Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla now RENTS solar panels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Keep us updated on this. Curious how long you are between install and PTO.

Mine are going up today! :D

View attachment 487114

So yesterday City of Peoria and APS came out to do the derate down to 175amps and finaled with the city. APS then pulled my old meter and put a new one on (not sure why, this house is a new build. Could be a reverse meter or whatever it's called). The solar system meter is still not on there. In my APS account, there is a note in the application status that says they received approval today, so hoping within the next week or so I get PTO!

Solar install - 11/26
Derate/City Final - 12/11
APS PTO - unknown at this time

• Informative
Reactions: destructure00
For those of you installing rental systems, can I ask what you'd normally pay for electricity per kWh?

Our home is all electric (meaning we can use upwards of 2,000 kWh in a cold month), so I feel like we could really benefit from a solar system. I don't know if Tesla would ever consider rolling out solar rental in Maryland though because our electricity may be too cheap to make it financially viable. We pay at most, $0.15 per kWh.

I would just take out a loan to pay for the solar system, but we're still paying off the car loan from our Model 3 :D

For those of you installing rental systems, can I ask what you'd normally pay for electricity per kWh?

Our home is all electric (meaning we can use upwards of 2,000 kWh in a cold month), so I feel like we could really benefit from a solar system. I don't know if Tesla would ever consider rolling out solar rental in Maryland though because our electricity may be too cheap to make it financially viable. We pay at most, $0.15 per kWh.

I would just take out a loan to pay for the solar system, but we're still paying off the car loan from our Model 3 :D

Depends on the plan. The one I'm one (Saver Choice Max) is as follows:

On-peak: .08683 summer / .0656 winter per kwh
(On peak is 3-8pm M-F excluding holidays)
Off-peak: .0523 per kwh
Demand charge: 17.438 summer / 12.239 winter per kw
(Demand charge is highest on-peak kw draw each month)

APS buys excess power at .1045/kwh

I have some smart home stuff that I've set up to manage our on-peak demand. Since the buy rate is higher than even the on-peak rate, I'm hoping that I can avoid as much demand charge as possible and sell back enough power to cover a significant portion of my bill. Tesla's estimate was that I'd save $100/month even after paying $100/month for the system. We'll see....

• Helpful
Reactions: willow_hiller
So I have a question for those that know anything about the renewable tax credit. With renting this system, I am aware that the tax credits are transferred to Tesla, which is vital in making this make financial sense for them (rental/subscription).

My question is - essentially for Tesla to be able to claim the tax credit, final PTO has to be granted by the utility in calendar year 2019 right?

I just got off the phone with APS trying to find out when PTO might occur, and they literally said not within the next couple of weeks based on the information they currently have. Apparently they are still waiting for checklists and such (city approval 12/11), which then take 2 weeks to review, and then another 10 days to schedule a meter to be installed.

This is no skin off my back obviously, especially since Tesla dropped the ball early on in the process with my specific system.

Edit: To be eligible for the 30% tax credit, Tesla needs to have PTO by 12/31/2019, otherwise it drops to 26% if PTO is granted for example 1/1/2020.

So I have a question for those that know anything about the renewable tax credit. With renting this system, I am aware that the tax credits are transferred to Tesla, which is vital in making this make financial sense for them (rental/subscription).

My question is - essentially for Tesla to be able to claim the tax credit, final PTO has to be granted by the utility in calendar year 2019 right?

I just got off the phone with APS trying to find out when PTO might occur, and they literally said not within the next couple of weeks based on the information they currently have. Apparently they are still waiting for checklists and such (city approval 12/11), which then take 2 weeks to review, and then another 10 days to schedule a meter to be installed.

This is no skin off my back obviously, especially since Tesla dropped the ball early on in the process with my specific system.

If you're talking about the Federal tax credit, I believe it drops from 30% to 26% in 2020. I don't think it's going away entirely.

Edit: To be eligible for the 30% tax credit, Tesla needs to have PTO by 12/31/2019, otherwise it drops to 26% if PTO is granted for example 1/1/2020.
For commercial projects, there's something called "safe harbor" that could still allow Tesla lock in the 30% rate: Understanding ‘safe harbor’ for extending your 30 percent solar ITC qualification - Renewable Energy World

More pics. They broke a bunch of roof tiles, should be back tomorrow morning to replace them, finish testing (they ran out of sunlight on Wednesday), and paint the conduit on the roof.

Super nice guys, very professional. Looks like a good job other than the tiles.

IMG_20191213_143812~2.jpg
IMG_20191213_143827~2.jpg
IMG_20191213_151930.jpg
IMG_20191213_151747.jpg
IMG_20191213_151742.jpg
IMG_20191213_152153.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
More pics. They broke a bunch of roof tiles, should be back tomorrow morning to replace them, finish testing (they ran out of sunlight on Wednesday), and paint the conduit on the roof.

