Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla offers to transfer lifetime free supercharging to new vehicle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are you transferring FUSC?
Yes, if I get the car before the end of the year. Although admitedlly it's probably not a huge deal. I charge at home during non-peak times and at the office we have a chargepoint charger that is currently free, so my charging costs are minimal.

I get I could probably get more for my car on the open market (especially for Uber drivers), but I'm not trying to get car jacked selling me car. I'll take less on the trade.

Ok, the parking sensors I get, but $10/month for connectivity would keep you from buying a new car?

64k not including tax tag. Both Red model x beige wood grain upgrade. I use Serius so the $10 falls under the come on guys category, just stupid, should transfer. Argh

I think since I love the car now, not seeing something making me spend 66-70k

Does that mean if you have 3-years of Free Supercharging, from the recent offer, that you can transfer it and it becomes Free Supercharging for as long as you own the new vehicle?
yea the offer says free supercharging.. which I have for 6 years.. it doesn't say anything about unlimited free supercharging. Would this offer still work with the 6-year free supercharging?

Reactions: TFCooper3
I ordered my MSLR on Oct. 4, and while my delivery dates are Oct. 24-Nov. 18, I don't have a VIN yet. I have a trade-in offer from Tesla on my 2020 MS which I probably won't accept. It has SC05 free supercharging.

Do I qualify to transfer my free supercharging to the new MS? Yesterday, I queried my sales guy and another guy who had helped me and haven't heard anything.

Reactions: n2mb_racing
I ordered my MSLR on Oct. 4, and while my delivery dates are Oct. 24-Nov. 18, I don't have a VIN yet. I have a trade-in offer from Tesla on my 2020 MS which I probably won't accept. It has SC05 free supercharging.

Do I qualify to transfer my free supercharging to the new MS? Yesterday, I queried my sales guy and another guy who had helped me and haven't heard anything.
Yes. As long you have not taken delivery yet and you take delivery by 12/31. Call Tesla and they will send you a document to sign for the transfer

Reactions: TFCooper3
Yes, if I get the car before the end of the year. Although admitedlly it's probably not a huge deal. I charge at home during non-peak times and at the office we have a chargepoint charger that is currently free, so my charging costs are minimal.

I get I could probably get more for my car on the open market (especially for Uber drivers), but I'm not trying to get car jacked selling me car. I'll take less on the trade.
It's important to note that Tesla's Supercharger Fair Use Policy doesn't allow rideshare drivers to use free supercharging. I'm sure some do it, but Tesla could crack down on it at some point & remove their FUSC.

Reactions: jrr6415sun
Yes. As long you have not taken delivery yet and you take delivery by 12/31. Call Tesla and they will send you a document to sign for the transfer
I called the sales office in Natick and spoke to a very helpful guy. He was aware of the program but had not processed a request for it yet. After he conferred with a colleague and figured out I was eligible, he emailed me the transfer agreement in pdf form. I quickly signed and returned it.

Importantly, I cannot sell the car before the free supercharging transfers. That transfer will take place when I accept delivery of my new Model S.

I called the sales office in Natick and spoke to a very helpful guy. He was aware of the program but had not processed a request for it yet. After he conferred with a colleague and figured out I was eligible, he emailed me the transfer agreement in pdf form. I quickly signed and returned it.

Importantly, I cannot sell the car before the free supercharging transfers. That transfer will take place when I accept delivery of my new Model S.
Can you share the form here. Removing your personal information of course.

I'm also considering this offer for my 2016.5 P90D.

I'm assuming that FUSC wouldn't be transferable again to another owner if I sold it to a private party...

I take Tesla up on this offers by a new Model X Plaid, turn around and sell it to a private party 6 months down the road... does the new owner get FUSC?

I'm also considering this offer for my 2016.5 P90D.

I'm assuming that FUSC wouldn't be transferable again to another owner if I sold it to a private party...

I take Tesla up on this offers by a new Model X Plaid, turn around and sell it to a private party 6 months down the road... does the new owner get FUSC?
You lose free supercharging on your current SC01 car and you get free supercharging-only-for-you-not-transferrable on your new X. Your old S will have paid supercharging at that point. Selling the S privately obviously won't get the new owner free supercharging again.

