Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Not installing on Metal Tile Roof?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tried to get an install quote last year and was told Tesla does not install on Metal roofs. I'm wondering if Metal Tile Roofs would be different?

Anyone has had Tesla install on their Metal Tile roof? Before I go in and get another quote?

attaching a photo of the roof

Attachments

• Roof.jpg
    Roof.jpg
    265.9 KB · Views: 989
Don’t know why they don’t but I recently saw another poster on here state the same thing when they inquired about an installation.

Could be the teams just aren’t trained on them and too few requests to justify the training.

Oh wow, I had that exact metal tile roof when I bought my house. Installed by a previous owner, very sturdy and lasts for at least 50 years, but really rare - have yet to see another, and replaced ours when we remodeled including the roofline.

I think with the modern metal roofs, installers have to use special techniques and non-penetrating mounts with the standing seams. These metal tiles would need their own special techniques since they're neither like clay tile nor asphalt shingle. If you drill through them in the wrong place, for example, how do you patch a hole without making it stand out?

Prob not worth Tesla's time with their cookie-cutter pricing and approach to deal with.

Its known as "Stone coated metal" or "Cal-pac" and is basically a formed metal tile covered in aggregate to look like a regular shingle.

You will need to use J-Hooks, and Tesla doesnt want to deal with the uncommon roof types so they decline the job. You'll need to go else where for your PV needs.

• Helpful
Reactions: jjrandorin
They are indeed a thin-gauge metal sheet, the front part is bent down to form a lip and give the appearance of a thick solid tile. Coated with small gravel. Sturdy enough to walk on, no problem.
If it's similar to mine, although sturdy enough to walk on, it's also slippery.

Attachments

• New_X_1.jpg
    New_X_1.jpg
    483.4 KB · Views: 268
Tesla does install on some types of Metal roofs. When I inquired with Tesla to see what types of roof they install panels on they responded with this:
Here is the requested info in regards to which roof types we do and do not install on.

Eligible Roof Types for pitched roofs

• Composition Shingle
  • Flat (concrete) Tile
  • Standing Seam Metal
  • Round/S/W (concrete) Tiles
  • Corrugated Metal

Eligible Roof Types for Flat Roofs

• Rolled/Torchdown
  • Foam

Ineligible Roof Types

• Rubber
  • Slate
  • Wood Shake
  • Clay Tile
  • Metal Shingle
  • T-Lock
  • Tar and Gravel
  • Cedarlite Tile
  • Trellis
  • Membrane
  • Carport
  • Ground Mounts2222222222

Tesla does install on some types of Metal roofs. When I inquired with Tesla to see what types of roof they install panels on they responded with this:
Here is the requested info in regards to which roof types we do and do not install on.

Eligible Roof Types for pitched roofs

• Composition Shingle
  • Flat (concrete) Tile
  • Standing Seam Metal
  • Round/S/W (concrete) Tiles
  • Corrugated Metal

Eligible Roof Types for Flat Roofs

• Rolled/Torchdown
  • Foam

Ineligible Roof Types

• Rubber
  • Slate
  • Wood Shake
  • Clay Tile
  • Metal Shingle
  • T-Lock
  • Tar and Gravel
  • Cedarlite Tile
  • Trellis
  • Membrane
  • Carport
  • Ground Mounts
Hi, I had a conversation with the tesla representative who came out to do a site survey yesterday about their ability or inability to install on a Corrugated Metal roof. He said they have been unable to do those installs. Do you happen to have any kind of reference to the list above? Either a website they gave you or the email address from the person that sent it to you? Any help is appreciated. Thanks, Larry

Hi, I had a conversation with the tesla representative who came out to do a site survey yesterday about their ability or inability to install on a Corrugated Metal roof. He said they have been unable to do those installs. Do you happen to have any kind of reference to the list above? Either a website they gave you or the email address from the person that sent it to you? Any help is appreciated. Thanks, Larry
Tesla refused to install on my PBR panel metal roof on my detached garage. Worked out for the best as I wanted a microinverter based system anyway, and the company I went with put on 200 amp disconnects/subpanel/meter box per my request. Tesla solar needs to get their act together.