Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla not honoring referral code

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My uncle gave me his referral code to use when I ordered my M3. I couldn't use it when I ordered the car because it was only valid on the MS, MX, and PM3. I placed my order on 9/29. On 10/4 they changed the referrals to be eligible on all M3s ($100 superchaging credit). I called Tesla and tried to get the code applied. No one could do it. They told me to wait for the delivery adviser to contact me, then I could add it. My VIN was assigned on 10/8, delivery on 10/14. They had my referral code before I took delivery (via email). Now the referral program has changed again, and I should also qualify for 6 months of free supercharging. The delivery manager is now saying I don't qualify for anything. I'm thinking of escalating.

Any advice?

You can try escalating but your order is just like any order when Model 3 came out, no referral allowed.

Tesla also allowed P3D referral after I ordered mine. While they honor the unlimited supercharging, you cannot retroactively apply a referral code either.

My uncle gave me his referral code to use when I ordered my M3. I couldn't use it when I ordered the car because it was only valid on the MS, MX, and PM3. I placed my order on 9/29. On 10/4 they changed the referrals to be eligible on all M3s ($100 superchaging credit). I called Tesla and tried to get the code applied. No one could do it. They told me to wait for the delivery adviser to contact me, then I could add it. My VIN was assigned on 10/8, delivery on 10/14. They had my referral code before I took delivery (via email). Now the referral program has changed again, and I should also qualify for 6 months of free supercharging. The delivery manager is now saying I don't qualify for anything. I'm thinking of escalating.

Any advice?
I was told the same thing. Technically, it's fair. The order was placed knowing full well that the referral did not apply.

If you didn't purchase S/X or Model 3 performance in the date range then you couldn't have used the referral. It's pretty cut and dry.

Also do you have a source for all model 3's being eligible as of 10/4 because the soonest I heard all Model 3s were available is when they switched it to six months supercharging 3 days ago.

edit: ah I found it. Yeah, you could try escalating that.

If you didn't purchase S/X or Model 3 performance in the date range then you couldn't have used the referral. It's pretty cut and dry.

Also do you have a source for all model 3's being eligible as of 10/4 because the soonest I heard all Model 3s were available is when they switched it to six months supercharging 3 days ago.
The referral program on Tesla's site on 10/4.

You are freaking out this much over a $100 credit? I've had my car 6 months, 9300 miles and have maybe used $50 on Supercharges.
I'm actually a little surprised that Tesla just didn't give it to you, because you've probably made them spend that much on the phone.

And I'm really sorry, I don't remember the program saying it was retroactive

You are freaking out this much over a $100 credit? I've had my car 6 months, 9300 miles and have maybe used $50 on Supercharges.
I'm actually a little surprised that Tesla just didn't give it to you, because you've probably made them spend that much on the phone.

And I'm really sorry, I don't remember the program saying it was retroactive
$100 supercharging credit will last me like the life of my car

I gave my referral code to a friend who got his SR+ a couple of months ago. The supercharger credits have not appeared on either my account or his. We have pinged Tesla many times about this and they keep telling us they are looking into it. I have given up and never expect to get these credits. In the future, I will not be using referrals as a motivation for other buyers - I will tell them how much I love the car and sell them on how good it can be for them. I may still have them try for the supercharger credits but will warn them not to expect those to be provided ever. Sad but true.