Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Offer Model 3/Y Frunk Group Buy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
He made removing the struts much harder than it should be. If you do one at a time no need for the basketball he used and removing the top strut first makes it easier as well.

Agree...I just did my install today and pulled them off the top first and did one side at a time. It should have been noted that the struts simply snap on and to mark around the latch before removing. Also, his hands block much of the latch rework and he skims over the plug connections. I think the other vid is a bit better and the instructions on Tesla Offer's site are fairly good.

Reactions: Jmeitz
Mine came in today! Once they ship they go out fast.
File_000.jpeg

I completed the install last night. First, many thanks (seriously) to all those who posted advice and little nuggets of information throughout this thread. Each one helped in one way or another. I also used both the Frugal Tesla Guy and Electrified Garage videos to help with my install.

With all that being said, my experience was that the process is very straight forward. The only physically difficult part was re-engaging the replacement structs (top & bottom). Actually the passenger side was moderate, but the drivers side took some serious effort. The wiring was easy, and then it was basically just tucking wires away and trying not to break trim clips! I did break three...gotta order those.

My only bit of advice would be to try different body positions when working with the struts. I spent over 1.5 hours just on the struts (mostly driver's side) and only at the end did I figure out that if I moved my body more central to the frunk (rather than leaning over the fender) I could put a lot more force on the strut to pop it on/off. Caveat here being I have a bad shoulder, so that made it impossible for me to generate the necessary force while leaned over the fender. YMMV. Oh also, don't start the install after a full days work and after putting your kids to bed...I was really tired when I started and I'm sure that did not help things.

Anyway, well worth it, everything works as advertised and I am happy.

Reactions: 2101Guy