Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Offering 15000 Free Supercharger miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Of course its sneaky - and Tesla have form for this.
They could say 50K free miles - and it creates a sort of value in purchasers minds - but it isn't real is it?

If they wanted to be fair they could of course not put a time limit on it - and that would be fair. 15000 miles after all isn't a lot to Tesla in monetary terms, they will be buying Kwhrs for around 12p - so at 4 miles per Kwhr = £450 (or £720 if indeed its 2.5 miles per Kwhr) Nice to have but most wont be able to use them up
If Tesla are happy to encourage sales with free supercharging miles then why not allow them without a time limit - because they will have factored in the potential costs to them and covered that with the purchase price, however, they will have also calculated what the probable financial costs are to them based on the average user and that's going to be a lot less.

So what's going to happen? - people will supercharge for everything just to try and use up those miles - and that's not particularly healthy for the battery, of course it most likely wont cause degradation of 30% - enough to make a warranty claim but it will increase the heat cycles.

When Tesla eventually satisfy their sales targets, the offer will go and overnight a reduction in the retail price will be announced.

perhaps I'm sceptical - but Elon and Tesla have shafted so many customers so many times, I take everything with a pinch of salt
On that point.... I'm in Ireland, ordered a M3LR in March.
Got the email yesterday to take delivery before the end of June to get the free supercharger miles.

The thing is, we get a new number plate on July 1st here 241 for Jan-Jun, 242 for July to Dec and I can't see any incentive for me to take the car in June which will be on "the last number plate".

I don't care about number plate one-upmanship but it will technically depreciate my car.

They also want me to collect the car from Dublin, again why should I do that for them to meet their sales quarters?

The M3P is €61,000 here. I'd love to get that instead.
If what you say is true and they cut the prices a little then it'll fall into the tax incentive bracket of under €60k and I would go for that in a heartbeat

Out of interest, how does Tesla calculate 15,000 miles of supercharging? surley it would be easier to give you "5,000kwh?" as its all subjective on how efficient the car is? do they calculate it on the rated range of the car or the actual real world range?

The M3P has a WLTP of 328 miles, which realistically is circa 290-300 miles.
FWIW, a friend of the SO's and mine bought a MY earlier this year on a referral, meaning that we got referral points. In the U.S., anyway, this lets one convert the points into various kinds of swag, be it those little trays in the arm rests, enhanced connectivity, various articles of clothing, and so on.

One of the several things we got with the points was 400 miles of free supercharging on our account which, interestingly, has two cars on it: A 2021 MY and a 2023 M3. We've taken several trips on both cars and, no kidding, got the free Supercharging on both. I managed to run the account dry on Sunday :(, and so had to pay $2.03 for the tail end of a Supercharging session in Connecticut.

In the U.S., there's this sticker that comes with all new cars called the Mulroney sticker, named after the Congressperson who, back in the day, wanted consumers to Know What They Were Getting. Of the many things on that sticker, there's the EPA rated efficiency of the car. The MY's sticker had 270 W-hr/mile; the M3's is 260 W-hr/mile.

I've always assumed that the amount deducted from the 400 free miles was Miles_Deducted = (Energy_Used)/(Rated Energy/mile), and that was dependent upon the car.

The WLTP you put up is the range; fine, as far as that goes. What's the WLTP number for the Energy_Use per Distance Traveled? I presume it's in W-hr/km or something.

When I ordered my 3 AWD a couple of months ago I got 15,000 POINTS of loyalty. Very nice.

Took delivery a few days ago and received an email yesterday saying I’ve also got 15,000 free miles but I’m yet to see those. Any idea when they should materialise?

When I ordered my 3 AWD a couple of months ago I got 15,000 POINTS of loyalty. Very nice.

Took delivery a few days ago and received an email yesterday saying I’ve also got 15,000 free miles but I’m yet to see those. Any idea when they should materialise?
Mine was in the app before I even drove off. The guy showed me them in the Tesla app. Can see them in charging.

I was told they appear in the App after the 14 day cooling off period has finished. Not sure how true that is
So many people getting opinions here. Which is why I'm not sure I believe the person that was saying they aren't supposed to expire either as its come from one Tesla employee but there's nothing beyond this.

The whole 14 day cooling off period is bollocks for starters as I had mine the moment I agreed to the T&C's on collection. The Tesla employee showed it to me in the app and frankly that was also the first I knew of it so was a complete surprise.

Been round the houses on this, tesla rep at leeds said there wasnt anything she could do to add the miles onto my account, said they’d speak with a manager and then silence…likely waiting for the 14 day cooling off period to end (2 days time). Then spoke to some miserable sod on the phone (main tesla number) and said no way would they change the promotion to include any car delivered before 7th June - used an example of buying a tv that got discounted week after he bought it - pointed out why wouldnt he just take it back🤣

Alas no further forward, written a compaint email (have to wait upto 10 working days for a reply🙃)

I could cancel and return and then just reorder another stock car but not sure i can be arsed with the hassle - bit of a sour taste but a great car non the less. Charge it 95% at home so not that big an issue and doubt id use the miles that much, a nice gimmick to shift cars but a gimmick non the less

Then spoke to some miserable sod on the phone (main tesla number) and said no way would they change the promotion to include any car delivered before 7th June
Luckily I collected on the 7th!

I think the fact they’ve sent an email stating the following is legally binding….

As a thank you for taking delivery this quarter, you will receive 15,000 miles of free Supercharging*.

Sign in to your Tesla Account to complete any remaining delivery tasks.

So many people getting opinions here. Which is why I'm not sure I believe the person that was saying they aren't supposed to expire either as its come from one Tesla employee but there's nothing beyond this.

The whole 14 day cooling off period is bollocks for starters as I had mine the moment I agreed to the T&C's on collection. The Tesla employee showed it to me in the app and frankly that was also the first I knew of it so was a complete surprise.
Why would the TA lie? What has he to gain? The response was sent on a text with his name and department identified, which covers Scotland and NI TA's and delivery teams

Why would the TA lie? What has he to gain? The response was sent on a text with his name and department identified, which covers Scotland and NI TA's and delivery teams
I don’t think anyone suggested they are lying, but there is clearly a lot of misunderstanding amongst Tesla staff, as some people received the miles straight away. I was told by my delivery rep, it could take UP to two weeks to show in the app.

Well if they only give them after the cooling off period, why would I have mine on delivery day along with other people I saw them showing these in their apps also.

I'd not call it a lie, that's to intentionally mislead. It's more ill-informed and again doubt it's their fault, just a lack of communication from Tesla on it all I imagine.

Reactions: Tomb300
Well if they only give them after the cooling off period, why would I have mine on delivery day along with other people I saw them showing these in their apps also.

I'd not call it a lie, that's to intentionally mislead. It's more ill-informed and again doubt it's their fault, just a lack of communication from Tesla on it all I imagine.
And yours are definitely 15,000 miles not points? I got my 15,000 loyalty points immediately I collected. The 15,000 free miles is something totally different and I don’t have those despite the email.

And yours are definitely 15,000 miles not points? I got my 15,000 loyalty points immediately I collected. The 15,000 free miles is something totally different and I don’t have those despite the email.
Yeah definitely miles. This is from my app.

Screenshot_20240612_211659_Tesla.jpg