Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla offering $30/mo. home charging in Texas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In Houston I believe you still have to pay Centerpoint delivery fee per kWh even with "free nights". It's like get the item for free but you still have to pay shipping. So I hope Tesla's plan is truly free.

Screenshot_20230301-174823~2.png

If you have enough charging at night then it can save you some money. 30 / 0.14 (rate + TDSP) = 214 (7.14 kwh/day). Free nights still win as Tesla only covers EV charging, but there are fewer options going forward. I work from home and charge during solar peak production hours, so it uses less from the grid, and the 1:1 solar excess buyback covers it later, but I am seeing the plan is going away, newer plan either limits the buyback or the rate is at wholesale at 3 cents, less than the TDSP rate at 4.7 cents in my area. One question is does it cover Tesla EV only or any wall charger requirements?

Last edited:
I see that Tesla formerly offered this today for $25/month. It is in the new app under schedule when picking when to charge your car. I’m trying to figure out if this works for me because I’m retired and do not drive all that much. I checked my monthly charging and I charge about 300 KWh/month at home and at $0.112/kWh with Tesla Electric, that seems to work, but I normally try to charge in the middle of the afternoon when I’m producing excess solar, so at those times the cost is about $0.02 to $0.03/kWh. Even for a retired guy who drives one place a day, $25 seems pretty good and if I was still working, I would jump on it.

Attachments

• IMG_0178.jpeg
    IMG_0178.jpeg
    103.8 KB · Views: 36
If it is part of Tesla Electric, probably. I think they sent out this info by mistake and it has now disappeared.
I got an email and checked it out in the app. Now my email has disappeared. However, I was able to see if I qualify, and my house is on their list. But, we have a Model 3 (2018) and a Model Y (2023) and only the MY qualifies. Look at this note on why my Model 3 doesn’t qualify…Your 2018 Model 3 firmware is too low to be used by Tesla Electric. Um what?!? I have FSD and on their latest build. What gives?!

Attachments

• IMG_3053.jpeg
    IMG_3053.jpeg
    78.1 KB · Views: 20
You likely just answered your own question. If you have FSD, and FSD beta, that software is not nearly caught up, feature wise, with the regular software versions. Charge on solar isnt available for cars on FSD beta, for example.
I had always wondered about why,say, my Spotify still has “hearts” instead of +. We have a MY and subscribed to FSD Beta for a trip and it looked like it kept the software separated and still has the new features.

Also wondered since it said “firmware” instead of “software” if I’m missing something. They are usually pretty consistent in their messaging.

I had always wondered about why,say, my Spotify still has “hearts” instead of +. We have a MY and subscribed to FSD Beta for a trip and it looked like it kept the software separated and still has the new features.

Also wondered since it said “firmware” instead of “software” if I’m missing something. They are usually pretty consistent in their messaging.

No one actually subscribes to "FSD Beta". You would have subscribed to Full self driving. Whether you got the beta or not on your model Y I have no idea, but its not possible to subscribe specifically to the beta, and if your software is newer than the beta, then you just get regular FSD.

I dont want to turn this into an FSD thread though, since those go in the specific subforum (so im going to put a pin in that part of the conversation here). I am just saying thats why you got a "firmware too old" email.

Reactions: Frunkenstein