Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla officially launches Charge On Solar

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was really hoping that they had solved the Powerwall priority issue, but it hasn't worked out as hoped for me. Since my car was at 25% after driving it yesterday, I plugged it in last night, set the charge from anything at 60% and CoS at 80%. I had the car scheduled to start charging at 1:00 am. Woke up this morning at 60%, good, then when the solar started generating it filled the car instead of the PWs. Then, around 11:30 it switched to Powerwall priority, but it starting importing power from the grid to charge the Powerwalls. Irritating. I guess I'll have to do charging manually so that the PWs are filled with solar, then plug in the car after they are full. Grrrrrr.

I was really hoping that they had solved the Powerwall priority issue, but it hasn't worked out as hoped for me. Since my car was at 25% after driving it yesterday, I plugged it in last night, set the charge from anything at 60% and CoS at 80%. I had the car scheduled to start charging at 1:00 am. Woke up this morning at 60%, good, then when the solar started generating it filled the car instead of the PWs. Then, around 11:30 it switched to Powerwall priority, but it starting importing power from the grid to charge the Powerwalls. Irritating. I guess I'll have to do charging manually so that the PWs are filled with solar, then plug in the car after they are full. Grrrrrr.
It seems to be working fine for me on the PW priority. But the whole thing is a bit glitchy still, but mostly ok. Like the feature.

PW is on 23.12.11. All 3x EV of various years are on 2023.26.7. FSD deactivated on all.

It seems to be working fine for me on the PW priority. But the whole thing is a bit glitchy still, but mostly ok. Like the feature.

PW is on 23.12.11. All 3x EV of various years are on 2023.26.7. FSD deactivated on all.
My car updated to 2023.26.8, but my PWs are still on 23.12.10. Last night worked a little better after the update since it is mostly filling the PWs in the morning, but is is still putting 1 kW into the car. I guess I can live with that and overall it is working fairly well, at least I'm not constantly stopping, starting, and adjusting the car charging to only use solar to charge the car.

Attachments

• IMG_1682.png
    IMG_1682.png
    568.5 KB · Views: 59
In Tom Moloughney's recent video on his YouTube Channel he showed an unboxing of the new Universal Wall Connector that has a NACS handle and a built-in J1772 "Magic Dock" like adapter integrated. Toward the end of the video he mentioned that Tesla promised that there would be app updates "soon" to provide additional connected features for the Universal Wall Connector and the Gen 3 Tesla Wall Connector. He also showed the screen shots below that must have been provided by Tesla.

TeslaUniversalWC_AppScreenshots.JPG

Today's Charge On Solar feature requires a Tesla vehicle to modulate the vehicle's charging current to match the available solar. I know it's kind of a stretch, but it would be really cool if they extended this feature so that the charging power modulation was handled by the Wall Connector, Universal type or Tesla only type. If and when this feature is actually delivered, I will spend the money to buy a Universal Wall Connector even though I have a perfectly good 40A J1772 EVSE for my J1772 vehicle.

Reactions: YRide
We finally got the latest updates on our Powerwalls and one of our cars so I made a quick video of how it all works. I think they did a really nice job on this. I've got 3 Powerwall 2's, and two vintages of solar. An original Solaredge 7.4 kWh system and another smaller system 4.8 kWh with a Tesla inverter. The system first charges up the Powerwalls and then during the remainder off off-peak time will send extra solar to our Model Y. One you get into peak it just sends everything to the grid.

We finally got the latest updates on our Powerwalls and one of our cars so I made a quick video of how it all works. I think they did a really nice job on this. I've got 3 Powerwall 2's, and two vintages of solar. An original Solaredge 7.4 kWh system and another smaller system 4.8 kWh with a Tesla inverter. The system first charges up the Powerwalls and then during the remainder off off-peak time will send extra solar to our Model Y. One you get into peak it just sends everything to the grid.

Does he says, since I did not see, what is PW reserve is set at?

Still so far, my manual process is easier

One behavioral thing I can’t figure out with CoS…

Is there an easy “one time” way to force charging to the first (any source) limit when you have either 1) depart by X or 2) start charging at X set?

It seems if you plug-in the car more then a certain number of hours (I heard 6) away from the start at or leave by time…then it waits until the next day.

Furthermore, if you have multiple EV’s, it seems CoS selects the earliest one plugged in. So if your 2nd or 3rd needs a charge, say you need to leave in 1-2hrs and you want to force charging….it seems like you have to turn off the scheduled charging and force it. You may even have to disable CoS. I need to play with this a bit..

I haven't tried your scenario but none of the things that I've tried have prioritized PW charging. I definitely want the PWs charged to 100% from solar every sunny day before charging the vehicle. I've tried Self-Powered and Time-based Control and neither prioritized PW. I've seen in this thread and on videos some folks have had alerts on the screen saying something like vehicle charging is paused while PWs are filled. Has anyone figured out the secret combination of settings to make that happen?

Side note:
Thanks to those who pointed out that CoS doesn't magically appear immediately after you have the requisite vehicle firmware, PW, and app versions. I waited about 12 hours and as suggested I logged out and back in on the app. A pop-up then appeared prompting me to do the setup.

The system first charges up the Powerwalls and then during the remainder off off-peak time will send extra solar to our Model Y
How did you get it to prioritize the PW before charging the car? I thought from what's been said that the only way to do that is to set the PW reserve to 100%... which kind of prevents discharging from the PW unless the grid is down.

Reactions: h2ofun
I thought I understood CoS until today when I really need to charge my car at 10:00 am. I've turned off CoS, but no matter what I do, I can't get my system to charge the car above 5 amps. I know the Powerwalls are not fully charged, but I don't care. I just want the d%$# car charged at 48A. Any help would be appreciated. It is going to be irritating to have to go to the local Supercharger just to be able to go to a restaurant.

Reactions: YRide