Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla offers to transfer lifetime free supercharging to new vehicle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve seen a number of posts mentioning losing “free” premium connectivity. I have absolutely no problem paying $120/yr (after the first year) for premium connectivity when I’m able to transfer my FUSC. The free charging I got two weeks ago on my road trip from the central coast of California to Seattle saved me the equivalent of the cost of three years of premium connectivity.
The psychology of this can work both ways. On the one hand, if I am buying a $62k car, surely $9.99 is nothing, right? On the other hand, I got it bundled with my prior Model 3 and if it's "nothing" then Tesla can bundle it again. The other thing is it's just yet another subscription to add to the apparently infinite subscriptions we all now have - I'm close to $200 a month on average when I include all streaming, cloud, music, news, AppleCare, blah-de-blah. Oh and obviously I know the benefit of FUSC, I've been to Arizona, Colorado and Florida in the last 2 years alone, zero fuel costs. it's great.

Of course if I get a new Tesla, I'll buy premium connectivity. It just niggles, it's just another little step towards the service economy.

Reactions: pilotSteve
I wonder how much more of a depreciation the older cars will take without supercharging? Seems like the only reason people would buy the early years. My 2013 P85+, with only 100k miles is probably worth only $25k if lucky, thinking value might drop a few thousand more without FUSC vs paying maybe a few hundred a year for charging.

I wonder how much more of a depreciation the older cars will take without supercharging? Seems like the only reason people would buy the early years. My 2013 P85+, with only 100k miles is probably worth only $25k if lucky, thinking value might drop a few thousand more without FUSC vs paying maybe a few hundred a year for charging.
The really old cars aren't that great for road trips anyway even with free supercharging due to the slow kW speeds & long charging times. Our 2016 S90D takes longer than a newer car would because of lower peak kW & an earlier taper as the SOC increases.

Reactions: aerodyne
The really old cars aren't that great for road trips anyway even with free supercharging due to the slow kW speeds & long charging times. Our 2016 S90D takes longer than a newer car would because of lower peak kW & an earlier taper as the SOC increases.
This is my position as well. Keeping SC01 on an S85D with 100% range of 200-230 mi (depending on city/highway) that recharges at 90 kW maximum if on a 250 kW Supercharger (75 kW max on 150 kW), vs. "stepping down to SC05" on a MYLR with a range of 300 mi (adding some degradation) that hits 200+ kW...it's a lot easier of a sell for family trips when there are fewer stops and each stop is 15-30 min instead of 40 min.

This is my position as well. Keeping SC01 on an S85D with 100% range of 200-230 mi (depending on city/highway) that recharges at 90 kW maximum if on a 250 kW Supercharger (75 kW max on 150 kW), vs. "stepping down to SC05" on a MYLR with a range of 300 mi (adding some degradation) that hits 200+ kW...it's a lot easier of a sell for family trips when there are fewer stops and each stop is 15-30 min instead of 40 min.
Exactly, now if only that Model Y had an opening sunroof, a battery heater, and ultrasonic sensors.

Except they don't. Do you have data showing that they heat the battery to 70+ degrees to have full regen without limits while parked by turning on the HVAC?
Mine does. (Well, I don't know for sure it is to 70 degrees, since I haven't checked.) It shows the battery heating symbol in the app, and if I started it early enough I have regen when I leave.

It sounds more like you are complaining that they lowered the pre-heat target and that it doesn't allow full regen from a pre-conditioning, not that it doesn't have a battery heater. But that has nothing to do with having, or not having, a battery heater.

Mine does. (Well, I don't know for sure it is to 70 degrees, since I haven't checked.) It shows the battery heating symbol in the app, and if I started it early enough I have regen when I leave.

It sounds more like you are complaining that they lowered the pre-heat target and that it doesn't allow full regen from a pre-conditioning, not that it doesn't have a battery heater. But that has nothing to do with having, or not having, a battery heater.
The resistive battery heater is more effective at heating the battery. With Scan My Tesla you can see the temperature. We don't have to suffer much from limited regen in the winter with our S due to pre-heating via the app & the battery heater. It takes only about 8-12 minutes in most conditions to heat the battery from being perhaps in the 50s to 70+ with the resistive heater. How does the car use the motors to heat the battery while parked?

The resistive battery heater is more effective at heating the battery.
I highly doubt that.
How does the car use the motors to heat the battery while parked?
By running them in a "stalled" state. It can generate ~3kW of heat per motor, plus ~5kW of heat from the heat pump. So, it can put ~11kW of heat into the battery if it uses everything available to it. (v.s. the old Model S only having a ~3.5kW coolant heater.)

Reactions: stevej119 and UNCLe
It takes only about 8-12 minutes in most conditions to heat the battery from being perhaps in the 50s to 70+ with the resistive heater.
I'm going to call BS on that. A quick search and a tool told me that it would take a 25kW heater to heat ~800 lbs. by 20 degrees 12 minutes. Given the heater in the Model S is closer to 3.5kW, it would take more than an hour to heat the battery pack by 20 degrees Fahrenheit.