Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla now repairing MCU1 with a new Tegra card for less than $500

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Great point, however the only metric Tesla has is to track the write cycles, outside of rooted cars it is hard to see any info about a controller failure outside of the symptoms of corruption.

Shutting down updater daemon is not a viable solution for owners unless tesla implements.

a DIY guide would likely result in many bricked cars, I have no proof, just wild guessing.
Well, my articles are only for those well-versed in Linux and able to do the technical work, as certain third-parties are Tony.

I have no idea what you mean by 'DIY guides resulting in bricked cars'. I have had these articles up in one form or another since 2015, and you for one have made lots of money off of my information. Do you intend this as an assault? Tell me now, sir.

Shutting down cid-updater is the best way to reduce unnecessary logging, if you have any sense.

Last edited:
Our MCU1 from 2016 also shows some typical early signs of a failing eMMC and we already have a service appointment 2 days before the warranty ends in September (though we are definitely going for the 4J warranty extension).

The question is now, how do I get our service center to exchange that daughterboard (or the whole MCU)?

Can they diagnose the eMMC error or do they only run any tests on the Tegra board / MCU that does not show if the eMMC is failing?

I somehow have the suspicion that they will tell me, that our eMMC is still fine and will not exchange anything prematurely.

Also, is this information correct, that the upgrade to MCU2 is still not available outside the USA (I am here in Europe)?

Our MCU1 from 2016 also shows some typical early signs of a failing eMMC and we already have a service appointment 2 days before the warranty ends in September (though we are definitely going for the 4J warranty extension).

The question is now, how do I get our service center to exchange that daughterboard (or the whole MCU)?

Can they diagnose the eMMC error or do they only run any tests on the Tegra board / MCU that does not show if the eMMC is failing?

I somehow have the suspicion that they will tell me, that our eMMC is still fine and will not exchange anything prematurely.

Also, is this information correct, that the upgrade to MCU2 is still not available outside the USA (I am here in Europe)?

Tesla can diagnose the write cyles for the chipset but I guess Tesla will only replace it if there is a black screen.
Some people claim a full factory reset will put a lot of stress on the chip and will most likely kill it if its already weak.

So a couple weeks ago my facelift 2016 Model S greeted me one morning with a black MCU screen. The car still started and ran, but no HVAC controls or radio or blinkers as far as I could tell.

So I immediately made an appointment through the app for service and the car has been down there for one week today. My car is just a few hundred miles out of warranty so I figured my only options were full MCU1 replacement or what they call now the infotainment MCU2 upgrade. Come to find out that because my car doesn’t have a power lift gate that the infotainment upgrade is not an option as of now.

So I just got off the phone with Tesla service here in Reno and they tell me they are now replacing the Tegra card and that my total in parts and labor for repair of the MCU1 is $490. I glanced at the estimate and it looks like the Tegra card is $120 part and the rest is labor and diagnostic fee. It seems pretty palatable since I thought I was going to be in at $1000 or more for a repair.

Just thought I would relay my experience for the benefit of others. Also they told me that part could be a week or two away.

Post the invoice when it is completed please

Did anyone check if they used a bigger (double) sized eMMC with twice the capacity? They can probably make the thing last decades(?) if only the file system always has more than half of the available cells free to cycle through when they have to write something onto the flash memory. If anyone in tesla is reading this, tell the engineering management to try a cheap bigger eMMC to make the problem go away.

EDIT : This only works if they delete old stuff that's not needed and keep lots of free space (half of total would be a good idea).

Last edited:
Well, my articles are only for those well-versed in Linux and able to do the technical work, as certain third-parties are Tony.

I have no idea what you mean by 'DIY guides resulting in bricked cars'. I have had these articles up in one form or another since 2015, and you for one have made lots of money off of my information. Do you intend this as an assault? Tell me now, sir.

What I mean is a DIY guide to attempt to cover every single current and future firmware to disable cid-updater would likely brick a lot of cars where non well-versed Linux owners attempt to disable their logging.

I have no clue why you think I want to assault you? So please look for someone else to do that.

As great as a solution you have, most owners cant implement it.

Did anyone check if they used a bigger (double) sized eMMC with twice the capacity? They can probably make the thing last decades(?) if only the file system always has more than half of the available cells free to cycle through when they have to write something onto the flash memory. If anyone in tesla is reading this, tell the engineering management to try a cheap bigger eMMC to make the problem go away.
EDIT : This only works if they delete old stuff that's not needed and keep lots of free space (half of total would be a good idea).
Back up to post #24 in this thread to find your answer.
Tesla now repairing MCU1 with a new Tegra card for $500

Message I received yesterday re part ordered:

Additional parts have been ordered for servicing your car. We will send you updates twice a week until your service is completed.

Parts Ordered
  1. MSX MCU PC TEGRA DAUGHTERBOARD-PROVISIONED (64GB)
    Part #: 2728211-S0-A
    Order Date: August 12, 2020
Does anyone think the "64GB" refer to a more robust eMMC chip than on the original?

Message I received yesterday re part ordered:

Additional parts have been ordered for servicing your car. We will send you updates twice a week until your service is completed.

Parts Ordered
  1. MSX MCU PC TEGRA DAUGHTERBOARD-PROVISIONED (64GB)
    Part #: 2728211-S0-A
    Order Date: August 12, 2020
Does anyone think the "64GB" refer to a more robust eMMC chip than on the original?
yep

Reactions: Akikiki
My car is out of warrantee and MCU failed, black screen and car would not drive. I had PIN to drive set so it may have driven if that were not the case. Roadside assistance towed it to Watertown MA service center and they did not charge me for the tow, it was over 2 hours for the truck to arrive due to having to send a second truck. The replacement part was going to be a $1200 refurbished part. Then they called and said Tesla engineering has a new technical procedure they would try. It worked. Total charge was $195 for labor and diagnostic. They said the MCU was 100% working and should be good for another 2 years. But I should be prepared to upgrade at a future date. This was about 3 weeks ago. Hopefully this technical procedure works for some of the soft failures. Seems like it could be a scheduled service to avoid the tow and loss of my car for a week.
I hope so, but fair warning: they tried some kind of technical procedure with mine back in March and charged me around the same price (I think it was $170 plus tax/whatever). It lasted 2 months.

EDIT: Just looked at the invoice. It was actually $107.25. Here's the description:

"Was able to recover Media Control Unit with offline update. Performed second update via over the air. Both firmware updates completed and touch screen is operating as designed at this time."

• Informative
Reactions: RedOctober
Not sure if this is the same problem or not but after recent upgrade, I cannot connect to 3G cellular. I still can connect to Wifi. Other functions seem fine. Any thoughts ?

Likely the 3G driver/files got corrupted in this update due to the seemingly random way files are written and at this point you see the issue as 3G connection. The issue will likely shuffle around as you update. The root cause is the chip is about to go out in a undetermined amount of time.

Shutting down cid-updater is the best way to reduce unnecessary logging, if you have any sense.

Or send it all to the proverbial linux trash can. With the websocket change I am effectively cut off from tesla now anyway