesn't sound like you were ordering a custom build through the design studio. They apparently thought their list price included the AP, since all will include AP in the future, but if it was already built and ready to deliver, then AP could easily not be included, even if they thought it was. I'm having a hard time figuring out what the config was for that price? My LR RWD was $49k last May without AP. AP would have been another 5K (I believe) with FSD another $3k at the time. So a LR with FSD came in at $59k. I know the prices fluctuate, but you're saying you were getting a price of $47k with AP and told another $5K would get FSD. That's $52k. That's a huge difference that would be sending bells off in my head. I might think "holy crap, they missed something here. It can't be right." But I certainly wouldn't think it was. I would expect them to come back and say "Uhh, sorry about this, but we screwed up. That's not the price". But I still feel your frustration. But it also seems like you are trying to take advantage of a substantial mistake on their end.

I'm in the exact same situation:

I reached out to a Tesla store rep inquiring about LR RWD (off menu) 04/12/2019. I was told I'd have to either buy from existing inventory (slim pickings) or purchase an AWD from the website and they would change it to RWD on their backend (8 weeks eta). My rep told me that there was a "special" that autopilot would be included free for the inventory vehicles, so I jumped and placed my order.

Receive my order confirmation email and no "autopilot included" so I immediately call back and am told "don't worry, we will do it on delivery". Considering that the deposit is refundable until delivery, I decide to trust the rep and proceed with my order.

04/13/2019 Receive a call from the rep stating that he was incorrect and that AP would not apply to my inventory LR RWD 3 and I would have to pay an additional $4,000 if I wanted it enabled (talk about bait and switch). I told him I would think about it and get back to him.

However, I noticed the following on my "Tesla My Account":

myaccounttesla-jpg.397243

As you can see, Autopilot is not included in my "build details" and I have the "Upgrade to Autopilot" option however once there, it claims I have autopilot included and the only upgrade available is FSD.

My delivery date is coming up so I'll see how this plays out.

Keep me posted (and check your My Account , I'm curious)

If you uncheck the box for FSD you might get a button to add Autopilot for Additional Due $0.

However, when I pushed that button last week, it went ahead and added $3000 to the cost. Not sure how to know whether that’s fixed.

IHowever, I noticed the following on my "Tesla My Account":

As you can see, Autopilot is not included in my "build details" and I have the "Upgrade to Autopilot" option however once there, it claims I have autopilot included and the only upgrade available is FSD.

My delivery date is coming up so I'll see how this plays out.

Same situation here...and i'm taking delivery tomorrow morning. I'm not getting my hopes up, but we shall see how this plays out...