Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla offers to transfer lifetime free supercharging to new vehicle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Exactly, now if only that Model Y had an opening sunroof, a battery heater, and ultrasonic sensors.
If the situation were reversed and Tesla decided to go with ultrasound sensors on newer cars…moving away from Tesla vision, your narrative would probably be that which is down on the change to old-school technology. If ultrasound sensors is all the rage, I have an old Honda you can buy; it also has a sunroof.

If the situation were reversed and Tesla decided to go with ultrasound sensors on newer cars…moving away from Tesla vision, your narrative would probably be that which is down on the change to old-school technology. If ultrasound sensors is all the rage, I have an old Honda you can buy; it also has a sunroof.
Actually I think the problem is they had a solution that worked and decided to go a different direction BEFORE the alternative worked. They put the cart before the horse. I have no problem with them going with a less expensive solution IF IT WORKS. Seems clear from all that the current solution does not work.

I'm going to call BS on that. A quick search and a tool told me that it would take a 25kW heater to heat ~800 lbs. by 20 degrees 12 minutes. Given the heater in the Model S is closer to 3.5kW, it would take more than an hour to heat the battery pack by 20 degrees Fahrenheit.
Today while running errands & the car was parked the battery heater kicked on from activating the HVAC. The battery temp must be 61 degrees or lower for the heater to kick on. The heater stays on until the battery reaches 71-72 degrees. The battery heater ran for 11 minutes per our TeslaFi logs. That means the car heated the battery a minimum of 10 degrees in 11 minutes.
Actually I think the problem is they had a solution that worked and decided to go a different direction BEFORE the alternative worked. They put the cart before the horse. I have no problem with them going with a less expensive solution IF IT WORKS. Seems clear from all that the current solution does not work.
Yes, that's my feeling. It was very disappointing to see USS removed as it has decreased functionality. We parallel park an average of 10-15 times per week so trying to do that without USS would be a major pain. Just this past Saturday I had to park in a rather tight space where I could do it because of having USS that are very accurate so I didn't have to worry about hitting the other vehicles. With vision only I could not make those maneuvers because the distance values have been shown to be wildly inaccurate.

• Informative
Reactions: TSLA Pilot
Today while running errands & the car was parked the battery heater kicked on from activating the HVAC. The battery temp must be 61 degrees or lower for the heater to kick on. The heater stays on until the battery reaches 71-72 degrees. The battery heater ran for 11 minutes per our TeslaFi logs. That means the car heated the battery a minimum of 10 degrees in 11 minutes.
I believe that the battery heater ran for 11 minutes, but I don't trust the temperature thresholds that you claim it runs at. (It isn't physically possible for a 3.5kW heater to heat a Model S battery pack 10 degrees in 11 minutes.)

I believe that the battery heater ran for 11 minutes, but I don't trust the temperature thresholds that you claim it runs at. (It isn't physically possible for a 3.5kW heater to heat a Model S battery pack 10 degrees in 11 minutes.)
Yesterday using Scan My Tesla I watched the battery heater raise the battery temp from 60 to 69 degrees in 10 minutes. After that I had to go & couldn't keep waiting & watching the data to see when it would shut off, but it was very close to shutting off based on my experience.

This is my position as well. Keeping SC01 on an S85D with 100% range of 200-230 mi (depending on city/highway) that recharges at 90 kW maximum if on a 250 kW Supercharger (75 kW max on 150 kW), vs. "stepping down to SC05" on a MYLR with a range of 300 mi (adding some degradation) that hits 200+ kW...it's a lot easier of a sell for family trips when there are fewer stops and each stop is 15-30 min instead of 40 min.
Agreed, it was a big factor. But I am going with a 22" to 20" Tire/Wheel Change and my model X gets around 250 mi. Charge times are excruciatingly slow. Was close for this reason, but then realized most my charges are in town, and it would cost 65K-70K for a new X and I coach so I need the 7 seats.

My decision was to rent a Ford F250 King Ranch for $60 per day for long trips and enjoy the huge space and burn the gas with the 65k saved. It is expensive on gas but I am 6'8" 350lbs so love that extra space. Also why I require the x.

It was a tough call that got a lot easier when i had to give up SC01 and in the end had literally the exact same car, minus some charging and lack of USS.

Frankly, Tesla would have me part with my good friends that I love in the wallet if SC01 was transferable as it would have made the car MUCH more valuable on resale. Imagine telling someone it comes with FREE GAS/CHARGE, it is a HUGE selling point.

With the tax credit only on the 5 seater X base model, it's a huge jump in cost to get any option (interior trim, wheels - though you'd get those separately to not cost yourself 7500...., more than 5 seats.)

Are there laws around how much dealers are allowed (or not allowed) to charge for delivery fee, or other fees? I know this sounds shady, but if the delivery fee was $5k for a 7 seater, or say $2k + some other bogus $3k fee, but the base price was still the same as the 5 seater (~79k), the tax credit would magically apply, and Tesla wouldn't be out any extra money.

I realize this would be skirting the rules a bit, though I bet it would really help drive sales of the multi-seat X's.

(Currently debating ordering a new 7-seater Y or X to transfer the free supercharging, and knowing that the 3rd row would be half unusable in the Y, but an X without a tax credit (7 seater) would cost basically twice as much.)

(Currently debating ordering a new 7-seater Y or X to transfer the free supercharging, and knowing that the 3rd row would be half unusable in the Y, but an X without a tax credit (7 seater) would cost basically twice as much.)

That’s where I find myself at the moment. We hardly use the third row, but on some occasions it has come in handy. My second row (2016 X) does not fold. A newer SUV with folding rows would be a nice amenity for when I haul things for small home improvement projects around the house. Still going back and forth every day - no we don’t need to upgrade, maybe the X, maybe a Y, etc.

Tesla doesn't have "dealers" and the last thing they would want to do is play pricing games that would lose a customer the very tax credit they are advertising.

No the only pricing games come from the C suite :)

Oh wait I see what you meant, but the tax credit is based on the car price as you said, and if you bought a 50k car with a 22k delivery fee the IRS or some state taxing or car regulating agency would likely overrule that.

Just curious if I transferred the FSD to a new vehicle, will I still have EAP on my old vehicle or I lost both? I bought both EAP and FSD in 2017.
The agreement made it very clear that the donor vehicle would only have standard Autopilot after the transfer. (But they aren't currently offering the FSD transfer anymore, you would have had to order before 9/30 and gotten the transfer form filled out back then.)

Just got a Tesla text this morning with a update to FUSC transfer from delivered to ordered by EoY.

"Hey ****** , Are you still interested in the model s to transfer you super charging . They just announced if you place an order on a car before end of the year they will honor it to be transferred."
Just FYI--the text was not 100% accurate as there are some specific details in the small print.

This is a copy-and-paste from Tesla's website, which is a bit limiting (stupidly so, IMHO).

Source:

Note: Tesla will make an exception and honor your free Supercharging transfer request after the December 31, 2023 deadline if all of the following conditions are met:

• You are eligible for the free Supercharging transfer program and agreed to the program’s terms and conditions in writing by December 31, 2023.
  • You were provided with a delivery window in 2023 at the time you placed your order.
  • Your order is for an in-production vehicle available in North America.
  • Tesla did not have a vehicle with your exact configuration available for you to take delivery by December 31, 2023.