Edit: Oh if you sell the X in 6 months.... no the new X will have "FUSC" only for you not the next owner. It's the unlimited-transferring-privately, free unlimited supercharging that Tesla wants off the books.

Reactions: sissupr
I also got the email, had FUSC on my P3D since purchase in 2018, it just recently turned 5. I'm considering a MYP, I'd love a hitch as I've occasionally wanted to use a trailer for carrying large items. Losing premium connectivity is a bummer, and I also have FSD and don't want to buy it again, I would not pay $12k for it (I don't think anyone who has it would pay for it...)

I don't know what my 2018 P3D is worth, looks like maybe $28k in a private sale.

I also got the email, had FUSC on my P3D since purchase in 2018, it just recently turned 5. I'm considering a MYP, I'd love a hitch as I've occasionally wanted to use a trailer for carrying large items. Losing premium connectivity is a bummer, and I also have FSD and don't want to buy it again, I would not pay $12k for it (I don't think anyone who has it would pay for it...)

I don't know what my 2018 P3D is worth, looks like maybe $28k in a private sale.
Agreed. Paid $6k for it 4 years ago. Was told then that that the final version was around the corner - still waiting - still in beta form.

Losing premium connectivity is a bummer
I’ve seen a number of posts mentioning losing “free” premium connectivity. I have absolutely no problem paying $120/yr (after the first year) for premium connectivity when I’m able to transfer my FUSC. The free charging I got two weeks ago on my road trip from the central coast of California to Seattle saved me the equivalent of the cost of three years of premium connectivity.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
So you think Model Y’s less than attractive front end is a major factor in killing sales? I don’t have any proof one way or the other but I suspect that front end was a minor factor for most recent Y buyers like me.

Of course design does matter to each buyer. For example, I bought my 12/2016 after balking on buying an S with what I considered the hideous nose cone. (Did that change help or hurt S sales? I don’t know but they have kept it for seven years.)
I actually like the y. But I have the s with the cone and I like it but prefer the non cone. I used to have a 3 and the front End began to bother me. Kind of in the way a car grows on me the front of the 3 and y did the opposite. If I were to get the y I’d get the performance or long range. With the long range I’d immediately change the wheels or remove the covers forever. The wheel covers on the y are so bad I think it ruins the whole look of the car. Again, just a preference thing but there is nothing sporty or cool about the y wheel covers.

Last edited:
I know most of us will be guessing at this question, but others may be in a similar scenario and has the answer.

One of the "eligibility requirements" on Tesla's offer is:
  1. You are the legal and registered owner of a Tesla vehicle that currently has free Supercharging at the time of delivery of your new Model S, Model X or Model Y.

My MX with FUSC still has a loan on it, and I'd rather not leverage 2 car loans even for a short period. The best scenario for me would be to list it, and when I get a committed buyer, order the new tesla and fill out the transfer paperwork. Loan would be paid off, extra cash in pocket, get a new loan for new Tesla and win...

Problem is.. When the new tesla arrives I won't technically be in compliance with #1 quoted above because I would no longer be the owner of the old vehicle (even though I authorized the transfer).

Thoughts from the Hive?

I know most of us will be guessing at this question, but others may be in a similar scenario and has the answer.

One of the "eligibility requirements" on Tesla's offer is:

My MX with FUSC still has a loan on it, and I'd rather not leverage 2 car loans even for a short period. The best scenario for me would be to list it, and when I get a committed buyer, order the new tesla and fill out the transfer paperwork. Loan would be paid off, extra cash in pocket, get a new loan for new Tesla and win...

Problem is.. When the new tesla arrives I won't technically be in compliance with #1 quoted above because I would no longer be the owner of the old vehicle (even though I authorized the transfer).

Thoughts from the Hive?
NO do not do that. Once you "sell" your car you can no longer "transfer" the FUSC.If you can find someone who will agree to buy it and hold off for the transaction until the transfer has gone through that is fine, but not a moment sooner.