Super nice guys, very professional. Looks like a good job other than the tiles.

View attachment 487954 View attachment 487955 View attachment 487956 View attachment 487957 View attachment 487958 View attachment 487959

Looks great, a very clean install. No Powerwalls I'm assuming? My October install in out in Queen Creek, while I love it, is a total mess compared to your install. They added 5 or 6 (I'd have to go count) big and small boxes and meters to the outside of the house, and including inverters and panels like 6 more inside the garage with conduit everywhere, and then four PWs. Covered almost every square inch of two inside garage walls, and the outside of one wall. I hope they upgrade the codes and such for new homes to just include what's needed in the near future.

Looks great, a very clean install. No Powerwalls I'm assuming? My October install in out in Queen Creek, while I love it, is a total mess compared to your install. They added 5 or 6 (I'd have to go count) big and small boxes and meters to the outside of the house, and including inverters and panels like 6 more inside the garage with conduit everywhere, and then four PWs. Covered almost every square inch of two inside garage walls, and the outside of one wall. I hope they upgrade the codes and such for new homes to just include what's needed in the near future.
Whoa, that sounds like a mess. No PWs for me.

Tesla came back out to finish testing and commissioning the system today. When he tested the system (around noon I think) it was putting out 3.5kw. Not terrible considering the split panel arrangement (6 each facing S/W/E) and the sun being further south in the winter I guess. Will be interested to see how much it generates in the summer.

I guess the roof tiles replacement job was big enough that they are going to sub it out to a roofing company, so that will hopefully happen soon.

The wait begins for inspection and PTO...

Congrats! Sounds great. I'm missing the AZ sunshine (used to live in Tucson). Right now in MA if it's not cloudy, it's raining and if it's not raining then it's snowing; which is the worst since the panels make nothing until the snow melts which sometimes takes days and days of wasted sunshine!

Whoa, that sounds like a mess. No PWs for me.

Tesla came back out to finish testing and commissioning the system today. When he tested the system (around noon I think) it was putting out 3.5kw. Not terrible considering the split panel arrangement (6 each facing S/W/E) and the sun being further south in the winter I guess. Will be interested to see how much it generates in the summer.

I guess the roof tiles replacement job was big enough that they are going to sub it out to a roofing company, so that will hopefully happen soon.

The wait begins for inspection and PTO...

City inspection happening tomorrow...

Reactions: SOULPEDL
City inspection happening tomorrow...
Did not pass yesterday, Tesla guys left the original plans for the inspector to review prior to me downsizing the system. So the install did not match the plans the inspector was reviewing. Looks like Tesla came out today and replaced the old plans with the correct ones, so hopefully I'll see a second inspection soon.

City inspection passed for me today. After hearing the good news from the Tesla inspection coordinator, I went to look at the inverter. He left it on, so I quickly ran back out to him to ask him about it. He said it's fine to leave it on. "PG&E doesn't care." Thoughts on leaving it on?

Reactions: destructure00
Did not pass yesterday, Tesla guys left the original plans for the inspector to review prior to me downsizing the system. So the install did not match the plans the inspector was reviewing. Looks like Tesla came out today and replaced the old plans with the correct ones, so hopefully I'll see a second inspection soon.

Passed inspection today. Next up PTO!

Reactions: JayClark
Passed inspection today. Next up PTO!

so Tesla Utility Team contact FINALLY called me yesterday to say that installer checklist and other utility requirements would be sent over to APS. They also said that apparently it’s a 3-4 week wait after that, pushing this into January. Ugh.

Initial rental application - 9/5
Install - 11/26
Main breaker derate / city final - 12/11

so Tesla Utility Team contact FINALLY called me yesterday to say that installer checklist and other utility requirements would be sent over to APS. They also said that apparently it’s a 3-4 week wait after that, pushing this into January. Ugh.

Initial rental application - 9/5
Install - 11/26
Main breaker derate / city final - 12/11
Jeez....hopefully APS will move quicker than that.

City inspection passed for me today. After hearing the good news from the Tesla inspection coordinator, I went to look at the inverter. He left it on, so I quickly ran back out to him to ask him about it. He said it's fine to leave it on. "PG&E doesn't care." Thoughts on leaving it on?
Welp, good thing I read in another thread to call the PG&E Solar hotline to check if they have all the files they need to start the review for PTO. I called and it turns out Tesla still hasn't paid the interconnection fee nor uploaded the approved building plans that passed inspection. It's been over a week since the city inspection passed.